Honda CM200T Build

Serizawa Tamao

So I just picked up an 82 Honda CM200T from a buddy of mine and I'm big into DIY and random hobbies. I've always wanted to do something with a bike and now that I have an old bike I want to have a go at turning it into a cafe racer. It's in pretty tough shape but it runs ok. I have 0 experience with motorcycle mechanics but usually get into an obsessive state and learn everything ASAP when I find a new thing to do. So I've done some minor stuff so far but am wondering what should be my first step into this conversion. My budget is tight so parts will have to come in surely but slowly. I'm willing to take any help and guidance, this is going to be my new winter project. So thanks for the help!

sorry for the long wait, I have a few pics but nothing with it being changed. I live in Minnesota and this winter's been hell, without a decent place to work it makes it hard and I can only really work on smaller stuff. Right now it's in pieces in our garage, I'm taking the tank and other parts to sand blast them. I already swapped in clubman bars and built a new seat. Hopefully better progress once the weather gets out of this sub zero temp.

Hey Tmart!
Nice to see another Twinstar being converted, do you have anything special plan for the intake? I'm going between stacks, pods or just leaving the old box in. Can't decide...

I got mine with a pod on it already, he did give me the stock airbox but no filter or side covers :(

What are you doing for exhaust? I'm probably going to header wrap my pipes and black out the mufflers.

From what I've read, if you have not real functional reason to convert to a pod or stack, just leave the box as it will prolong the life of your bike.

That makes sense. As for the exhaust I've taken them off replaced the seals, might want to replace the flanges too. I just got done sand blasting the rust and chrome off. I was considering doing the wraps but I read that can be bad for your engine due to the build up of extra heat (then again isn't that why we do it anyway?) I plan on blacking out entire exhaust, possibly do a two to one conversion but not sure yet! Do you have pictures?

Finally got the bike to my house yesterday (it's been in my cousin's garage) plan on taking pictures throughout the entire project.

Back
Top Bottom