Cb200 "Charis"

Texasstar

Can't is a four letter dirty word
"You really need to get some parts bikes"~kop

So we have been taking cb's home like puppies. We were looking for some cb200 cams for a reasonable price and so now we picked Charis and another parts bike and dont have the heart to part her out. Now in between our two other builds Lucky and Victoria we have Charis. It just so happens that this bike has less than 4k on it and is in way better shape than Lucky was. Lucky's left over parts will be used to fix Charis up. A slight paradox and heresy if you are a Calvinist. Zeke is taking the clubmans for his Victoria build and we have another set of short clubmans in the parts bike pile we may use on this build. We found a new gasket set and full carb kits in our pile. If you look really close in DTT you can find two cb200's that were characters in Homer's Illiad. Charis is like A Botticelli painting. I have a friend that says she has the body of a Botticelli trapped in the land of twiggy...a long curvy road is way more fun than than a skinny straight road. West Texas roads are like skinny dumb blondes for they will leave you with a blank stare...but a buxom brunette is like the Rio Grande forging new ground everywhere. However there are exceptions to the rule and drag racing and bonneville are two of them.

I got the wiring sorted out last night and she starts just fine. Zeke and I did a compression check on her and she is at the bare minimum of 130 psi. Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

So the boys are gonna put Lucky's carbs on her tonight and we will pull the valve covers and oil the top end, check the coil, make sure we have spark at the plugs. Repetition, repetition, repetition.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 904
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 922
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 234
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    979.6 KB · Views: 229
>I have a friend that says she has the body of a Botticelli trapped in the land of twiggy...a long curvy road is way more fun than than a skinny straight road. West Texas roads are like skinny dumb blondes for they will leave you with a blank stare...

I can't decide if you're Kinky Friedman or Tom Robbins.

Rich Ard said:
>I have a friend that says she has the body of a Botticelli trapped in the land of twiggy...a long curvy road is way more fun than than a skinny straight road. West Texas roads are like skinny dumb blondes for they will leave you with a blank stare...

I can't decide if you're Kinky Friedman or Tom Robbins.
Rich I don't know about that but I tell my kids that I am into child rearing and the more rearing they need the bigger the ass I become...oh and I tell my boys to never date a gal with a poodle in her purse..;)

Once again the same problem why it wouldn't start.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 215
The boys put on the carbs and we pulled the coil, and points

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 234
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 233
DesmoBro said:
Wow Much easier than the wood and sledge hammer trick
yes it was and it only took us a few minute this time insteadmof days to figure out...the movable point wasn't insulated from the points wire and we had a constant on movable point.

"When you connect the points wire to the points it must go to the movable point and that point is insulated from the stationary point. The little screw that holds the point wire MUST be insulated from grounded, stationary point. There are usually several little fiber washers and a fiber tube that keep the point spring and screw from grounding"

We did use the piston extraction tool to hold the tank up while we installed the Dyna coil.

We used Metal Rescue on our other Project tank and have had no problems with clogged filters etc...a before video of the tank.

http://youtu.be/6000xnXGih0

The goal with Charis is to see if we can build her from our spare parts. The hardest part was finding a good coil. One coil was good but the wire was broken off at the coil so we soldered a new wire and tested the resistance and it was good...then we sealed it with hondabond.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 207
We cleaned the petcock, pulled out the finest steel wool and marvel mystery oil, and scrubbed the chrome

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 196
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 197
In our pile of goodies we had some flat tracker bars and these cool retro grips. We flipped the bars, drilled them out for the controls...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 189
The goal of this build is to take what we have learned and spent and share how to save money and not make the same mistakes we did. Total for this build is so far:
425.00 for two cb200's and carb kits, new gasket kits, clubman and tracker bars, etc.
50.00 metal rescue
15.00 carb clearner
40.00 5lbs. Walmart Battery.

Some lessons we learned. You don't have to buy brand new heavy double lazy dog pistons and pay ridiculous shipping like we did on our first build. Now we are not gonna tell you where to find stuff but if you look hard enough you can find a modern day equivalent. Here is a secret...there is redundancy in Honda engineering and manufacturing. The whole spirit behind DTT and cafe racers is to make your bike your bike. I am more impressed with the guy/gal on this forum that found a way to use what they had and made it work than just plopping down the cashola.

Who is cooler than Steve McQueen on a Triumph? Mom learning to ride a cb200. If you look closely we took the front brake from Mom as she is learning to ride.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 191
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 194
Back
Top Bottom