What would you do with a cb125 frame and fatboy wheels?

reelop19

So I'm in an odd situation here. I sold off my bobber project and I am left with some newly powdercoated Fatboy wheels with new whitewall tires. 3/4" axle. Can't sell them because nobody wants to pay what I have into them. So I want to use them on a new project. Well it just so happens I have a cb125 frame laying around that I've been wanting to build (I have no motor just a frame). I can cut, weld, and grind in my garage. I'm seriously considering getting a frame jig and building something here. This 3/4" axle thing has me wondering what I should do though. I don't know of anything I could adapt to the front so I'm thinking of welding on a neck from a bike that uses a 3/4" axle. I'm just not sure what to do with the swingarm because I don't want to hardtail it. Any ideas?

I put harley touring wheels and front end on my cb360. it can be done. Check my thread for info on adapting the neck and swingarm.

why would you change the neck to deal with an axle diameter mismatch? you can change wheel bearings to a different axle diameter, or machine adapters between two diameters, or drill the fork clamps to 3/4".....there's quite a few options to consider before going and swapping a neck, I've actually never heard of swapping a neck to deal with an axle diameter.

Ya that seems a little drastic. If you want to build something just buy a Harley neck, get a jig, and build a frame to fit whatever motor you wanna drop in. The cb125 frame isn't going to be adaptable realistically to much of anything, especially anything with more cc's.

yeah I missed the part about swapping it because of the axle. You can get bearings in different sizes... I was thinking you wanted to put a harley front end on as well as part of your build. but if you're only doing it to use those wheels...

For power, that frame would easily accept a Chinese 230cc CG engine, which is a cool pushrod piece. It has a unique sound, and it'll haul you and those Fatboy wheels around a little better. The last one I bought on CL was $20.00. Parts are cheap as chips on eBay, and you'll have 12v electrics.

panelrodder said:
Where did this go? I'm interested in if there is progress on this idea.

it is an extremely poorly concieved idea ::) even putting 45lb harley wheels on a 360 is really dumb, putting them on a 11 horsepower 125 would be idiotic
it takes power to move big wheels heavy enough to anchor a ship, also the detriment to stopping and handling just makes it stupid. light wheels are one of the best ways to improve a motorcycle, putting on ones that weigh 3-5xx MORE than the originals is for sure the best way to TOTALLY ruin any lightweight bike

the only real way to put the two together is cut the neck from the cb125 frame if you have a title for it.....and build a frame from complete scratch to use whatever motor you want yet register the finished bike as a cb125 using that neck to build the frame.

Since you wanted an update here it is:

Many turn there noses at it but I don't care. I've gotten to practice a lot of welding and fabricating.

Be different, that's how things change and we get new ideas. I like it. Keep the updates coming and quickly! RIght meow.

could probably move around OK with one of those 200cc lifan motors, they bolt right in to the cb125 mounts....

Back
Top Bottom