Anybody here know the CB500/CB550????

03rangerxlt

Been Around the Block
My 1972 CB500 is leaking oil from around the clutch adjustment cover. I've yet to check to see if its from the oil pump or the oil pressure sensor. The oil light is on but there is plenty of oil in the motor.

So what do I need to check and how? What am I looking for? Any tips on how to handle a leaking oil pump?

From around - is not nearly a good enough description when you want us to help. Pics will help a lot ;)

The oil-light sensor is pressure activated. Thats why it burns when the engine (and the pump) is not running. Once you start the engine, the pump does it's work and oil pressure builds up. The oil light goes out.

When there is enough oil in the engine and the oil light stays on, you have 2 options.
1. the switch is broken.
2. you're not building any oil pressure.

i strongly suggest not to run the engine before you know whats wrong. Oil is kinda vital ;)
It's important you do not fill the engine up with oil, more then in the manual. The engine needs no more then the right amount, any more will damage it just as to little will.

Bert Jan said:
From around - is not nearly a good enough description when you want us to help. Pics will help a lot ;)

The oil-light sensor is pressure activated. Thats why it burns when the engine (and the pump) is not running. Once you start the engine, the pump does it's work and oil pressure builds up. The oil light goes out.

When there is enough oil in the engine and the oil light stays on, you have 2 options.
1. the switch is broken.
2. you're not building any oil pressure.

i strongly suggest not to run the engine before you know whats wrong. Oil is kinda vital ;)
It's important you do not fill the engine up with oil, more then in the manual. The engine needs no more then the right amount, any more will damage it just as to little will.

I agree. Stop. You can take the oil pan off, and the oil pump screen is right there. Drain the oil to see if there are any bits of metal etc in it (before you take the cover off of course)

And verify that your switch isn't broken as Bert mentioned. These are 40 year old bikes....SOMETHING is bound to fail on them right?!? Let's hope it's just the switch.

I haven't gotten a chance to get under the clutch adjustment cover yet, but I'm almost willing to bet its going to be the oil pressure sensor.

See, I don't know what I'm doing, and I assembled the bike from a box of parts. There originally was a bolt (properly threaded thank God) stuck in the whole where the oil pressure sensor belonged. Thank God I had a complete spare motor that hadn't been monkeyed with to look at and learn what was really supposed to be there.

So I took the bolt out and put the oil pressure sensor in...

...and I didn't use any teflon tape on the threads.

I would almost bet thats where the problem is.

I can hope anyways.

But, because its an old sensor anyways, I ordered a replacement part and I will be sure to install is correctly. Lets hope that works.

03rangerxlt said:
I haven't gotten a chance to get under the clutch adjustment cover yet, but I'm almost willing to bet its going to be the oil pressure sensor.

See, I don't know what I'm doing, and I assembled the bike from a box of parts. There originally was a bolt (properly threaded thank God) stuck in the whole where the oil pressure sensor belonged. Thank God I had a complete spare motor that hadn't been monkeyed with to look at and learn what was really supposed to be there.

So I took the bolt out and put the oil pressure sensor in...

...and I didn't use any teflon tape on the threads.

I would almost bet thats where the problem is.

I can hope anyways.

But, because its an old sensor anyways, I ordered a replacement part and I will be sure to install is correctly. Lets hope that works.

Ah, yes, not using teflon tape, or some other "material" (locktite) on it can cause this. Double check that it's not the clutch rod seal, or anything behind the sprocket too :)

Back
Top Bottom