Deacon's CB350

Re: Deacon's 1972 CB350 Cafe Project

Still not much physical change/work done as I haven't really had the complete picture of the bike worked out in my head yet. Well, I think I have it now, at least have something down on paper (digital paper :D ). This way I can get a better idea of things and work them out before hand. Still some things to work out and there are a lot of things omitted from the drawing just to clean it up a bit. Didn't want it too cluttered looking. At least now I have something down on paper that I can work towards. I'll print it off and stick it up in the garage.

mockupWeb.jpg

Nice drawing!
The project is comin along nicely.
You mentioned how small she looks next to your other bikes.
Reminds me of the day I sold my CB350 years ago.
I had been riding the KZ exclusively at the time, and then rode the CB to deliver her.
Man did she ever feel small.
I put a lot of fun miles on her in her day, and wish I never sold her.

Keep the progess info coming. 8)

That mockup looks sweet.... Can't wait to see how this pans out.

HerrDeacon said:
Still some things to work out

dude, you're gonna need more spokes ::)

Seriously nice drawing tho'. Looks like a nice build.

isn

Thanks guys, digital work was the easy part now I have to start the real work. Hopefully I can make it match my mockup.

bikeboy said:
dude, you're gonna need more spokes ::)

Nah, I figure Honda put too many on there anyway. This way I'll save weight and money as I will only have to buy one set of spokes ;D ;D

78kz said:
Reminds me of the day I sold my CB350 years ago.
I had been riding the KZ exclusively at the time, and then rode the CB to deliver her.
Man did she ever feel small.

Reminds me of one day I had to move the bikes around in the garage. Just finished putting the KZ up on the center stand, then did the same with the 400 and 350, almost launched the poor bikes, no weight at all to it, where I just finished struggling to put the KZ up. :D

Deacon, your mock up on the rearsets are truely interesting me, have you made any progress yet on them lately? aslo what product did you use on getting the covers polished up so nicely ??

I am also re-building a 72' CB350 into a cafe bike ( under "Very first cafe build " ), so I've been trying to keep up with all of the innovative idea's that people have been coming up with. Keep up the good fight.

pacaguy said:
Deacon, your mock up on the rearsets are truely interesting me, have you made any progress yet on them lately? aslo what product did you use on getting the covers polished up so nicely ??

I am also re-building a 72' CB350 into a cafe bike ( under "Very first cafe build " ), so I've been trying to keep up with all of the innovative idea's that people have been coming up with. Keep up the good fight.

Hey pacaguy, I just got through reading your thread as well, I'll be following your progress on that one, best of luck.

To polish the covers I first sanded them with the following grits: 240, 400, 600, 800, 1000 and 2000. After that I used a bench grinder with buffing pads using four types of compounds: black, brown, white and red. Bit time consuming but I usually just do a bit at a time.

As for the rearsets, I haven't made much progress at all. I have the shifter side cut out roughly but that's about it, haven't had much time lately. Also, I have to start doing some work on the KZ to get it ready for spring so the CB may be put on hold for a while.

HerrDeacon, Thanks for the polishing info, I really like how the covers turned out . As for the rearsets, PLEASE for the love of god, DON"T stop. I was looking at paultsmiths write up on " DIY rearsets" but he has not been on this site since December to ask him for complete CAD on the side cover unit.

As for my re-build that will be going a little slower than expected, I'm in need of a simple chain breaker so I can complete the tear down. would a " bolt cutter" snap a chain? I'm tired, been up since 3:30 a.m. dumb question.

i'll be watching this build as well, DON'T STOP !!!!! LOL
-P-

You started with 240! Were they deeply scratched or marred? seems really aggressive but your results speak for themselves. Most things I read say start with 600 and then do exactly as you have done.

diesel450 said:
You started with 240! Were they deeply scratched or marred? seems really aggressive but your results speak for themselves. Most things I read say start with 600 and then do exactly as you have done.

Yeah, I started with 400, but had to go down to 240 to get out some scratches. Was hoping to get them with the 400, but it was taking way too much time. I usually try to start with 400, but depends on the condition of the piece. If I'm lucky I can start with 600, but it hasn't happened too often on my bikes. :(

Do you use discs on a rotary tool? something else? or by hand?

what program did you use to make sketch? great build by the way nice aluminum.

diesel450 said:
Do you use discs on a rotary tool? something else? or by hand?

All the sanding is done by hand. I don't trust myself to use machinery with the delicate stuff ;D

whitexk said:
what program did you use to make sketch? great build by the way nice aluminum.

Just used Photoshop to make the picture. Used the bare frame as a reference and built it up from there.

HerrDeacon said:
All the sanding is done by hand. I don't trust myself to use machinery with the delicate stuff ;D

WOW! Can you give me an idea of how much time it takes you to do an average piece? I ask because I am polishing my covers right now and want them to look good.

Can I send you my covers? :-\ ::) ;D

diesel450 said:
WOW! Can you give me an idea of how much time it takes you to do an average piece? I ask because I am polishing my covers right now and want them to look good.

Can I send you my covers? :-\ ::) ;D

Depends on the size and complexity of the piece, but at least a few hours. The spocket cover above probably took 2-3 hours. I don't do it all at one time, just a half hour here and there. Most time consuming part is the first couple of grits. After that its not really too bad.

UUGGHH :-[

Me no have patience for that. They look really good though.

not having much patience and actually preferring a toned down luster I have a process that gives the covers a kind of shiny pewter look. Keeps them looking old but not ratty. Wire wheel to remove oxidation etc. Then wetsand 400-1500 but quick, the whole wire wheel sanding process takes about a half hour. then 4 buffing compounds black to green. Whole process takes about an hour and a half or so.

I guess I should slow down.

Great Job man!

I haven't been on her much so I've missed a lot. Looks like you're staying at it!

Ease said:
Great Job man!

I haven't been on her much so I've missed a lot. Looks like you're staying at it!

Trying to. :) Moved on to the KZ now though, as I need to get it ready for spring.

No progress at all with this build :-[ Other things keep getting in the way. Hope to get these few things straightened away over the next week or two and get back at it. I've been constantly working on it in my head though ;D

Did however get a nice piece for it on Friday...Roc City Adjustable clipons...all I can say is SWEET. Very nice work. Nothing like the look of machined aluminum, love it. Thanks Sean.

clipOns.jpg

Back
Top Bottom