1970 CL350 resto

bmfenn said:
Time to start chasing electrical gremlins.... The headlight works, but that's about it. When I turn on the right turn signal, the front right and rear left light up, but don't blink. If I turn the key to parking lights, the tail light lights up, but only if I pull the front brake lever. I know the rear brake switch is no good, and ordered a replacement. Going to put in a new flasher also, and if that doesn't get me going, it looks like I'll be getting intimate with my multimeter

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Turn signals doing crazy shit always points to ground issues

Got my brake lights working. Rear brake switch was seized, and a loose bulb socket. Now that I know it's not the wiring, it will be replaced with an LED unit anyhow.

Turn signals still not functioning. Got a new electronic flasher from spark moto. When I pulled the old one, I noticed that it was had a huge amount of corrosion, as did the wiring disconnects. I need to go get some disconnects. As I also found out, but should have realized, standard bullet connectors available locally don't exactly work with the bullet connectors on the bike. Ordered new disconnects, and have to buy a crimper to go with them. This one looks like it should suffice

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007YXBUO6/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_1?colid=2K54BR7PM75HB&coliid=I2WZA6LO6UPL0G

Also, just to eliminate any ground issues, is it safe to tap off the green ground wires under the seat, and hook directly to the battery with a ring terminal? I remember having to add additional engine and frame grounds to a Toyota FJ40 I used to have because of ground issues

Slow going, but I got the turn signals and brake lights all working correctly. Sadly, I cracked the top of the headlight bucket when I pulled the headlight. Going to try and salvage it with some epoxy, before I give up and replace it. Pulled the carbs and had them ultrasonically cleaned, ordered a pair of k&l rebuild kits, and some new cables. Sent my stuff to DMV for my plates almost 3 weeks ago.

Personally, I wouldn't use the aftermarket carb kits. Many have experience with incorrect jet sizes and the needles are not the same as stock.
Clean the OEM parts thoroughly and only replace what is needed with Honda parts.

I already bought the kits, but I got keyster kits, not K&L. I'll use my old jets and needles, and use the gaskets and anything else that needs replacing from the kit. Haven't gotten around to putting the carbs back together yet.

I pulled the headlight shell, and epoxied the broken piece back in. The wiring gave me a huge headache, especially until I realized that the extra brown wire was supposed to be left unplugged. While I had it off, I gave the headlight bucket and side covers a good scrub in the sink

4b7db9e466135ec7ff925522a2bfee1f.jpg

I also picked up replacement LED bulbs for my rear turn signals, and for the universal replacement front turn signals I bought. Awhile back I joined amzreviewtrader, which is a website where you can get stuff at discount in exchange for providing detailed reviews on Amazon.

3cd0a1f4c106db1b498ed86473e5d3df.jpg

0a192e1074201d9a68a1bc17fcad71cf.jpg

My rear fender is all buggered up along the bottom edge, and my original brake light is shot. I picked up a new brake light, and am going to chop the fender just above the lower holes. I taped it off to mark and cut, just haven't finished actually cut it yet. I used the original upper holes to mount the new brake light. And I finally got my plate in the mail, only took NJ MVC a month

98ea5f98cdcefd8cb65a4bc818dcb0ca.jpg

bccdb65cd407dcc106e1a61be24bf693.jpg

The side covers look to be in pretty good shape! Are you going to leave the original paint or re-paint to match?

If you're still having issues with carbs leaking fuel, check that the gaskets aren't interfering with the floats movement. Also you may want to check for pinholes or cracks in the drain tubes. I've had both problems resulting in fuel all over the floor of the garage.

Plan is to leave paint original. I'm actually debating on spraying them with clear when I eventually stip the while bike down, just to protect them as is. If I didnt want to keep the original paint, there's no way I wouldve gone through the hassle of repairing the headlight bucket, I wouldv'e just likely replaced with an H4 bucket, but i'm still digging the orange.

Here's a picture of my headlight epoxy job. I used marine epoxy at first, before I realized it was white, and took forever to set. After that dried, I added some more. clear epoxy to reinforce the bucket further. After it all dried for a few days, I took a dremel, and carved out the slot for the headlight ring.

adventurco said:
Epoxy is a beautiful thing. My 360 is about 75% epoxy
It absolutely is. I have a lawn spreader, which got the leftover epoxy from the headlight bucket. I swear there's more epoxy than original plastic in that old Scott's spreader.

Finally got the carbs back together last night. Been super busy with stuff around the house. Hopefully I can get this back running before I get sidetracked on other projects.
6b12363c9c2408ce483b16bb0ab66a4b.jpg

A co-worker of mine was a mechanic at a Yamaha dealer in a former life, and still does small engine repair on the side. After hurricane Sandy, he had so much work rebuilding lawnmowers, snowblowers, jetski's, etc that he invested in a good ultrasonic cleaner just to save time cleaning parts.

A-ha! Nice. I have made makeshift ultrasonic cleaners (with a handheld sander) before. They always work pretty well but there's no replacement for the real deal!

No pictures of them finished, but I cleaned the rust off the air boxes, primed and spraypainted them flat black.
f1ab5ae510fa35ac08c3fa6951acd302.jpg

Installed new throttle cable, and put the carbs back on, hooked everything up, just to realize the battery had gone dead. Battery is on the charger now.

After rebuilding the carbs and replacing the paper in the filters with uni foam, I haven't been able to get it to run right. It would idle, but it would die with any throttle. Tore down the carbs again last night to realize that I didn't replace the rubber plugs under the idle jet. And of course I have no idea what happened to them. Look like I'll be ordering a set.

Back on the table
66d79ce9624c8c412db2d89e90b1193f.jpg

Foam air filters:
3607e6e3bcbebab3a329951f0221d3d6.jpg

While waiting for the passage plugs to arrive, I adjusted the valves, set the timing chain tension, and set the ignition timing. Rubber plugs came in, put the carbs back together, and last night she started up and ran great! Took for a quick ride around the neighborhood.

Back
Top Bottom