From CB450 Racer to Bobber

Excellent hide on the the rectifier/regulator. Good airflow there too.

This build rocks my sh*t.

What tank are you using? Did you have problems getting it to fit over the frame backbone?

Hi guys and girls,

It's been way too long and haven't been able to work on the bike a lot. Updates should arrive soon!

What did happen though is that my '57 Land Rover has found a new home to make room for this:

716eebe53d0890e47054fedbd1395f44.jpg

On my lovely new bikelift is the CB750 from an earlier post, which currently looks like this:

8799991d97184b4b9d5169acd866c25c.jpg

Straight-forward old-skool cafe racer, just to have some fun with...

Oh, and Ross, I bought the tank in Germany, from Dock66 (http://www.dock66.de/shop/de//-pp-22-L-pp.html). I have welded two bungs to the backbone to fit the tank, no other mods were necessary to the tank or the backbone.

Will hopefully be able to show some progress on the bobber soon (exhausts, wiring, battery box, etc)!

Hi there!

Can't believe it's been over a year since my last update on the bobber. Time flies when you are having fun (or a busy job for that matter)...

Anyway, work has progressed, so here is the latest. The battery box has now been finished and houses the battery (duh), fuses, some relays, but also the switches for the ignition, horn and lights as well as a bracket for the brake light switch. Lid is fixed with two quick release fasteners (remember that racing twist I wanted?).

89093c25a45ee28702c6392da30f8d40_zps83bc719c.jpg

The wiring for the bike is also finished, but at the moment I don't have any decent pictures of it. Will follow soon.

a9206fee52a702c8439f4963da246274_zps2bb263b1.jpg

Another addition is the fitment of a speedometer. Well a bike computer... I wanted the front end to be as clean as possible so the (GPS-operated) computer has found a place between the seat and the tank. Not the most practical location, I know, but it is just to avoid any questions from the officer if I get pulled over. And obviously it can be removed very quickly for the ultra-clean look...

0be508dd8d26efc09b0ad74fb9d897e8_zpsa040090a.jpg

Exhaust update to follow!

And as promised, the exhaust update!

This has been one of the areas where a lot of thinking was spent. I wanted a scrambler style exhaust, but not as bulky as the normal ones. It needed to have a racey look and not look stock.

So, after a lot of fiddling with 43mm stainless steel pipework, things started to shape up.

d61d9403f82e0000d28b36e0e698a068_zps0fc84bf9.jpg

Then a bit later it looked like this.

dc8993f73cb5e2f06e01cc5ab2a31bb2_zpsb3586ad4.jpg

be560836f71552e4ed7ff61da876706c_zpsa4363635.jpg

And much more later like this.

5adb9974269ab9dfeae4cfe28a9cdaf5_zps0687ebfe.jpg

Coming back to the racey look (and for ease of fitment) the pipes are split halfway and connected with springs. Exhaust springs are just cool.

0e91c64c58d14b5788d1f81d84d379c4_zps6a6ce7d3.jpg

Another reason for splitting the pipes was to be able to install mufflers in the end pipes. That is still to be done.

So the overall look of the bike at the moment?

807c014e87db25c223b78218a8888f96_zps68f01475.jpg

Happy days!

Oh, before I forget, for the ones that are interested, the CB750K2 is also back on the road. Just a quick and dirty cafe racer build. It's being used very often and huge fun!

0e74676ca5b656fa8743ad42591c4e94_zps43cf2a56.jpg

798bf792a63dad680a77e7338b59d594_zps35f0486f.jpg

Talk to you soon!

That is a great looking bike man!! Those pipes are sweet wish I had the tools to build some like that for my 450 tracker I'm working on.

Update time!

After the last update, there was not a lot left to finish. It was basically a matter of tearing it down, getting the frame coated, the tank painted and putting it back together.

So here is what the tank turned out like. The rucksack is painted to match the bike, you gotta ride in style of course ;-)

The frame was then powdercoated in a matte dark grey colour. The first thing to go back in was the engine. Put the engine on its side, lift the frame over it, job done.

Then the fork, wheels, well, I don’t have to tell you guys how to put a bike together, do I?

Anyway, after some more hours, this is what I ended up with.

Next episode: Firing it up for the first time...

pretty fing cool bike man. any reason you went with a tank that didnt have a deep tunnel on it? definitely has some style sir

cool looking bike if you are into that ???
but the riding position and cornering clearance are horrible
how funny do you look on it ?

xb33bsa said:
cool looking bike if you are into that ???
but the riding position and cornering clearance are horrible
how funny do you look on it ?

Wow XB's talking shit about someone with a bike that doesn't look exactly like his. That never happens. Ever. ::). Looks awesome.

redahtamn said:
pretty fing cool bike man. any reason you went with a tank that didnt have a deep tunnel on it? definitely has some style sir

A friend had it and wasn't using it for his project, so I just tested it on mine. I liked the flowing line it created with the upper triple tree clamp and the seat. It also allows for a clear view of the top of the engine.

Had I tried another tank it might have looked different 8)

Happy with it though, it looks just right!

And then the time came to fire it up for the first time…

Ignition on, fuel taps open, kicked it once, kicked it twice , a third time and it fired up! That first joy quickly went when I realised it was only running on one cylinder.

I tried the basics first of course, fuel and spark were present. Checked the timing, swapped the carbs, still no joy. Then back to more basics, checked the compression. Disaster. The right hand cylinder had no compression whatsoever. A leak test quickly revealed the issue. As much air was coming out of the exhaust as I was putting into the cylinder.

A day after I finished building it, I took the engine out again and lifted the head. Root cause: A bent exhaust valve. The picture shows what should have been a closed valve. The torch behind it clearly shows it isn't...

No marks on the piston and I am sure that during assembly nothing touched either. I think I have accidentally placed the head with the exhaust valve open onto something on the workbench before assembling the engine and bent the valve then.

Anyway, a new valve went in, I put the engine back together, installed it into the bike again and was really happy with the attention to detail I have put into the build. It is so easy to work on!

Then the moment of truth. Ignition on, fuel taps open, kicked it once, kicked it twice and to my delight it fired up on both cylinders and ran beautifully.
Last weekend I had the chance to take it out on the road for the first time and I am chuffed with it. Ground clearance in the corners is sufficient, just, but other than that it runs, steers, rides, brakes and handles like a Honda ;)

It will go on a rolling road somewhere in the coming weeks to fine-tune the carbs.

Here are two more pictures for you to enjoy. I will upload a few more later on, my brother and girlfriend like photography...

I would also like to thank everyone that helped me building this bike. Dolf, Martin, Frans, Joep, the members of the Rosbief Racing Team, THANKS!!

Guys and girls, thanks for all your kind comments and feedback during the build and ‘till later!

Back
Top Bottom