Hello from Pittsburgh, PA! - '77 XS360 First-Time Build

anotherkindofmonday

I like to make things and think about them.
Hello, Everyone!

Long story short, I had been looking for a cafe project for a looooong time. I put it off and put it off because I don't have a garage or really any space at all to work on a bike. After a while I took the leap. I found a great, almost finished cafe project bike in Cinci. I slapped my cash down and was ready to go get the bike when the seller called me and told me that it got hit while in his shared garage. He refunded my deposit and I went on my way.

I started thinking, though, that what I really wanted was my *own* bike. Something "built, not bought." So, my friend and resident old Japanese bike expert Doug turned me onto this 77 XS360-2D that his neighbor was selling. Two phone calls and a little cash later and I was on my way to Buffalo to pick up my new ride!

It runs hard, kicks easily, and looks pretty slick to boot. It's been hard to find some parts because they made, like, 6 of these bikes. But, it's going fine so far.

For now, there are some bodged up bits on the bike: the PO had mounted PURPLE LEDs all over the bike (which are already gone!); the left rear shock is installed backwards, forcing the chain guard against the tire; the cables are routed a bit screwy; and there is A LOT of polishing to do.

So far, I've gotten it ready to pass inspection (PASSED!) by fixing lots of little odds and ends, fixed the chain guard rubbing issue (temporarily, more on that later), fixed a charging problem, changed the oil, lubed the bits that needed lubing, etc.

Here are some pics:

IMG_0821.JPG

IMG_0822.JPG

IMG_0823.JPG

IMG_0824.JPG

IMG_0840.JPG

IMG_0841.JPG

IMG_0842.JPG

Hmmm...what seat can I fit over these wide-ass frame rails?

IMG_0848.JPG

I really love the stock color and the shape of the tank. I think I am going to put some superbike bars on (more on my clubman saga and my spine later), maybe fab up a manx seat (see, only a few weeks on the boards and I sound like I know what I am talking about already!).

Coming soon: The Backyard Budget Build!

I have no garage, almost no tools, less experience, and some free time. I have learned a lot from the boards already and can't wait to get wrenching some more!

It's my only transportation, so I'd like to keep it rideable while I work on over the summer. All bets are off once winter comes and I put it in my buddy's garage across town, though! Oh, and did I mention that I'm poor - like: grad student poor??

Looking forward to learning more and, hopefully, contributing a bit as I go!!

(Plus, you Canadians all have me missing the TO something fierce!)

Back
Top Bottom