XS500 - single round slide carb

bbarshte

Hey folks, I recently picked up a 77 Yamaha XS500. The plan is to go from 2 BS38 carbs to a single Mikuni round slide carb.
Ive got Dean Speed Customs fabricating a 2 into 1 manifold and next is to order the carb I need.

Problem is I'm not sure what size to go with. I know, tuning wise, this is going to be a difficult undertaking, but if I can get the carb size right, itll make things a lot easier going forward.

I would be extremely grateful for any shared knowledge regarding what size Mikuni round slide I should consider, and additionally, any thing else I should keep in mind.

Thanks

As a non-butterfly (i.e. non CV) carb will flow about 30% more air, a 34mm roundslide should probably be enough. If you can buy a cheap 36mm carb, that won't kill you either. I wouldn't go bigger than that though or you will have great difficulty setting up the low-end.

grab this it will do a awesome job once jetted properly i have used a 36mmmikuni pumper on a cx500

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-XR400-MIKUNI-36mm-PUMPER-CARBURETOR-T36-68-XR-400-TRX400/192694413979?hash=item2cdd7b6a9b:g:BKMAAOSwds9byMiU:rk:12:pf:0

Back
Top Bottom