Xs650 cafe project

oldscotty

So I am finally starting my cafe project. The donor bike is an 81 xs650 special with an xv920 dual disk front end. The front will be getting a set of progressive springs and I will be doing away with the air assist. I will be building the motor into a 750 big bore with a shell #1 cam. Swapping the rear out to a disk brake set up as well. Got the bike on the lift today and got the motor pulled. Damn, that sucker is heavy!

Attachments

• IMG_0582.JPG
    IMG_0582.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 302
  • IMG_0583.JPG
    IMG_0583.JPG
    941.5 KB · Views: 285
So this might open a HUGE can of stinky, but I would like some input on the different ignitions for this bike. My old xs650 chopper had a Boyer bransden ignition on it and it worked well. This bike is a factory tci bike and I don't know the performance benefits of this type of ignition. I have a Pamco on my cb360 and it works well in that application. Just curious what the xs speed freaks prefer.

So off came the head and then I had to under take the task of freeing that pesky stuck right cylinder. Lots of PB blaster and a big ass hammer and punch and she came right out. Not gonna use the stock jugs or pistons so no worries. Combustion chamber on the head cleaned up good too.

Attachments

• IMG_0585.JPG
    IMG_0585.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 282
  • IMG_0587.JPG
    IMG_0587.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 281
  • IMG_0588.JPG
    IMG_0588.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 275
  • IMG_0589.JPG
    IMG_0589.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 294
If you want to change out the charging system to a PMA, you will have to change the ignition. A large number of people seem to like the pamco, but I haven't seen anything bad about the boyer. They seem to be the major ones. But if you are keeping the stock charging system, I would just keep the TCI.

motnz said:
You can retain the standard ignition system and update the charging system with a PMA....

Not with the TCI. It's triggered by the rotor, so swapping to a PMA gets rid of what triggers the TCI. So that means going to points or one of the other ignitions available.

Back
Top Bottom