Does anyone still build Cafe Racers or is it not fashionable anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
SeanGSUK said:
Hello everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone still build Cafe Racers or is it not fashionable anymore?

A lot of the posts on here are quite old?

Maybe people have built their bikes and no longer need to post stuff (myself included!) or it has just no longer a phenomenon?

What do you lot think?

You're obviously not getting it mate ...... old posts / yep, and old posters. What does that tell you ?

Cafe Racers are a "fashion" that's lasted almost 60 years - fashion is your word - I'd rather say "way of life".

I think you hit the nail on the head when you say " Maybe people have built their bikes and no longer need to post stuff (myself included!) .........................................................?"

No longer need to post ? Bye, bye - off to your latest fashion then.

I made a couple of ham fisted attempts with 2 XS750 build threads, a few years back. Before moving over to the dark side (caferacer.net). Not really sure why I more or less stopped posting here, as it was always nice to get some decent feedback.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=52828.0

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=50944.msg567325#msg567325

Fashion Statement

blackunicorn.jpg

Cafe racers definitely became a main stream fab for a while and then faded, but was that really a bad thing?
Lots of aftermarket popped up, some people made some money and people had fun with motorcycles that normally wouldn't have.

The problem with this board is that all that seems to be left are then negative people who think that they are the up holders of real cafe racers. They only criticize. Gone is the positive advise and encouragement.

I built my first cafe bike a few years ago and posted a build thread here and had a great experience. I just bought a Guzzi to cafe out and I doubt that I will post here as I really don't want people to tear my amateur work apart. It is not a lifestyle for me, I just want a fun, good looking, good running vintage bike to ride and be proud of. Athstedics are a huge part, performance takes a back seat. Not saying I am going to turn it into a unrideable bike, it will keep the stock motor and brakes and updated suspension ( to a budget).

The problem is... every nutsack who see's a tv show with guys who got chopped on that cooking show building motorcycles thinks they too can build a RS super duper moto panty dropper. So many real mechanics but far more guys with a drill and screwdriver... Me thinks ;D

Dusclaimer
I am a novice motorcycle builder when I'm wrong... Oh Dang.

If performance takes a back seat, so does aesthetics. I doubt the hipsters will ever wrap their tiny brains around that shit.

Welcome to Unicorn Rainbow land, where JWilde rules the roost. ::)

If your shit looks like trash, someones gonna tell you. That someone will very likely be me. Refer to avatar.

You want the site to be full of fucked up shit, or well built bikes?

The builds will start again, but they'll be GOOD builds, that get finished. You wanna build fucked up bikes and get applauded for it? Fuck you, and everybody that looks like ya.

SeanGSUK said:
I was just wondering if anyone still build Cafe Racers or is it not fashionable anymore?

I am a one-man show, so it's not easy to keep forums full of photos, but I try...

1970 Norton 750 Commando resto/furb
412178070.jpg

1974 John Player Norton full restoration (rare bike, 1 of only 200)
412105852.jpg

1974 Norton 880 Sprint Special custom build from scratch
411775374.jpg

Theses 3 photos taken in the last 60 days. Once I get the biz back where it was 2 years ago, I roll out a bike every 2 or 3 months on average. Since my primary business is RESTORATIONS, it is purely coincidental that these are cafe racers; however, that's my second-favorite style ("standard" classic being my favorite)

As for the NAME of this forum, I'm wondering how much of the aforementioned stuff can ACTUALLY DO THE TON?

I have made it a point NOT to post anything that I have the slightest reservation about being able to do that.

Just for clarity: The red-framed Norton above is a friend's bike that I sold for him on e-bay. The buyer has contracted me to strip it, powdercoat if black again, and re-build it to basic cafe standard (bum stop seat on order). It runs fantastic, and I GUARANTEE it can not only do the ton, but handle itself respectably in the tight twist stuff (and start in 1 or 2 kicks).

The JPN may not be to everyone's taste, but it is a rare part of TRUE cafe racer history and will unquestionably handle the ton competently.

As for the Green Bike, well, it won BOTM here, and it will do the ton in 3rd gear (it's a 4-speed).

I may or may not have mentioned ALL of the other stuff I have going on every day, but I think I carry my weight here.

CAFE RACERS ARE NOT DEAD.

(lots of the other crap are NOT actually cafe racers, even if their "builders" say they are)

It's easy to be a pessimist when so many builds consist of flat black paint and the misguided destruction of nice examples. That said, you have to start somewhere and lots of people come to this site hoping for open arms and reasonable guidance. Sadly, this isn't the place for it. Honestly, I am surprised the site sponsors put up with it, as it is they who really lose.

Pessimist? How bout realist. Half of the sponsors here are a joke too.

GrandPaul, your bikes are awesome, and if these jokers built half as nice as you did they wouldn't catch so much shit.

Most of the stuff that gets ripped on breaks the most BASIC rules of building and safety.

This thread is getting me cocked and loaded for a major rant so keep it up. Certainly has me motivated to keep doing what I do here.

I build mostly Japanese stuff. Many of the old timers don'the consider them "café," regardless of their styling.

They're lighter, faster, and handle adequately, and are well built. I don't much care what anyone thinks of them. They're not built to anyone else's taste.

DohcBikes said:
If performance takes a back seat, so does aesthetics.

Really?
So putting a better looking tank or a single seat, plus painting and polishing is not aesthetics? Those are some of the most common and noticeable mods. Even clip-ons or clubmans are not a performance mod. Sure, they can get you out of the wind, but you can achieve that by bending your elbows.

If performance were the number one driving force, then buy a 1990's CBR600 for under $2k and you will smoke 95% of the bikes posted here in acceleration, braking and handling and it will be more reliable.

Rusnak_322 said:
Really?
So putting a better looking tank or a single seat, plus painting and polishing is not aesthetics? Those are some of the most common and noticeable mods. Even clip-ons or clubmans are not a performance mod. Sure, they can get you out of the wind, but you can achieve that by bending your elbows.

If performance were the number one driving force, then buy a 1990's CBR600 for under $2k and you will smoke 95% of the bikes posted here in acceleration, braking and handling and it will be more reliable.
Uh no thanks I have a 2006 919. Your post says nothing of value. You are clearly 'one of them'.

Rusnak_322 said:
Cafe racers definitely became a main stream fab for a while and then faded, but was that really a bad thing?
Lots of aftermarket popped up, some people made some money and people had fun with motorcycles that normally wouldn't have.

The problem with this board is that all that seems to be left are then negative people who think that they are the up holders of real cafe racers. They only criticize. Gone is the positive advise and encouragement.

I built my first cafe bike a few years ago and posted a build thread here and had a great experience. I just bought a Guzzi to cafe out and I doubt that I will post here as I really don't want people to tear my amateur work apart. It is not a lifestyle for me, I just want a fun, good looking, good running vintage bike to ride and be proud of. Athstedics are a huge part, performance takes a back seat. Not saying I am going to turn it into a unrideable bike, it will keep the stock motor and brakes and updated suspension ( to a budget).

This.

I enjoy using a wrench and getting my hands dirty. I need some reason to spend time out in the garage with a beer and some good music. Like a lot of us here, I'm a hobbyist, not someone looking to to drop a ton of coin on something I ride only when it's nice out. I just don't get the animosity towards people like us.

It doesn't take a ton of coin to follow fundamental physics while building a bike.

When was the last time you saw anyone being flogged for a paint job or a tank shape or anything subjective?

The ones that get the shit are the ones that deserve it. If you build a shit bike then you should be told it's shit.

The ignorance here is staggering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom