Out in a field Build ... XS 500 The Sock Monkey ( Finished pics ,video, )

Re: Out in a field Build ....

No I made a prototype out of some parts from a mout for my XC speedo mount . Then when I got it where I wanted it I took that to a friend that has a cutting table and he cut it out . But will be remaking it because I need a mounting point for my ignition so going to rework it a lil ! If u need I have pics of the prototype and the mount that's on there !

Need lil help .... doing my wiring on the bike and keeping what i can if there good and new wire from front to back . the Q : can i run a pamco set up from a XS650 ( mikesXS ) on my XS500 ? and which would work best for my needs ? motor is stock and running stock coils .
any help would be great thanks guys !

Picked up all my paint for the sheet metal other day . Going to be going Flame Red on all the metal and black on the frame and other parts. Picked everything up from summit racing at a good price .....
hkjfhfkl.jpg
firefire.jpg

Will be prepin everything in the next week or so !
am also picking up a new set of carbs and working the wiring out which is a learning leasson LOL !

Also went to pick up a new set of carbs for the bike . going with VM32mm round slides , new 2 into 1 cable and throttle housing . didnt get the carbs that day due to the fact there sitting in customs in Cal right now but should have them next week . did get the other stuff tho ....
cable-1.jpg

Now i have been avoiding the wiring as much as i can lol but i cant any more do to thats where im at ! i posted a few Q a while back about it and it was driving me nut so i moved on to other parts but i have to do it now if i want to or not . so been working on the harness trying to get it all worked out and let me say its a learning thing for sure !

Well the new carbs came in and a few other parts like a tail light and reg/rec . mounted up the carbs to check fit and all good there and got the tail section mounted . Now im workin on Frenchin in the tail light which is something new to me but will have a nice flow to the tail . Also have a Newtronic ignition YAM3 on the way so only have a few more odds and ends to get everything for the wiring buttined up and move on to other odds and ends like bolts and PCing parts !
carbs.jpg
KGrHqJHJDQE9E6IbwyBPUNFhNSyQ60_58.jpg

Just a cool pic of the carbs mounted up......
carbsface.jpg

Awesome man... making some nice progress.

What all did you have to buy from Summit to complete the job. Every time I see someone buy paint from them it seems like 15 boxes of shit. I would love to try their stuff but that's a bit intimidating for me.

Thanks guys !

Sxecafe going to be the first time ive painted or used there product . i can post the list of product and what they are if you would like . its a single stage paint so hoping will make it easier and with a nice finish. and really wasnt to costly which i thought was going to kill the budget lol

I would love to see the list, if you dont mind. I'll stay tuned for a full report. ;)

DreadRock said:
been messing with the wheels and sub-fender for the rear wheel.....
wheel3.jpg

still looking for a few new rear brake disk bolts have found a few but there 4 bucks a bolt LOL and need 11 of them ...
pics bad but this is how it turned out ...
bike3.jpg
Where did you find the red wheel rim trim I really like it?

Cloyd : i got the wheel trim from ebay there are a few diff ones you can find and for any bike !

sxecafe : here is a list of the paint supplys i picked up from summit ......
listofpaint.jpg

Worked on the rear tail light last night and with a lil more work will have it off to paint ! Took me all day to bring myself to cut into the tail section must have made 3 or 4 templets and back and forth to get it right the first time . need to find a lil softer trim to go around the opening but over all really like the way it came out ......
klwdpaq.jpg

Thanks, for the pain list man... doesnt seem too difficult and oddly enough, most everything makes sense.

and Dude.... are you really going to leave me hanging with just that one awesome picture of the tail light?! Can you at least show me under the seat too?! I have a similar set up coming and want to see how you did it. Looks rad.

Thanks Pad ...!

sxecafe : Here are a few pics of the bracket and how i mounted it . Took the stock bracket the light came on and made some bends . And the way i have the light mounted i can pull the tail off with 3 bolts and slide the tail off. Light truely isnt mounted to the seat , its mounted to the rear plate .
shell.jpg
tailone.jpg
wold.jpg
wlokk.jpg

Re: Out in a field Build ... The Sock Monkey

Not doing a whole lot just waiting on more parts and time . Heres a list of parts waiting to be installed:
Newtronic Ignition ( Yam3 )
New Shorai battery
New Sumax (red) plug wires
Starter relay
Rec/Reg
Clutch cable from Motion-Pro
Clutch Adjuster
Have to say the Shorai battery is sweet and is a small battery about 2lbs and fits in my palm. So need one more part i believe and i can start on the wiring and I HOPE get it running in the next few weeks !
KGrHqJHJDQE9E6IbwyBPUNFhNSyQ60_58.jpg
moreparts.jpg
shorai.jpg
wiressss.jpg

Keep us posted for sure on the Newtronic ignition and how you like it. I plan on getting one, but other expenses keep getting in the way. And not to sound shitty or anything, but I'm glad you're using a different taillight than I am.... Great minds may think alike, but I'd hate to head to a show or something and see another bike just like mine. And yours is really close!

That light looks perfect in there, very natural. I can't wait to see this thing finished.

Back
Top Bottom