Frame Sliders?

dmable44

Been Around the Block
Not sure if this is the proper place to post about these but I was just curious to see if anyone has installed frame sliders on the older bikes? I did a search but didn't find much, most of it being on newer bikes that already had mounting placers for them.

So, whats your take on them? Useful? Helpful? Not worth it?

I was just tossing around the idea that once I get my bike powdercoated, painted, and looking nice I wouldn't want a stupid low speed crash or tip over to damage anything major too bad.

Had a 05 CBR with them on it. It got tipped over one night, drunk girl wanting to take a picture on it, hairline crack in the frame where the slider was. Apparently, that's a decently common occurance.

Also had a set save my CBR954RR when it went for a slide at 65mph.

J-Rod10 said:
Had a 05 CBR with them on it. It got tipped over one night, drunk girl wanting to take a picture on it, hairline crack in the frame where the slider was. Apparently, that's a decently common occurance.

Also had a set save my CBR954RR when it went for a slide at 65mph.

I have seen them do more damage than good, like the crack you mentioned. Aftering having them on the bike with two different incidents with different outcomes, would you run them again?

Never put them on another.

They worked fine on the lowside on the 954, so I put some on the 600, they did not work fine.

J-Rod10 said:
Never put them on another.

They worked fine on the lowside on the 954, so I put some on the 600, they did not work fine.

Interesting. Both bikes were aluminum frames correct? Even though these old bikes are steel, I'm beginning to think its just not worth it to fabricate mounts for the sliders and go the length to put them on.

I could be wrong, but it seems like sliders do more good for full body plastic kits. Most old bikes don't have all that plastic. The times I've gone down on old bikes, most of the damage has been to forks, controls and handlebars. A dent in the tank was the worst and a slider wouldn't have kept my handlebar out of the tank anyway.

Why not reeeeally protect it
ZeusArmor-0506-636-Dual-Slider-Cage-Subcage-Axle-Pegs-Stunt-Neon-Orange.jpg

They used to build case guards for the older bikes, now days they are frame sliders. Case guards were just that, saved your engine cases in a road slide. Frame sliders help protect plastic better than the cases these days but I do run Delrin frame sliders on my ZRX. I also put a set on my wife's FZ6R.

canyoncarver said:
They used to build case guards for the older bikes, now days they are frame sliders. Case guards were just that, saved your engine cases in a road slide. Frame sliders help protect plastic better than the cases these days but I do run Delrin frame sliders on my ZRX. I also put a set on my wife's FZ6R.

Thats a stunt cage mang.

Yep, what you posted is definitely a stunter cage, I was talking about these though:

Attachments

• caseguards.jpg
    caseguards.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 211
canyoncarver said:
Yep, what you posted is definitely a stunter cage, I was talking about these though:

Yep. I have a set of those somewhere for a CB750A but likely fit any K model.

Back
Top Bottom