CB360 vs. Bullet 500

scott s

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
I have both of these bikes in my garage right now. 1975 CB360 that I got in a package deal and have done a good bit of work on. The hard stuff is done.
2008Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Electra. Got in trade for my van. Both are runners, both have titles. Trying to decide which one to keep for the GF.

She's super excited about the S90 I'm working on, so that will be her "return to riding" bike at first, but I want something a little more capable for the long term. What would you pick? Both have Pro's and Con's.

CB360
-More HP and better top end
-Slightly more highway friendly, not that she'd be doing that a lot
-Cool, true vintage
-Already a little banged up, so a scratch or a drop won't matter.

*Still needs some work and tweaking
*Master cylinder needs replaced (have one that would work), horn doesn't work.
*Start button is grounded somewhere, so it needs a new RH control
*Seat needs repair
*Needs tires.
*Need to rinse tank again. Got a little fuzzy stuff that came back.
*Low beam out

Bullet 500
-Just about ready to ride
-Looks vintage but is (sorta) modern
-Could be ready to go EASILY
-WAY better shape cosmetically
-Cool factor of the R.E. fame

*Needs a headlight (low beam out)
*Battery is a little weak, so I'd replace that for her
*She wants a solo seat (cheaper than repairing the seat of the CB360)
*Limited HP and top speed compared to the CB360
*Limited highway usefulness but, again, not really a big deal.
*Service schedule is way shorter than any Honda. Requires frequent tune ups, doable at home.

Which would you pick to keep? I'd let the CB360 go for ~$1000, as-is, right now. For another $300-400 I could have it done and her on the road.
The Enfield is worth about $2500 as-is, and I have nowhere NEAR that in it. I could make a nice profit. Way more profit than the 360. But I kinda dig the R.E. And it'd be like hitting the "easy button" to get that one DONE.

Depends on if you want to get phone calls about "I'm at Panda Express and my bike won't start again" etc. I feel like if your gf doesn't enjoy the "fun" of fixing old stuff the RE is the way to go. 2008 has the UCE and throttle body injection right?

Here's where I list all my bikes:
'71 Kaw 250 Bison
'81 KZ750 cafe
'94 XR250L
2014 Yamaha Bolt

In progress: '68 CL350

+1.

The cb is true vintage, to be sure, but with that comes the extra work of keeping an old bike running. Having fuel injection and being built in the last decade make the Enfield the better choice for daily, or even just weekly, riding. Having the history behind the R.E adds to points in its favour

Is the RE made in India? Right shift and left brake? The RE is emissions burdened quite a bit, right? I get where the opinion that having a bike you rarely have to work on is great, but it's funny to me since the reason we're all here is because we enjoy working on bikes.

Personally, I have a weird love of the 360. It's easy to work on and easy to modify. If I'm in your shoes, I'm selling the RE because of the opportunity to make some money- not because which is better or worse. At this point, no one knows where her tastes develop as she rides more, either. No matter what you choose, it doesn't look like you can lose.

Those REs aren't exactly known for reliability. Just because it's "new" doesn't guarantee it's quality.

My vote goes for the Enfield, but then I am an RE fan fro waaaay back.

On a practical note - the Electra Enfields are proving very reliable here in the UK, and there's a shed load of upgrades IF you want more power etc.

The Enfield also lends itself to mods - Cafe Racer, Trail bike, etc.

Be a real man and get a Honda CT90. You can pull a dead bull-moose up an arctic mountain with one of those fuckers.

I say keep the enfield. It's a cooler bike. No it's not "vintage" but who really cares?

I don't believe I've ever heard of a Royal Enfield hauling a bull-moose out of the Alaskan Wilderness, uprooting a giant sequoia stump, or riding through a sharknado without stalling. A CT90 can give you all of that.

irk miller said:
Who asked for your opinion? :-\

No one ever does. That doesn't stop me from giving it
You guys are lucky I don't charge for it. ;D

You're just mad because you said 360's are cool

I have no personal experience with a RE but a friend of mine had one and it was very unreliable, mostly electrical issues.

Luugo86 said:
Be a real man and get a Honda CT90. You can pull a dead bull-moose up an arctic mountain with one of those fuckers.

I want one. If I can sell the R.E. and the 360, you can rest assured I'll be looking for one. No projects, though.

Rider52 said:
IMHO sell both and fix up the S90 for her.

The S90 is getting back on the road regardless. I've now listed both the 360 and the 500 on CL.

Back
Top Bottom