1970 CL350 resto

Wow a quick wash behind the ear's and she's a different bike looks great, bet it was a buzz taking her round the block knowing she's a solid runner cos of the work you done keep going mate

Took the bike for a ride down the coast to Seaside for cheese steaks with my brother in law, who rode his Harley. Rode about 25 miles. Drove beautifully. My brother in law was amazed that it not only had a kick starter, but that it started on the first kick. I swear it was luck, because that's the only time it has ever started on the first kick. Only had one hiccup, I must've forgotten to tighten down the bolts holding on my licence plate, because when I got home, it wasn't there anymore.

bmfenn said:
Only had one hiccup, I must've forgotten to tighten down the bolts holding on my licence plate, because when I got home, it wasn't there anymore.

Ha! I've been there before.

c6dd8572dcad893a4b534865620cdb0b.jpg

Recovered !!!!!

Nice project man, and great job reusing original parts and coming up with practical solutions. Enjoy it!

Took it to work today. Now that it's running well, I'll ride it until the weather turns cold. Once winter arrives I'm going to strip it down to take care of the rust on the frame.
43289c8418032c2b2806412a26e3564e.jpg

Took off the chain, and cleaned and lubed using an old school method. Soaked in "Ed's Red" solvent overnight, and then soaked in a heated mix of grease and 90wt. Hung to dry, and wiped of the excess. Chain looks brand new now. Going to ride the "distinguished gentleman's" this weekend in Asbury Park

Not a good day. Went to the Asbury Park distinguished gentleman's ride. Put the bike in the bed of my pickup, and parked at a commuter lot a few miles from the start. When rolling the bike down the ramp, the front wheel slipped, and it tipped. Cought it and tried to at least give it the gentlest landing I could. Landed on the clutch handle and left peg.

49a71fcc5297c1b5502fd9d541165bf4.jpg

The left side controls snapped, and the handlebar bent down a little bit. After loading it back up and heading home, I was able to fix the handlebars.

Only the bottom of the left control is damaged. The aluminum/pot metal bent and snapped just inward from the clutch handle ears.

So I guess I'll be hunting for some replacement parts. Until then, I cleaned up the bottom of the control, bent it back to the correct position, and slapped on some JB weld on the outside. Tomorrow I'll do the same with the inside. It will just be a temporary fix until I can get a replacement.

1aacee3b4496a4ccf6f92acec02bb11f.jpg

Man I've been lurking on this build for a while and that's a huge bummer! I'm always terrified that this is going to happen to me and I have a 175 that I could probably lift by myself. Good luck finding parts, and I'm glad the damage isn't too bad!

Rider52 said:
Part found, PM sent.
Regards,
John

Super appreciated. I was supposed to have my road test this morning for my MC license. I've just been getting new permits every spring, and extending through the summer, but figured it was time to actually get my license. I had cleaned, roughed up, and used JB Weld outside and inside the piece, but it still broke in the driveway as I was about to leave. At least it didn't break as I was 15 miles away from home with no ride. Test rescheduled for another 2 weeks.

Been awhile without an update. Now that the holidays are over, it went back up on the table yesterday.

418b7e6f7b4212c9caf7fc0dc531b038.jpg

Started stripping it down. Once it's down to the frame, I'll blast and paint the frame. The fenders and hoops will likely get powder coated. I purchased an 18" front hoop off of a CB, since there are more tire options, and new spokes were easier to find.

1db86ba33a3449f8f28c85a66c06c5cc.jpg

Stay tuned.....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Still in the process of stripping it down, working on it when I get some free time here and there.
8fe5dad18c51954f968d5fda89ffba87.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Been a long time since an update, but the bike is currently in pieces. All the rusty bits are getting cleaned, blasted and repainted in drips and drabs

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom