Cb450 modern Brat build

sanu29

Hey guys,

So finally got around to getting my motorcycle license back. and I started ordering the goodies to give my 71 CB450 some life..

So here is shot with the new headlights and blinker on, I am not sure of the blinkers as they look weird on the bike, thinking of getting some mini bullet style ones from ebay. I am also not loving the rear lights.

Attachments

• headlights.jpg
    headlights.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 720
  • rear three quarters.jpg
    rear three quarters.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 817
I like the blinkers. They are actually useful as blinker rather that the pretty much invisible little bullets a lot of guys put on. They are keeping true to the style of the original ones, while updating and modernizing the look.

The headlight is simply fuckin' awesome.

I kinda like those blinkers too..................where did you get them?

haha i hope this build thread turns into a 20-page blinker debate ::)

that headlight though is the truth, no doubt about that

raptormeat said:
hah those blinkers are actually hammers

AlphaDogChoppers said:
I like the blinkers. They are actually useful as blinker rather that the pretty much invisible little bullets a lot of guys put on. They are keeping true to the style of the original ones, while updating and modernizing the look.

The headlight is simply fuckin' awesome.

budlite282 said:
I kinda like those blinkers too..................where did you get them?

danker16 said:
keep the blinkers

Thanks, appreciate the input. I got them from amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CX7L1XI/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

raptormeat said:
haha i hope this build thread turns into a 20-page blinker debate ::)

that headlight though is the truth, no doubt about that

lol, that would be fun, its the BikeMaster Angel Halo Headlight, I really loved those led running lights on them at first sight.

Another set of goodies arrived today morning by UPS. A friend of mine is gonna teach me to jet and tune these bad boys. They are mikuni VM32s with K&N cone filters.

Attachments

• carbs_web.jpg
    carbs_web.jpg
    706.8 KB · Views: 505
If you really don't like the blinkers I will buy them from you...but I agree that they should stay.

Rich Ard said:
If you really don't like the blinkers I will buy them from you...but I agree that they should stay.

Thanks for the feedback, since everyone likes them I think I will keep em. you can order them from amazon pretty cheap though http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CX7L1XI/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was riding the bike and couple of times the power was cut off and the bike will be dead and it looked like the ignition switch was broken. I had to jiggle the switch to with keys to get the power on. so I ordered a used switch from ebay which was in good condition and replaced my old one. worked like a charm.

Attachments

• ignition 2.JPG
    ignition 2.JPG
    266.2 KB · Views: 456
  • ignition 3.JPG
    ignition 3.JPG
    315.4 KB · Views: 447
I love simple fixes like that. Nice looking carbs btw. Good luck with the lessons. I still need to pick up a good book on Mikunis.

Blinkers stay, just take an inch off the stalks, and agree with everybody that the headlight rocks...

Yup. Agreed as well with above... Interested to see more progress... Subscribed ;D

mark13018 said:
Yup. Agreed as well with above... Interested to see more progress... Subscribed ;D

rattpunk said:
I love simple fixes like that. Nice looking carbs btw. Good luck with the lessons. I still need to pick up a good book on Mikunis.

ApriliaBill said:
Blinkers stay, just take an inch off the stalks, and agree with everybody that the headlight rocks...

Thanks guys appreciate the feedback. I am keeping the blinkers :)
Next step took the tank off, I am hoping to sort the wiring, connect the new Li-ion battery and Sparck Moto rectifier/regulator combo.

I am also thinking of painting the tank a satin white color. :)

Attachments

• tankless.jpg
    tankless.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 427
  • Tank_Points.jpg
    Tank_Points.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 419
Finally had some free time and took the front sprocket apart. Man the gear shifter took me like an hour to get out. These insides look grimy to me, any tips on cleaning them out is welcome. Also does that shaft sticking out other than the gearshift shaft needs to be lubricated, if so what type?

I am planning on replacing the sprocket with a 520 one. The chain also doesn't look too good to me.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    575.2 KB · Views: 419
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    521.2 KB · Views: 431
definitely time for a new chain and sprockets. Do yourself a favor and get a rivet style master link not one of the clip on ones. I wouldn't worry about cleaning in there too much. 1. you cant see it when the drive cover is on 2. it will get grimey again when you lube your chain, unless you are one of those guys that doesn't lube (ouch) ;D you may want to put a touch of grease on the shift shaft before reinstalling the cover as to not damage the oil seal if one is present. i wouldn't worry about the clutch pushrod.

Man that's a good looking bike, I'd ride the hell out of it just as is with some cleaning and soft part replacements anyway. If you're gonna repaint, get some replacement parts and paint those, that blue/white on the tank is awesome, even if its a little dinged or scratched up it has more character than then just a white paint job. If it was me I would clean it up and wax or clear it and call it done.

I think you might find there is just about the same amount of aftermarket stuff for those stock carbs as there are for the mikunis, nothing against them I've had lots of luck getting mine to run fine, however closer you keep things to stock the better they work, slapping pods on the back of them will cause all kinds of issues.

Next time you need to pull the shifter just take the bolt out and drive a flat head screwdriver into the slot at the back to expand it. Should slide right off then. Be careful chain kits as some of the larger sized ones will rub the clutch actuating arm inside the cover and rip it apart. Cleaning in there is nothing more than getting a can of degreaser and spraying it around. No real need to clean up since it will end up dirty anyway, can check seals for leaks while you are in there any way, make sure the washer is still locked in place on the shift shaft with a cir-clip. If the clip looks remotely loose replace it, that's one of the main problems with 450's, will cause funky or hard shifting. Make sure you don't loose the ball bearing in the clutch actuator. ;)

If you haven't gotten one already copy of of the HONDA shop manual can be had here

I suggest getting comfy with that engine, they are wonderful little pieces of art that have internals that look like sewing machines. Get something wrong they run like crap or don't at all. Get em right they have more than enough power to hang with just about everything out there today. Still surprises me how much power mine makes sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom