Re: CM400C Cafe Garage Build - Seat complete - New Photos

Re: My Precious - CM400C Cafe(ish) - first build

After I hit 5th gear, I move my feet to the passenger pegs. They are a bit far back, rear sets will come eventually. I'm short though, 5'8" so it's not too bad to be scrunched up on the front pegs. somebody 6'+ would find it pretty awkward.

Quick update,

New choke cable today (the old one snapped in half and came out in my hand),

Also, did a temp move of the electrics, and battery to up under the seat so I could ditch the side covers! ;)

_DSC3212%20%28Copy%29.JPG

Took it for a little test drive to the grocery store (twice) I don't know if it's any faster, but it feels faster because it looks faster!

Last edited:

keep up the good work, i am looking forward to seeing how the seat turns out.

post some videos when you can

Little updates - New rubber

Just a quick update, a couple of little things. I have had so much fun riding this bike this summer, that the build plans went pretty much out the window. And, every little thing I do makes it even more fun to ride.

Today, FINALLY put the new rubber on (after a lengthy skid at a yellow light on the old bald stuff!). Big difference. Now I can scrape the footpeg on corners :D .

I also adjusted the stance a bit. To lower the frond-end, and reduce the rake a bit, I raised the forks in the clamp by 1" 1/4, which was as much as I could get away with below the clubman bars. I also adjusted the rear shocks to their highest setting, which raised the seat a tiny bit, and stiffened up the rear end nicely. These two adjustments took about 90 seconds, can't believe I didn't do it sooner. It feels much more solid now, especially with the new rear tire.

I also left off the front fender when I did the tires/forks. I had originally left it on because it's quite rainy here. but I realized that for the most part, I am a fair-weather rider. If I find I get too much splatter when it's wet, I will put a more chopped version of the fender back on.

Current photos (not much different from the last ones, but the tires look nice)

001-bikeOct12.jpg

002-bikeOct12.jpg

003-bikeOct12.jpg

004-bikeOct12.jpg

Last edited:
Please get back to your Seat!

Getting ready for the seat. I'm still trying to decide whether to destroy the mint original factory seat to salvage the seat pan and foam, or sell it, and make my own pan. In the meantime, 4 beers, Bruce Willis and I diligently dismantled a $20 ebay leather jacket to get the material for the seat cover.

There is lots to futz with because I expect to make a few mistakes, but I really like the look of the real, old worn leather. The Jacket it probably 50's/60's era based on the lining material, and the cool brass zippers. It was really well used, makes me wonder about the guy who owned it. Hopefully he drove a bike!

AD0313_01983.jpg

PS, In proof reading my post, I realize that by the time I'm done, the beer for my seat is going to cost me more than the actual materials to make it ;D

Last edited:

Man, this is going to look great with that distressed leather! I'm getting inspired to restart my Seca II cafe build this spring.

Hi
Tough joice.
If you want to keep the seat pan & fixings, sell the mint seat & buy a shite seat of egay to rip apart if you want an easy swap, however it may seem like a bit of biggish job to start from scratch but you'll end up with what you wanted/imagined rather than a Honda based compromise.
Cheers.
Goody.

You must live in canada. The beer cost on my Seat was 45.00, the leather and thread was 25. I cut my pan down in width, and length and trimmed my foam. CM Seats mint do not fetch Big Dollars. cut away. I had 3 of them and none cost me more than 25.00. The leather does look good. You should be able to make the pieces you need to creat a cover. If you trim your pan, you can drill holes and use rivets to hold the cover.

Cheers. Here is a pic of my finished seat with a cowl I made to cover the tailight. And one of the pan with the cut down foam.

The CX500 seat started out looking exactly like the stock CM seat. If I hadn't sold my CM I could have set them side by side to show before and after

Attachments

• seat2.jpg
    seat2.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 2,334
  • uploadfromtaptalk1362620741399.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362620741399.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 2,319
Re: My Precious - CM400C Working on The Seat Pan

A nice day up here in the great white north for a little C.A.D. Seat Pan Design

AD0413_02233.jpg

AD0413_02234.jpg

AD0413_02235.jpg

AD0413_02236.jpg

I am going for the MotoMucci CX500 look on the seat, form fitting to the broke-back frame.

MotoMucci+Side.jpg

MotoMucci+Engine.jpg

(awesome build by the way, I'm sure you have all seen it http://www.motomucci.com/2011/10/project-cx-full-shoot.html

Also just put the carbs back together after a sweet cleaning in the Ultrasonic Cleaner at the helicopter hangar where my Brother works. Carb Sync tools, and jets arrive this week!

Also imminent:

- Rear Fender Chop
- Discard of Exhaust H Box (before jetting)
- organize electrical under seat pan
- De-Tab the frame

Last edited:
Re: My Precious - CM400C Cafe(ish) - Seat Pan Time

Seat Pan Progress!

I picked up a second seat for $20 which gave me a donor seat pan to work on while still being able to use the old seat to ride (although throttle cable snapped the other day, so waiting on a new one)(two actually)

seat pan modding in progress. I'll be able to keep the factory seat release for easy access to my electrics, battery and tools.

Seatpan.JPG

Last edited:

Looks fun! I've been in a really similar spot with mine for a while now. I love this little bike. I have an '08 Sportster that I ride every day, but my CM was my first bike, and it's my baby. It's getting some suspension upgrades (full progressive suspension!) clip ons and rearsets now. I've had it for like three years now, and it's evolved over time. I just can't quit riding it long enough!

I sold my CM400 in April so I have to live vicariously through other people's builds. I'm looking forward to see how that seat turns out!

coldfuzion76 said:
Looks fun! I've been in a really similar spot with mine for a while now. I love this little bike. I have an '08 Sportster that I ride every day, but my CM was my first bike, and it's my baby. It's getting some suspension upgrades (full progressive suspension!) clip ons and rearsets now. I've had it for like three years now, and it's evolved over time. I just can't quit riding it long enough!

I like the look of that CB360 tank on the 400, Does it fit the CM400 factory mounts? watchya doin with the dented one?

For right now the dented one has to stay. Haven't found a replacement yet, but a friend is bringing me something to look at today, so I'll let you know.

All I did to mount it was cut the ears down on the frame, I think an inch, and make a piece to run from the factory mount in the rear up to the tank.

yjymy5yb.jpg

The ears are now the same length as the smaller diameter part of the old rubber mounts. I just cut the big part off.

apa6upyh.jpg

Cool. I found one, and it's on the way. $51 shipped.

It will need a bit of work though...

cb360tank.JPG

Last edited:

Looks about like the first one I bought. Got another one on there now, and got the suspension finished a couple of weekends ago. Think I'm gonna fix and repaint the other tank now, but I'm really liking the rough look of this one for now.

I noticed you're using the A123, battery, even. Had mine in there for a year now and I've still never charged it. It works great!

Do the A123's require a modification of the stock charging system? Are you using a simple 4s pack or is it 4s2p?

Great looking bikes both.

Mike

The A123's are really resilient, and seem to charge fine from the stock generator. I'm using 4s, but I carry a backup. a 4s 2p would provide a bit more cranking power, and time if you bike is a bit tough to start. (mine fires right up almost every time!) I may switch to a 4s2p for a bit more piece of mind.

Re: My Precious - CM400C Cafe(ish) - I'm still alive!

Ok, It's been a long while since I updated this thread, but I have some pretty good reasons!

I moved, twice, but now we are in an awesome new house that backs onto green space and a river, and Bald Eagles hang out in the trees 30 feet away.
I've been doing quite a few custom additions to the house, fireplace, lots of shelves and storage, a custom bath and tiling, the house took up most of last summer. Along with the new house came a new garage though, which I have been diligently working on converting into shop space for year-round wrenching.

TAAA DAAAA!

***(06/2023) SO I searched High and Low to find the photos that used to be here but can't. Imagine some photos of a nice new double garage with an excellent workbench. I don't liver there anymore.***

Notice the charging station installed for my electric moto conversion project, and the sexy epoxy floor (5 days of work!)

So now I have lots of space to work, and as you can see I have several projects on the go. 1976 Jeep CJ5, ICE CM400 Cafe Racer, and The Electric Cane. Now it's spring and I can work with the garage door open. The wrenching shall commence!

Last edited:
Re: My Precious - CM400C Cafe(ish) - Top Ended!

With the house mods last year, it's been slow progress for the bike. But my in-laws are leaving tomorrow (after three weeks :eek: ) so I am back to business, because the weather is looking up and I don't have a ride.

In the middle of a top end rebuild. New piston rings, valve seals, gaskets, and a good cleaning. Then strip degrease and paint the case, jugs and head. I have already rough brushed the 3 alloy engine covers and the oil filter cover. I was going to polish them, but I am really liking the rough brushed look, so I will leave them for now. Also going to de-tab, clean up and paint the frame this week.

The seat pan has finally been cut and welded, so I have some foam molding and upholstery to do too. I'm hoping to have it back on the road in 2 weeks. (so probably more like June :-\ )

some progress photos:

Top-end_01.JPG

Top-end_02.JPG

Top-end_03.JPG

Top-end_04.JPG

Top-end_05.JPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom