1972 TS185 Custom Tracker Brat Build

jodhilla

Hi - Im new here and wanted to share my new project.

I went to a freesale a few months back and fund this little gem in the back of the garage that the over signed over to me for $0! It was missing the piston and then on closer inspection the motor casing had cracked on the sump plug. Im keeping an eye out for a new motor and have seen some ranging from $150 - $250 so considering this has so far cost me nothing its a worth while investment.

ts185.png

So my plan is to build it into a Tracker/Brat style build. My first task was to strip the whole thing back to the frame clean, treat and respray the frame.

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

Nearly all apart...

IMG_0085.jpg

Respray in progress

IMG_0257.jpg

Ive also cleaned up and sprayed the fork - with new dust seals on order, stripped and resprayed the tank in grey metal flake and started to reassemble.

IMG_0274.jpg

I was measuring up the rear fender here, my plan is to cut it shorter then fit a smaller brat tail light, as its a pre '73 I can get away without turn signals, though if I can successfully convert the electrics to 12v then I can put an LED tail light with built in turn signals that will keep the look that I want.

This weekend Im planning on starting to build up a seat pan, Im hoping to not have to chop the frame braces off, although I may lean it a little taking of the old seat hinges.

It would be great to get some feedback from experienced customizers on here as this is a first time project as well!

depending on the overall condition of the motor you might want to consider having the case welded and replacing the seals, bearings and throw a new piston in it. Used motors of this era are rarely roadworthy and will most likely need work anyway. Might as well spend that 200 on rebuild parts and case halves normally sell around $30 if you don't get a decent price on the welding.

I really like following these ts builds. My brother owns 4 of them and Im sure he would have some advice on mods but he's AD. For now Ill just tag along and chime in when I can.

Thanks for the advice, the history that I know of the motor is it was removed in 1984 to have the piston replaced and never completed, then dry stored for the next 20 years! currently it all moves fine when I crank it by hand. In many ways it would be nice to get the original motor rebuilt.

I dont know it it will be easily welded because of the position of the crack, its actually a chunk of the sump thats broken away. but I will try to find somebody locally who will give me a price on replacing the casing and rebuilding it.

I dont really care if this build ends up costing more than its worth, its a more a fun project that I am really enjoying... and there is no price on that!!

Back
Top Bottom