Un-remarkable BMW re-fresh. DONE.

Re: A rather un-remarkable BMW re-fresh.

HerrDeacon said:
That bike will be able to take you places. Nice touring machine you now have, enjoy it before winter hits. Great work cleaning it up.

Thanks bro. I was excited, planning a little trip today. Rolled her out, hit the button...Dead battery. LOL. After a quick charge I got her to fire up. So, put her on the trickle, ate lunch and took a nap. ::)

No luck Whitetail hunting,yet.
Got busy on the waterpump rebuild.

first thing I found was PO had stripped the head on the drain plug.

IMG_0410_zpsqhq3yaod.jpg

I may have found the bad seal...

IMG_0417_zpsjfeqrr3g.jpg

Cleaning and re-assemble.

IMG_0434_zpsdcioim8l.jpg

IMG_0423_zpsfkowxf3h.jpg

IMG_0431_zpscxv21e4h.jpg

IMG_0440_zpsgsqifstp.jpg

All done but the finishing part. Waiting for the new drain bolt to arrive.

IMG_0444_zpspyxqfu5b.jpg

So you were able to simply replace the seal inside the water/oil pump, rather than replacing the entire pump??? Good on you!

May I ask, what is the part number for the replacement seal?

cookiemech said:
So you were able to simply replace the seal inside the water/oil pump, rather than replacing the entire pump??? Good on you!

May I ask, what is the part number for the replacement seal?

Well, fingers crossed. It had a spacer bushing that came with. Had I installed the spacer it really seems it would have crushed the seal. Same as in the picture above. So, I didnt install the spacer. Im not at all sure. But, could be some other years may have had a shorter impeller shoulder? Thus, calling for the spacer. I just dont know if this is gonna work out until my new drain plug arrives.

Heres the link...
http://store.bobsbmw.com/microfiche/BrowseParts.aspx?GroupName=Engine+(11)&MBike=51741&GroupID=11

OK found something. Apparently, some K75 bikes have this style impeller which requires the spacer. But the parts sites dont breakdown by YEAR, only by model. So your really just kinda guessing when buying parts.

Its weird how much "assuming" and "figure it out on your own" comes along w BMW parts websites and even the service manuals. Ugh.

Screen%20Shot%202016-11-25%20at%207.24.46%20PM_zpsfkdrx7r6.png

Thanks for the information . . . after all the years I've had K75s, I was under the distinct impression that the only "official" fix for a leaking pump was to replace the entire pump, at considerable cost (since I have one on the shelf, I know!) I had heard of seal-only replacement, but thought that this was a "kluge" and not a piece sourced from BMW.

Now I know!

This is a fine looking K sir. I have to admit that even though I have always been intrigued with those motors, just looking at the coolant and extra seals to go along with the BMW quirks makes me happy to have an airhead.

And white with the motorsport stripes would be nice.

MORK said:
This is a fine looking K sir. I have to admit that even though I have always been intrigued with those motors, just looking at the coolant and extra seals to go along with the BMW quirks makes me happy to have an airhead.

And white with the motorsport stripes would be nice.

Thanks all.

I originally had been perusing airheads. But for the money I couldnt pass this one up. Its my first water cooled/fuel injected bike.

I enjoy working on bikes a little more than actually riding them. (Im in Illinois which has to be the most boring place for riding. Hopefully all that will change, now that I have a bike w enough HP to take me out of this state and into more interesting territory.)

So far this Brick and I are a good match. ;)

I think Im gonna go w the graphite paint.
But the white is really nice looking too.

Are these the Motorsport stripes you are thinking of?

Screen%20Shot%202016-11-28%20at%205.31.38%20AM_zpsxjlzrep0.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-11-28%20at%205.30.43%20AM_zpskhw6ovqn.png

I stopped by my buddy Davey's garage over the weekend. hes not a pro painter, but really getting pretty good.
We looked at some color samples.

I like this green but the flake is just too big.

FullSizeRender_zpsk4lxrf46.jpg

But I really prefer the graphite w smaller flake for this machine.

FullSizeRender1_zps0y65np0g.jpg

trek97 said:
Are these the Motorsport stripes you are thinking of?

Those are the colors.

The Motorsport roundel with white could be a good clean look as well.

I have a similar graphite grey/silver on mine and I have had about enough of it. I will most likely be repainting this winter.

3DogNate said:
BORING! There are bikes to purist on and K series ain't it...
That's not the point. I could give a fuck about purist, otherwise I wouldn't be doing the shit I'm doing to my own bike. My point is that the BMW colors are really, really nice especially during that era...

25f46bd0.jpg

2614aa80.jpg

2634aa80.jpg

2654aa80.jpg

Ok guys. Im pretty darned colorblind. I think Im going w the graphite. I love that color on my 360 in flat finish. I think I will like it just as much in gloss on the bmw.

BTW the wife says No Way. So youre not alone. HA!

Yep going w the graphite. ;D

Martin over at motobrick.com suggested a clutch actuator mod. Its a great idea. To service the little needle bearings in this lever, you have to pull the exhaust, foot peg plate, rear tire, remove clutch cable, just to remove this lever. Then once greased and re-fitted adjust clutch! and re-install everything. Ugh.

By adding this zerk...NONE of that bull shit. 2 pumps, wipe excess and done.

IMG_0493_zpsqygpzjb2.jpg

Before starting work I even gave it a half assed polish.

IMG_0498_zpsugxbrwc7.jpg

IMG_0501_zpsv2wgzlmr.jpg

IMG_0505_zpsgd0tgmrd.jpg

I'm proud of you buddy. You're doing this bike right and she will treat you well as a result. Really enjoying watching your progress. I believe you have earned the right to wear one of these now sir!
cf831a4dfb1d82a2ed46952fd5636bcd.jpg

I don't know about the belt, but I agree with Kiley on the rest of his points. Ha

Back
Top Bottom