4151.jpg

Bananas Foster
Grilled-Bananas-Foster_Recipes_1007x545.ashx

Paine Perdu
pain-perdu1.jpg

JustinLonghorn said:
We are known for these:

1b.jpg

Kill me just kill me already... This IS my crack, I hate fast food but good rich french inspired food and anything that requires a dark roux just calls me out.

Not necessarily regional, but after getting my first deer with a bow, Dad had the heart fried up before it was cold.

Only things unique or from Utah are Fry Sauce (mayo and ketchup mixed) and green Jello with carrot shreds in it. Sigh...

B541Niner said:
Not necessarily regional, but after getting my first deer with a bow, Dad had the heart fried up before it was cold.
What kind of Bow?? and how many pounds??

Ive been looking at a recurve...55lb

In South Carolina, we call it Low Country boil, or if you're from around Beaufort it's Frogmore Stew. We usually add blue crab...

ShrimpBoilServed.jpg

Shrimp and grits...

20151002-shrimp-grits-vicky-wasik-19.jpg

Brunswick Stew...

brunswick+stew0001.JPG

An oyster roast South Carolina style- steel sheet over the fire with the oysters under wet burlap sacs...

201111119-Oyster-Roast-1-3.jpg

The Pacific Northwest of the USA is a relatively newer part of the western world and we have large immigrant populations, not only from other countries, but from within the USA itself. Portland is home to some of the best food carts in the country (real honest to god restaurants, just run out of trucks) and the emphasis is on fusion foods. I've had Kalbi tacos, Pastrami on biscuits, and Pappardelle Dragon noodles.

In order:

Pok Pok Thai / Vietnamese Chicken Wings - The flavor on these babies is amazing. VERY heavy on the fish sauce and they're quite hot. Lager definitely recommended as an accompaniment. My only complaint is that they're so popular these days, I think they're starting to rush them too much. The wings could be crispier the last couple of times I've been.

Dungeoness Crab - Pretty much the best crab ever. I've had king crab and snow crab and blue crab and most of the other varieties. This is the best. And it's a Pacific Northwest Native. It's the traditional dish of Christmas Eve, here in Oregon.

Smallwares Fried Kale - I haven't had this one, but I've heard it's good and no PNW menu would be complete without Kale. :p

Voodoo Donuts Maple Bacon Donut - This place has been on more than a few food shows and this is their signature donut. It's pretty amazing. Their other stuff is also good, but it gets weird, fast.

Olympia Provisions Charcuterie - One of the few places in the country where all the cured meats are made by hand and still fermented the old fashion way. Honestly, the best sausage you will find outside of Europe. No joke.

Attachments

• PokPoksolares.0.0.jpg
    PokPoksolares.0.0.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 221
  • DungenessCrab09.jpg
    DungenessCrab09.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 723
  • smallwareskale.0.0.jpg
    smallwareskale.0.0.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 696
  • Bacon_donut.jpg
    Bacon_donut.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 261
  • img_7055.jpg
    img_7055.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 216
I almost forgot!

BEER.

Oregon, Washington, and Idaho grow 98% of the USA's hops, so it's no big surprise we also lead the country in breweries per capita. Oregon is home to 188 craft breweries. Craft brews account for about 8 percent consumption of the total US market, but it's 53 percent here in Oregon.

A few of my local favorites.

Attachments

• usa-pics-294-1136-x-852.jpg
    usa-pics-294-1136-x-852.jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 209
  • block15 024.jpg
    block15 024.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 1,195
  • 20131031-271946-belmont-station-portland-bottle-shop-interior.jpg
    20131031-271946-belmont-station-portland-bottle-shop-interior.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 645
  • FullSailHolidayAle.jpg
    FullSailHolidayAle.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 631
  • 16024060-mmmain.jpg
    16024060-mmmain.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 683
You may lead the country in breweries...

But we have ya beat in the number of places to drink.

http://www.post-gazette.com/in-the-lead-2014-stories/2014/05/14/Community-Pittsburgh-most-bars-per-capita-second-most-pizza/stories/201405150065

Honestly, anyone who's been here knows that Yinzers LOVE to drink. There's a popular saying that goes "Pittsburgh is a drinking town with a football problem".

It's really part of the culture. When a city is founded by Germans and the Irish I suppose it's bound to happen. In this area almost every social event behins or ends at the neighborhood bar. Partys, funerals, sporting events, etc. That's the cool part though. Despite the recent rapid growth and influx of out of towners Pittsburgh is still primarily a city of corner taverns and pubs where the owner is the bartender and the conversation is loud but friendly.

One of the funny things is that due to its interesting architecture and low taxes Pittsburgh has also become a prime spot for Hollywood to film movies. When this happens the local papers always end up having some interviews with the famous folks and nearly everyone ends up with them talking about how much fun they had out drinking and how nice everyone was.

Sorry for the rambling post lol. As we say in Pittsburgh, see ya at the bar.

Philly has a shitload of bars too. Literally thousands of them. It's funny that a state that likes to drink so much can have the most archaic liquor laws.

I forgot to mention a good ol' Cochon de Lait in a Cajun Microwave...
Home-Microwave.jpg

Utah's gifts to the world are the pastrami burger (with a side of fries and fry sauce) and the Navajo taco. But it doesn't hurt to go to moochies for a meatball sub, extra cherry peppers please and maybe something with a kick to it from Squaters

Attachments

• crown-burger-with-fries-and-fry-sauce.jpg
    crown-burger-with-fries-and-fry-sauce.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 219
  • navajo+tacos5.jpg
    navajo+tacos5.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 218
  • MOOCHIES.jpg
    MOOCHIES.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 1,398
  • tumblr_inline_mxbaoqFPmq1rm17z3.gif
    tumblr_inline_mxbaoqFPmq1rm17z3.gif