1982 CB750F Super Sport - (no longer a Brat Project)

Re: 1982 CB750F Super Sport - Brat Project

I work on bikes because I am qualified to do so.

I gave you a hell of a lot more info than just 'leave it alone', but as I said, it didn't come in copy and paste form, it was just normal advice from somebody that knows, so you didnt heed it. The results speak for themselves.

Here's an inspiration pic for you to look at while you learn, gain experience, and get this straightened out.

Peace.

Attachments

• cb750fail.jpg
    cb750fail.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 290

armourbl said:

This inspiration pick you posted is pretty cool. I'm not quite getting the scrambler halfsies but with street tires yeah.

canyoncarver said:
This inspiration pick you posted is pretty cool. I'm not quite getting the scrambler halfsies but with street tires yeah.

I will bite. :p

Removing the side covers from thaaat tank leaves you wondering what the fuck is missing... Even if it does sling dirt and handle ok. :-*

Thanks to everyone who posted with some constructive input. I'll keep at it and report back the progress.

Crossing my fingers right now that I can get the broken bolts to turn easily enough to not require more drastic measures.

I'm ordering some new hardened bolts to replace them, and will make sure they are torqued properly as to avoid this issue in the future.

ben

Tune-A-Fish said:
I will bite. :p

Removing the side covers from thaaat tank leaves you wondering what the fuck is missing... Even if it does sling dirt and handle ok. :-*

Yeah, a nice but not perfect example. If you get the lines with the seat / frame right, that tank looks cool. I had an 81' 750F (no where near nice when I got it) I love the look.

armourbl said:
Thanks to everyone who posted with some constructive input. I'll keep at it and report back the progress.

Crossing my fingers right now that I can get the broken bolts to turn easily enough to not require more drastic measures.

I'm ordering some new hardened bolts to replace them, and will make sure they are torqued properly as to avoid this issue in the future.

ben

Hmmm...didn't think you were going to try and remove the cams? Weren't you going to get a tool to hold the valves down just to change the shims?

Anyway, those bolts may not have been over-torqued. They will bond with the alloy in the head just through heat cycles over time. In the shop we used to use a flat punch that fit inside the bolt heads crown that we would use to whack them before we tried to undo them (yeah, I know....not much good for you to be told that now).

Not sure from the pics if you'll have much chance of welding them - and you might be outta luck trying to do anything with the motor in the frame. We used to drill, tap, Helicoil. Sometimes you could drill the bolt right down to the thread and "pull" out the remainder but it was rare. You can get left handed drill bits - worth a try at least and probably better than an EZ out (if ever there was a mis-nomer.....)

Chalk it up to experience....

Extractors have come a long way Bay Be 8)

This Matco Kit has saved me many a headache
xURh1.jpg

:-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

Attachments

• toldyaso.jpg
    toldyaso.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 270

Why are you still here, DickBikes?

Haven't you got some posts to delete?

1801096-badum_tish_super.jpg

Success! I'm happy to report I was able to get all four broken bolts out with the help of my machinist friend. Here is proof of life.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2DCeFVNPpHNQkZoRHU3ODc2SzQ/view?usp=sharing

Ultimately, each one required its own careful approach with 3 needing easy-out and 1 needing just a left hand drill bit, all were started with a 1/8" cobalt drill bit to create about a 3/8" deep hole in the bolt. The hardest part was getting a nicely centered punch mark to begin drilling as each one had more of a rounded or stepped top. The cobalt drill bits really made short work of the drilling once that was started. Just went nice and slow, at about 400 rpm on the drill, and tripled checked our progress along the way.

Doing it with the motor out of the frame really was the ticket, and removing it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be. I even got it out of the frame alone without much trouble. If anyone wants details on that, I took lots of pics. I even ended up painting the motor and all of the side covers. It was a full weekend. Motor is back in the frame. Here is a teaser pic of it, half put back together.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2DCeFVNPpHNQldCZ1NRcF9JR3M/view?usp=sharing

Now I'm just waiting on the new cam holder bolts to arrive. I should be able get it all back together this weekend assuming the bolts arrive in time.

Thank you to everyone for the help you've all given me so far. I really appreciate all of the guidance and ideas.

ben

Oh yeah, almost forgot. Found one of the nuts that holds the head so loose that I could turn it by hand. Yikes. I tried to torque to spec of 26 foot pounds, but didn't like how it felt when tightening. So I just put some red Loctite on it, and tightened it as far as I dared. Hopefully it will hold.

ben

Tune-A-Fish said:
You can upload images with the "attachments and other options" below in reply.

Yes, but I was being lazy. Didn't want to hassle with saving them to the computer so I could upload them. Sorry.

ben

armourbl said:
Yes, but I was being lazy. Didn't want to hassle with saving them to the computer so I could upload them. Sorry.

ben

Oh I gotcha brah... You want us to go look for your amazingly talented results... never made the connection Mr. Obvious

Nevermind :eek:

Tune-A-Fish said:
Oh I gotcha brah... You want us to go look for your amazingly talented results... never made the connection Mr. Obvious

Nevermind :eek:

It isn't like that at all. This site is actually pretty good about attachments and the size of them. I like that a lot. Other sites that allow attachments limit the file size so much that you end up having to resize in to order to get under the limit.

I don't find clicking a link to be too much trouble, and just wanted to do a quick post. When I have more time, I'll do better about attaching pics.

ben

It sounds like you have a thorough and methodical approach to motorbikes- I would use this to your advantage and purchase something that has already been hacked up and bring it back to life. Find a $500 Craigslist dog that has had the wheels and valvecover painted red and a set of Chinese shocks put on. Use your skills to rescue it, install a hipo cam, and a nice set of flat slides. Paint and detail the engine, adapt a tank from a TS185 and make a new seat. Don't be a Brian Fuller where you take a primo vintage bike and hack it into a goat turd. Be a Chip Foose where you take a bastard child and turn it into a piece of rolling art.

redwillissuperman said:
It sounds like you have a thorough and methodical approach to motorbikes- I would use this to your advantage and purchase something that has already been hacked up and bring it back to life. Find a $500 Craigslist dog that has had the wheels and valvecover painted red and a set of Chinese shocks put on. Use your skills to rescue it, install a hipo cam, and a nice set of flat slides. Paint and detail the engine, adapt a tank from a TS185 and make a new seat. Don't be a Brian Fuller where you take a primo vintage bike and hack it into a goat turd. Be a Chip Foose where you take a bastard child and turn it into a piece of rolling art.

That is pretty much the plan now. I'll just keep working on this bike, freshen it up, make some personal changes, but mostly keep it original. I'll hunt for a new project bike once I feel like I've got this one sorted to my liking.

ben

miffa said:
Oh well.........dont forget to get the BIG ok off these here ben before YOU buy with your MONEY your next project bike ,and try and avoid the ultra rare CBs ,you dont want to upset the clique ;)

im sure it will look just dandy like candy once you have made some personal changes,there's some great glittery honda stickers on eBay

I'm not giving in to peer pressure. I knew this might happen from the start and mentioned that in my original post. As I get deeper into this bike, I realize more and more that it is in very good condition in a lot of ways. I'm not doing a full restore on it or anything like that. At this point, I'm just not going to hack on it and try to enjoy it for what it already is.

Believe me, there will be a brat project. I'm not done wanting one of those.

ben

Some more minor progress to report. One of the things I did as a part of painting the bike was restored one of the two stator covers that I had. The one that was on the bike overall was in better condition, but had some bad gouges in it that would never sand out completely. The other one had no gouges, but a pretty rough finish.

I decided to rough sand down the bad finish on the second one, then mask off and paint the recessed lettering areas. I then started doing the finishing sanding working my way up to finer grits of sand paper, wet sanding, and so on.

You can see the final result after only two passes with Mother's Aluminum polish. The original cover is at the top, and the newly restored is on the bottom in each photo.

ben

Attachments

• 20151206_123417.jpg
    20151206_123417.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 269
  • 20151206_135517.jpg
    20151206_135517.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 277
To get the motor out of the frame by myself, I took a tip I saw on another forum and made a cradle out of wood that allowed me to support the engine with my floor jack. Although it isn't directly connected to the engine, I was able to safely move the engine out of the frame and roll it around my garage and even used it as a stand to paint the engine.

ben

Attachments

• 20151204_192925.jpg
    20151204_192925.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 269
  • 20151205_074421.jpg
    20151205_074421.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 271
  • 20151205_074441.jpg
    20151205_074441.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 263
  • 20151205_074453.jpg