Anyone dabble in decal design?

Alex jb

Been Around the Block
I want to make up a decal, got a couple of ideas, but I'm no graphic designer nor do I have any software to make up something worth while.
Tried a couple of apple apps and they were rubbish.

My uncle used to build motorcycle and side car rigs that did well at IOM and tons of other places.
He's real old now and suffers from dimensia so doesn't recognise most family these days, so I wanted to use his name on my bike build.

Below is a couple of the rough ideas I was thinking
cd378ea52ff994a356f549e403a5a498.jpg

c34f1bd551fc36b1c06099ee1019fe21.jpg

e32524fb60cdb6b4af430a9427fe805a.jpg

I like the first one best, anyone fancy having a bash?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd probably go with the first or third. Third is best for actual decal production since it is the simplest (unless you wanted them printed, in which case it doesn't matter).

For production, I cut vinyl decals in house as a part of my business. There are some limitations as far as colors go (think of each color as a 'layer') but the plus is that I can generally cut small runs for an affordable price. Printing is more expensive especially for a small run but you have the flexibility to use any CMYK color and print more complex designs, then have the outer circle contour cut.

Printed decals:
5dc7887f479ad48c5bdd04e46b8ea421.jpg

Cut decals:
09688604ca12c868e2d46f5264119231.jpg

b46dce27b23977e0dc9e5305199a7910.jpg

I was going to suggest a PM to AdvCo (Nick) but he already chimed in. Another member who can help you out is Sonreir (Matt from Sparcmoto) he saved my but by re-producing a set of OEM decals for a bike I was painting for my boss a few years back.

Thanks guys,
I do like the first one most, need to get it onto paper better and I was thinking just black and white but could go for a colour in there too.
My bike Tidler is a ruby red colour, but I have done bits on friends bikes both motor and pedal so could well end up putting a few around.

I may change the text to
'Gordon Bate & Co Custom Bicycle Motorcycle & sidecar shop'

Tidler
9c34d898f002b4273e1edcb8048cc1d0.jpg

One of the bicycles I built
a073f1170ffa8f7fff543558b4ad7ea0.jpg

Thinking the decal would be about 5" dia, perfect for a motorcycle fender/tank/seat hump, but that would be too big for a bicycle, so may have to re-think the round layout for a second small batch.

I have the ability to do vector artwork for logo design. I am a young industrial designer and love to try new projects. I haven't done much as far as logo design but would love to help out.

kagraves said:
I have the ability to do vector artwork for logo design. I am a young industrial designer and love to try new projects. I haven't done much as far as logo design but would love to help out.
That would be great, I'm open to ideas.

I'm a mechanical/fluid power engineer so I work with schematics, 3D models and 1D simulation so there's not a lot of flare left in me!

Hey man sorry I just moved cross country to San Diego so I have had a lot on my plate. Let me know what logo you would like amd try to get it drawn out as close to where you want it. It doesn't app have to be one image of that makes it easier for you. I cam compile bits and pieces for you.

I used a kids drawing app to put some colour on the round logo, I was only thinking simple circles and colour with the text in black
d2fd40b5445a0608664ff9b73285b362.jpg

That's brilliant thanks!

My wife likes E the best but I am torn, could you put the centre 'Bate & Co' in white on B?

Thanks for your help, couldn't get close to that with the programs that I downloaded.

I attached the files below because the online sources are blocking my accounts.

Attachments

• Bate & Co options.jpg
    Bate & Co options.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 221
  • Bate & Co options 2.jpg
    Bate & Co options 2.jpg
    803.5 KB · Views: 209
  • Bate & Co G.jpg
    Bate & Co G.jpg
    911.1 KB · Views: 211
  • Bate & Co H.jpg
    Bate & Co H.jpg
    906.8 KB · Views: 207
let me know if there are any changes that you would like made and what file format you would like them in.

Back
Top Bottom