changing a 1981 cb900c

wesley1521

So i have this "81 cb900 and it is bone stock with low miles and no rust. it looks great....but does anyone know what some of my options are for hardtailing this bike. i have seen many options for the 750's and smaller bikes but nothing really for the 900. i do not want struts to replace the shocks but like an actual weld on hard tail.
The bike is also shaft driven which i want to convert to chain...how hard is this to do?

I would like to see ya convert and build here. Would be real cool, but honestly your better off getting a different bike. Unless you want to spend the time and money. Obviously its your call, but theres a lot of fab work and engineering needed to do what your talking about. It can be done...

junkyard jon said:
it's the same as doing a chain drive bike but your stuck with stock length unless you extend the drive shaft

You *may* be able to parts swap and cherry pick from other Honda bikes. For my XS850, I can run a Virago swingarm and associated drive shaft for a 4" stretch......bolt on. Honda isn't dumb, lots of part specs cross over between models.

that might work if you can match something up! i don't know anuff about the shaftdrive bikes so....

now me, i would just have a drive shaft made. i use to work at a shop that made custom shafts.

VonYinzer said:
I would like to see ya convert and build here. Would be real cool, but honestly your better off getting a different bike. Unless you want to spend the time and money. Obviously its your call, but theres a lot of fab work and engineering needed to do what your talking about. It can be done...

Agreed 100%..

If the bike is as clean as you say. You should have no problem raising the $ for a big CC chain drive bike. Which would look much more traditional when hardtailed. But, on the other hand. If your attached to it. DO IT!

Actually....I think maybe he's ok. I did some looking around and saw several pre-1930 bikes that were both hard tail AND shaft driven.

So....for the moment were it mine, I'd remove the swing arm and all the frame you want gone and weld on one of the semi-universal hard tail 'kits' that are out here. Just be sure to space the rear tabs out enough to clear your shafty rear wheel and pumpkin. One you're there, it should take little more than some machining and/or perhaps some welding and you could run an exposed shaft with small universals at each end. That would allow whatever length you want as well as some freedom of choice where rim/tire size is concerned. A simple cover could be made out of something simple like a cheap aluminum frying pan to cover the pumpkin and make it look a but more vintage. I used big pans for the backing plates on a hotrod I helped my dad build several (ugh...like 20) years ago.

Just fab up a shroud if you're worried about the shaft....that or leave the 70's bellbottom jeans to someone else! Ha! I think you should go for it!

I agree with all of you, but he said he wanted to convert it to a chain final. Ive seen it done, but he would be better served to sell it and buy a cb750 or something close if thats the look he wants. I know the old bikes you speak of, and they are cool, but throwing a hardtail on a kinda' modern shaft driven bike would look sorta silly IMO.

VonYinzer said:
...... but throwing a hardtail on a kinda' modern shaft driven bike would look sorta silly IMO.

<7 year old> Nuh-uh..... :p </7 year old>

wow...i kinda gave up on this thread after about a week and came back to it this morning....thank you for all the replies.
I have been back and forth on this bike with what to do. Initially i did just want to weld on a hard tail kit but have not really found anything...and well even if i did cut off unnecessary parts of the frame to weld on a hard tail i really do not think any of the lines would flow....it would look pretty awkward IMO.
as of right now the bike has been on craigslist for a few weeks because i just wanted to see if i could sell it....but no takers yet.
i appreciate everyone's opinion and it seems that everyone really confirmed what i was already thinking...and that is sell the bike and try to find a cb750 to chop up.
but if i do decide to cut this bike up then i will defiantly post it in this section

well let me dig up a few pics of 2 different bike we have built here at our shop (vinnieschopandrod) one is a cb1000 and the other is cb900 same motor only diff size...both shaft drive and high/low trans
snowboard356.jpg

snowboard369.jpg

i think if ya build what ya have and enjoy it to the fullest, wether it be a chopper, bobber, fighter, cafe...watever as long as it works and you are happy riding it then all the better, kuz in the end you are the one that has to ride it, no one else...also another reason we mainly do japanese bikes for our bobbers, choppers is they are so damn reliable, and cheap compared to most twins...as im sure you all know that, dont get me wrong we have built our fair share of twins, but invention doesnt always come from necessity, it comes from supplies...and money

and yes i know everyone has their own opinion, so i dont need to hear that i was just stating what mine was...lets keep it friendly in here

bigred7785 said:
i think if ya build what ya have and enjoy it to the fullest, wether it be a chopper, bobber, fighter, cafe...watever as long as it works and you are happy riding it then all the better, kuz in the end you are the one that has to ride it, no one else...also another reason we mainly do japanese bikes for our bobbers, choppers is they are so damn reliable, and cheap compared to most twins...as im sure you all know that, dont get me wrong we have built our fair share of twins, but invention doesnt always come from necessity, it comes from supplies...and money

and yes i know everyone has their own opinion, so i dont need to hear that i was just stating what mine was...lets keep it friendly in here

I getcha completely and think its totally awesome that that thing can fly like ape shit. Its my opinion that the shape/ angle of the forks and down tube better lends to the looks of a V type engine. Be it domestic or import, 2, 4 or other cylinders.

I like it thoe!

How did you manage to get the carbs tuned for the pods?

well i knew everyone would be wondering bout our secret...well guess ill just have to let it outta the bag...its so simple you will crap yourself, and kick yourself for crappin yourself...how bad do ya'll wanna know?

Back
Top Bottom