Comstars + gsx-r front end

I too am working on a comstar to CBR front end. Here's what I have currently

Here's a cross section of the wheel/hub of the comstar and the colored components are what I need to machine. Spacers and such. The blue section is the bearings, also went with 9mm and the fuschia is the bearing dust seals. Red is the spacers. And green is the axle collar. The rotors I used have an offset of 12.5mm so I had to take that into consideration when I designed the hub rotor adaptor.
m24hEPX.png

dxWIxUI.jpg

tc2GpvX.jpg

4virn8I.jpg

erock85 said:
I too am working on a comstar to CBR front end. Here's what I have currently

Here's a cross section of the wheel/hub of the comstar and the colored components are what I need to machine. Spacers and such. The blue section is the bearings, also went with 9mm and the fuschia is the bearing dust seals. Red is the spacers. And green is the axle collar. The rotors I used have an offset of 12.5mm so I had to take that into consideration when I designed the hub rotor adaptor.

erock85 - Wow cool, that diagram is super helpful. If you have a file I can use to figure out the measurements for the GSX forks and rotor combo i have, i will buy you six pack! What thickness seals did you use? I see you've got the ID of the seals at 32mm so that the spacer slip in there...

rs_ss350 said:
erock85 - Wow cool, that diagram is super helpful. If you have a file I can use to figure out the measurements for the GSX forks and rotor combo i have, i will buy you six pack! What thickness seals did you use? I see you've got the ID of the seals at 32mm so that the spacer slip in there...
I actually have the GSXR drawing too, that might help better. I used Hayabusa rotors with caliper spacers on my cb360, but that has a Harley wheel. You can do this how you want but you will need the measurements Fork Spacing at Wheel Spindle Clamps = 153mm here's the drawing I made up. So really you could put the comstar hub in the gsxr drawing if you want and you should be able to figure out your spacers needed.
Yes, the spacer will be in the seal and up against the bearing.
gsxr: I can't find the actual .dwg for this. It might be on my home computer, I'm at work now. I'll look tonight
axleforkhubassembled.jpg

Here's the .dwg for the comstar to CBR https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9hiVQBdcJeBZDFYUHRrM0UySUk

irk miller said:
You don't really need the dust seals. It has sealed bearings.
This is true, but with the narrower bearing I wanted to fill that void I suppose.

erock85 said:
This is true, but with the narrower bearing I wanted to fill that void I suppose.
Just pointing that out to the OP, not a question for your design. I flanged my spacer in that situation.

irk miller said:
Just pointing that out to the OP, not a question for your design. I flanged my spacer in that situation.
I read ya. And to be honest, I may do that too, which the OP might want to do. I was doing some quick math just now and with a 32 OD x 25 ID that only leaves 3.5mm wall thickness on the spacer. That might not be strong enough. So there is room for options if that is needed. Thanks for the idea!

rs_ss350 said:
thank you!

So the Comstar bearing has 42mm OD and 15mm ID, with 13mm width. The GSX axle is 25mm ID, so I found an All Balls bearing that's 42mm OD, 25mm ID, but it's 9mm wide. Will the narrower width be a concern in terms of performance/wear-tear? And if not a concern, I assume the spacer inside the hub will need to be 8mm wider to make up for the space difference, then we should be all good?

you will need a new internal bushing, keep stock width but make it 25mm ID. Then you'll need custom centering spacers. Then you'll need to measure for rotor adapters. I can made what you need, but with time and material it is going to cost $300-400 for axle spacers and rotor adapters. And I'd need VERY accurate measurements from you, or at least the axle and wheel mailed to me with the replacement bearings and rotors.

16665894_1955303628031018_7302969325472733904_o.jpg

did this one with an FZ1000 front end and GSXR rotor for a cb750 DOHC for a guy in central PA

irk miller said:
You want a slide fit. Not tight, but not loose either. Essentially, OD of axle should match ID of spacer.

i'd worry a little bit on the fit if the axle is exactly 25mm, and the ID of the spacer is exactly 25mm, that it might not fit? worried about machining tolerances. not doing the machining myself, so wondering if i should just specify a few 100ths of a mm larger so be safe?

erock85 said:
I read ya. And to be honest, I may do that too, which the OP might want to do. I was doing some quick math just now and with a 32 OD x 25 ID that only leaves 3.5mm wall thickness on the spacer. That might not be strong enough. So there is room for options if that is needed. Thanks for the idea!

SO rather than flange the spacer, making it a consistent thickness would work here?

erock85 said:
I actually have the GSXR drawing too, that might help better. I used Hayabusa rotors with caliper spacers on my cb360, but that has a Harley wheel. You can do this how you want but you will need the measurements Fork Spacing at Wheel Spindle Clamps = 153mm here's the drawing I made up. So really you could put the comstar hub in the gsxr drawing if you want and you should be able to figure out your spacers needed.
Yes, the spacer will be in the seal and up against the bearing.
gsxr: I can't find the actual .dwg for this. It might be on my home computer, I'm at work now. I'll look tonight

THanks, this is great!

focusinprogress said:
you will need a new internal bushing, keep stock width but make it 25mm ID. Then you'll need custom centering spacers. Then you'll need to measure for rotor adapters. I can made what you need, but with time and material it is going to cost $300-400 for axle spacers and rotor adapters. And I'd need VERY accurate measurements from you, or at least the axle and wheel mailed to me with the replacement bearings and rotors.

Thanks - same width makes sense to me now seeing the above diagram - wasn't sure there was a seat for the bearing. I found someone to machine up the rotor adapter locally and am currently designing it in cad. I really appreciate all the tips you guys are giving - I'm just learning.

rs_ss350 said:
THanks, this is great!
rs_ss350 said:
Thanks - same width makes sense to me now seeing the above diagram - wasn't sure there was a seat for the bearing. I found someone to machine up the rotor adapter locally and am currently designing it in cad. I really appreciate all the tips you guys are giving - I'm just learning.

Good luck, if you need any measurements just let me know. I remember doing the gsxr swap and even the cbr swap currently it is very helpful to get information from someone who has the parts in front of them. Just let me know

erock85 said:
Good luck, if you need any measurements just let me know. I remember doing the gsxr swap and even the cbr swap currently it is very helpful to get information from someone who has the parts in front of them. Just let me know

I appreciate the offer. One question I have now is on rotor choice. I have two sets - a GSX-R set and a Ninja set. The Ninja set has the holes in the perfect position (slightly wider holes) , making for a simpler adapter. Those rotors also have an offset which i'm unsure how to measure. THen the GSXR rotors will require something more like what you designed. Not sure what would be the more solid solution.

What do I need to measure to figure our the adapter width - what surfaces etc?

When I put VZ800 calipers on my R100/7 Lester rims, I clocked the rotors. Both the VZ and BMW patterns are 5 bolts but one is 5mm wider than the other. By clocking it and drilling new holes, it was a super easy solution. By clocking, I mean rotate the rotors to where the holes for the rim are centered between the existing holes on the rotor. To figure out the spacer thickness for the rotors, I got everything put together, including calipers. I ran threaded rod through the wheel holes, bolted it tight on both sides of the wheel, and floated the rotor off the wheel while making sure it was in the caliper nice and neat. Then I measured with a strip of paper. You have some leeway with the calipers. They float back and forth about 10mm.

rs_ss350 said:
I appreciate the offer. One question I have now is on rotor choice. I have two sets - a GSX-R set and a Ninja set. The Ninja set has the holes in the perfect position (slightly wider holes) , making for a simpler adapter. Those rotors also have an offset which i'm unsure how to measure. THen the GSXR rotors will require something more like what you designed. Not sure what would be the more solid solution.

What do I need to measure to figure our the adapter width - what surfaces etc?
Make certain you measure the distance between the calipers on the inside. I know the comstar wheel is kinda wide by the hub and tapers down to the rim. You don't want the calipers rubbing on the wheel. I went with 320mm rotors that push out the caliper further where the rim is narrower. The harley rim I used with the GSXR was narrow enough to not have issues. Just something to think about.

Didn't manage to measure for the rotors. Couldn't get threaded rods. Will wait for my bearings to rrive tomorrow so I can install on the actual axle.

question about the clocking - the inner diameter of the rotors are slightly off... what's the best method for keeping the pieces together - and centered - while drilling?

one more question - designing the spacer in CAD: what am i measuring on the existing hub or rotor to ensure i place the holes in the right position?

There's more than one way to do this. I did a GL1000 front end with the stock wheel. I machined the hub to accept a larger OD/ID bearing to match the VZ axle. I was fortunate to find a modern 300mm rotor to match the GL bolt pattern (95/96 YZF600R). So all I needed was the spacer. A used a template from the rotor to plot and drill the spacer. Because the rotors have a larger ID than the hub face, I machined it with a lip...
index.php

Here's the finished product with 99 - 02 SV650 calipers...
8bdb6a743ff217b890401603106765d4.jpg

d6116bde101bd873546ecfe7f8d60208.jpg

The BMW is clocked, and with the same lip as the GL. A cool thing about the BMWs is they have a metal piece installed on the outside of the rotor that covers the holes, so it looks clean. I used that same piece to pattern from. There are online resources for drawing templates, if you don't have the software already...
928421c686949a2814b05f312b3694bb.jpg

Back
Top Bottom