1983 Suzuki GS850 Shaft Drive hard tail

Re: 1983 Suzuki GS850 Shaft Drive Bobber!

ticrazy05 said:
My bike is a 1982 GS850GLZ

I got the second tank of eBay and its off a 79 SUZUKI GS550.

Please give feedback and help us move forward with our project.

Thanks

are you replying to me?

haha i was just sharing some thoughts with "redahtamn" and any members who visit this thread.

I have been confused on trying to decide what to do with the bike.

If you have some ideas, you can share it with us.

honestly the angle is very slight. It also only affects the rear shaft drive portion of the bike. I dont see any issues with the way it currently sits. The wheel spins just as easily as it did while in its stock form. In fact, the original stock bike had a steeper angle, just down instead of up. check it out http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=gs850+shaft&FORM=HDRSC2&adlt=strict#view=detail&id=8E08DAF27444AA507E83FF057AA6905CDF73BDA6&selectedIndex=21

As for the tank, I am keeping it large

As for the seat, I am going to be building a solo seat for the bike out of 1/8 steel and some herman oak leather. I am using a shock mount instead of springs for the seat. The angle of my downtube was too extreme for a solo seat to look proper if I just used regular springs.

I should have the bike fully mocked up within the next few weeks.

I am working on polishing up and reworking the front forks at the moment..

I agree.

Keep us posted on your progress.

looking at the pictures that i posted for you, which tank would you suggest that i go with?

Thanks

both tanks have a positive effect from where I am sitting.

The smaller tank really lets the engine show itself. I have seen them done using sportster tanks and its almost too much engine. but then again, engine is a bit like cleavage to me ;) I also really like the gas cap being round and centered on the tank. I am not a big fan of the rectangle gas cap of the original tank. One other positive aspect of the smaller tank is the placement of the seat. with the tanks physical size being smaller than that of the original tank you have more room to manuever and properly place the solo seat.

I am planning on keeping the original tank because the tank matches the lines of my bike. it really does flow right into the backbone of the bike. I am going to be going with a more sleek/technical/modern paint scheme with the bike and the rectangle gas cap actually fits with the scheme and design.

Ultimately its up to what you want to build. Pick a color scheme and take a step back, do some drinking, do some thinking or just dont do anything and it will come to you.

i like em both, cant go wrong with either in my opinion

redahtamn said:
both tanks have a positive effect from where I am sitting.

The smaller tank really lets the engine show itself. I have seen them done using sportster tanks and its almost too much engine. but then again, engine is a bit like cleavage to me ;) I also really like the gas cap being round and centered on the tank. I am not a big fan of the rectangle gas cap of the original tank. One other positive aspect of the smaller tank is the placement of the seat. with the tanks physical size being smaller than that of the original tank you have more room to manuever and properly place the solo seat.

I am planning on keeping the original tank because the tank matches the lines of my bike. it really does flow right into the backbone of the bike. I am going to be going with a more sleek/technical/modern paint scheme with the bike and the rectangle gas cap actually fits with the scheme and design.

Ultimately its up to what you want to build. Pick a color scheme and take a step back, do some drinking, do some thinking or just dont do anything and it will come to you.

i like em both, cant go wrong with either in my opinion

I like the look of the tank with the offset cap. You will appreciate it when your filling up... Sportster tanks, in my opinion are over done. look for the other tank that came on some sportsters. it was a little wider and rounder.....

ive actually got quite a bit more comleted but all the steps are about 75% complete and dependent on each other to get finished. ill post pics when i actually get something done thats worth showing :-\

Finally getting around to getting some stuff done here

First things first, foot pegs

They were too wide and too long to properly fit in the slot..... angle grinder time
106_zps505f1789.jpg

110_zps789f5bec.jpg

116_zps192b145a.jpg

117_zpscc4466a0.jpg

After I got them to fit inside the bracket I noticed that the shift lever was going to hit if i didnt shim the bracket, just had to add an extra washer is all

Easy peasy nice and easy.... DONE!
111_zpsbc0780ad.jpg

112_zps8e1b247b.jpg

they may not be a fabricators idea of awesome, but I think theyre great and thats all that matters

With those out of the way I went after the rear fender. I Drilled and tapped some holes into the mounts that were welded on but had to get rid of the mount built into the fender.

Angle grinder to the rescue!!!
1. Ground off the inner portion of the rivets
097_zpsb1d8fbe0.jpg

2. popped them out
099_zps9e284424.jpg

3. removed bracket
100_zps8f62279f.jpg

Next thing you know... BAM! fender was in place

So now that the fender was mounted and the pegs were going I set my sights to the location of my turn signals......... I really didnt want any but the law and my safety state otherwise. So I got to thinking.

Heres what I came up with.
122_zpsb2bf5706.jpg

123_zps7ff0e6fc.jpg

124_zps8ff63369.jpg

I plan on making these integrated by using a pair of led smd rings. The current signals are designed to be stop/run so adding the extra ring will give me my turn signals or stop signals depending which is brighter.

Heres what I am going to use-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-2x-50MM-15leds-3528-SMD-Led-Car-Angel-Eyes-Halo-Ring-Light-Bright-AR1-/310760705024?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item485ac80c00&vxp=mtr

Coming along nicely. Love the foot pegs. I ripped the rubber off my stock ones and called it a day... The LED ring is nice, and cheap! WOW great idea there too!

Finally got around to making my integrated turn signals

1. Broke open the shells and cut the black (ground) coming from the original light
P1010121_zpsc85401bb.jpg

P1010122_zps32c1f3b5.jpg

2. I placed a butt splice on the outgoing negative lead
P1010125_zpsfbd987c5.jpg

3. Installed a new wire that will provide the +12V to the LED Ring
P1010127_zps3c83736c.jpg

P1010128_zpsb46cb9d7.jpg

4. Epoxy glued the SMD LED Ring into the face of the light housing
P1010119_zps41f9b63a.jpg

5. Pulled the led ring wires into the housing
P1010125_zpsfbd987c5.jpg

6. Spliced the three negative leads together
P1010129_zps2001e306.jpg

7. spliced the new +12V wire for the led together
P1010130_zpsb657a86b.jpg

It ended up looking like this
P1010131_zps9cef9b53.jpg

Then this
P1010132_zps66669401.jpg

I then ran a few tests

Run lights
P1010135_zps2e42ff39.jpg

Turn Lights
P1010136_zps422242ed.jpg

Stop
P1010133_zps505f4d85.jpg

Run+Stop
P1010137_zps9d230a5c.jpg

Run+Turn
P1010134_zps5df81ecc.jpg

Its hard to tell the difference between the stop+run and stop+turn in the pics, i will have to do a video to fully illustrate what they do. They work really well in the real world. not so much as static pictures on the interweb. I am pretty damned happy with em in the end thought.

Started on getting the brake calipers cleaned up today

Got my tools ready (forgot the pick in the pic)
P1010004_zps28b784be.jpg

Got out the old gasket (glad I did :eek:)
P1010005_zps05d09be3.jpg

Got my dremel with brass brush on
P1010001_zps1f883f78.jpg

Cleaned it up with some steel wool and pick action and BAM! ready to install rebuild kits
P1010003_zps3865d15f.jpg

Anyone have tips or ideas for what else I should do while they are apart and ready to rebuild?

totally dropped off the radar with this one. its actually almost complete. I will have to get all my pics uploaded and share some build progress when ive got time

Back
Top Bottom