82 GS1100 vintage street fighter? modern cafe? who the F knows....

The Jed

Been Around the Block
so I picked up this bad boy a little while ago. Was looking for something cheap I could ride this summer while I worked on it in the weekends, then pull apart and paint and chop over the winter. Turns out it needs a little more work to be road worthy than initially thought. Should be good to go soon though when a little funding arrives.

The day I brought it home:
gs1100-2_zps22d86274.jpg

The exhaust was in as great of shape as the paint:
gs1100-1_zps7894117e.jpg

Along the way i've found lovely things like this (and the previous owner rode the bike this way)
IMG_20130506_175024_744_resized_zps83661cff.jpg

Got the 50 lbs. worth of extra body parts stripped off
IMG_20130421_150451_846_resized_zps13fac798.jpg

Welded the exhaust back together and got to work sanding the shame away...
IMG_20130421_150659_995_resized_zps53be8e3e.jpg

Made a crappy headlight bracket and picked up some woodcraft k6 gixxer 1000 clip ons and switches on ebay
IMG_20130425_194551_445_resized_zpsec671f09.jpg

Lowered the guages about 3 inches, picked up some cheap turn signals, and lowered the front of the bike 1 1/2 inches
masterchief-9_zps70554d82.jpg

Here it is from another angle, as you can see, carbs need a good cleaning
masterchief-7_zpsafb03314.jpg

Bar end mirrors got delivered today
masterchief-11_zps8a6c6cc2.jpg

And that's how it sits. Still have some buttoning up to do to get on the road, fuel filter, fluids change, electrical (new switches), It has a draw on the battery that I need to get sorted out, valve clearances, Installing the dyna s ignition and coils, pods, cleaning carbs, and getting it jetted.

Eventual plans include new seat and rear fairing(with a hidden passenger seat) flat military green and gloss black paint, ducati street fighter headlight with custom fairing, belly pan, cut front fender, custom rear fender, and relocating electrical bits.

The idea behind this is to blend the "dirty" bare bones look of cafe's and "clean" modern tech(lights, gauges, etc.)

This thing brings a whole new meaning to do the "ton". Just got it off the scale....with a couple gallons of fuel and all other fluids full, it weighed in at a whopping 557 lbs! with a ridiculous rear bias (260 fr, 297 rr). However these things were 640 dry weight from the factory. I'd like to have it under 500 by the end of this, we shall see....

This is the part where I need some objective opinions....I don't care for the lines of the bike to an extent. I plan on raising the rear end of the bike a tad to help but the tank needs a bit more, so i just did some quick shots to decide what might look best. this will most likely have to be part of the winter project since i will need to wait until i have the chassis where i want it, but let's hear it. which angle do you like best for the tank?

stock...
masterchief-12_zps5e0eb231.jpg

rear raised 2 inches...
masterchief-13_zpscb64149d.jpg

rear raised about 4 inches...
masterchief-14_zpsff848739.jpg

I like the more aggressive up swept look of modern sport bikes. I also like the nice level look of a proper cafe, not much of a fan of the downswept look though...

Got bored and fidgety today, so I started chopping at the front fender while I wait on other things....
masterchief-15_zps6f14f64a.jpg

trying to decide if i want a rounded look or more pointed...

Man... there are so many things you can do with this bike, I'm salivating!
I'll second the Wess Cooley replica theme, or a cut-down Katana if you're into something (a wee bit) more modern.

Or go competely bonkers (attached)!

Subscribed.
M.

Attachments

• Suzuki GSX1100 met GS1000 tank.jpg
    Suzuki GSX1100 met GS1000 tank.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 18,672
that is exactly what I would love to do! however this one is shaft driven and until I look into building an adapter, I have basically zero options for wheels. That bike is gorgeous, I'm still in the planning stages of exactly what parts should be more modern and what should be more classic.

do you have a pic of the other side of that bike? I want to see the exhaust, I was planning on doing something very similar.

index.php

REALLY Like this bike!

As for tank options like it lifted at position 2. I think a 1-2 inch rise would look best. If you are looking for the stancae of option 3 you would most likely need to alter the rear suspension height (if it can be done safely to do so), or change the actual frame geometry which may or may not be safe or prudent.

Gary

GS1100....Drooling

I say go ape nuts but that's me. Bore it out, shave the crank, larger valves and port the head then hold on like hell is braking loose!

gk, that's the plan as of now, i'm going to bring up the back end roughly 4 inches, that should make me only have to raise the tank about two inches to get the angle of the 4 inch pic i have there.

The Jed said:
do you have a pic of the other side of that bike? I want to see the exhaust, I was planning on doing something very similar.

Sure, see attached
... but keep in mind that this bike only has a stock suzuki (GS) tank and a (hopped up) GSX engine. The rest, including the frame, is either custom built or modified from something else.

What are you plans for the engine?

M.

Attachments

• Suzuki GSX1100 met GS1000 tank-2.jpg
    Suzuki GSX1100 met GS1000 tank-2.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 8,973
that is pure S E X right there. still debating on the engine- as of now, the plan is 1200cc 10.5:1 haven't decided on which cams yet, possibly web .340 (might go bigger), will build a custom exhaust and obviously pods. It will be a daily driver for a bit So I want decent mileage still and to not get beat up riding it. 150hp at the wheel would be nice, but this is also more of a fun bike to fiddle with rather than a track bike. I'll go pick up a BMW s1000rr when that time comes back around :)

picked up some cute little emgo's yesterday and painted em up real nice like. not a big fan of chrome...
pod_zps142f971b.jpg

Hoping to use the long weekend to get the carbs torn down and cleaned and get the tank cleaned out. hell maybe i'll even get my valve clearances checked. regardless, plenty of beer will be consumed so at least I can stand around and go "yeeep" a lot.

Take a look at what this guy is doing to a first gen Magna http://v4musclebike.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6335&highlight=superbike

Looking good you cant go wrong with a big suzzi ;D Hey what are you doing with the re5 I could use some parts 8)

The Jed said:
picked up some cute little emgo's yesterday and painted em up real nice like. not a big fan of chrome...

Just a heads up with the emgo's, they can be just as restrictive as stock or worse. If you want a good set of pods you really are best to stick with a set of Uni or K&N filters.

+1^

Check out http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=45863.0 if you haven't already. Emgo's can be made to work with some modifications from what I am told. I started with the Emgos and could never get my CV carbs tuned right (a task in it self), when I swapped to the K&N oval filters I stopped blocking intake ports, got a much higher air volume, and with an exhaust match and jetting have al but eleviated my flat spots. I am not sure what model carbs are on your bike, or what you will be changing to. Just throwing out some information.

Gary

Back
Top Bottom