New DTT member 360T build

pictures after first treatment with vinegar and aquarium rocks

Used vinegar with sludge and rust sediment
29y5ddz.jpg

Rust and rock collection
so3alc.jpg

much cleaner interior of tank
261og9h.jpg

i have another gallon of vinegar and rocks in the tank to do for another 24 hours, then plan on filling with 3 gallons for a further 24 hours, rinse, oil and fill. i think i will wait to do a tank coating because my summers winding down and ill be returning to college in a few weeks.

Just in case the vinegar is taking too long...

http://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=FGphos&gclid=CKXl25qG7rgCFaU5QgodyQ8Aog

:D

thanks Sonreir, i dont really mind the wait especially when a gallon of vinegar is less than $2

I'm on board.
I have a tank that needs cleaning... glad to see some helpful hints on here since I haven't done this yet.

I just spent the last week of my life cleaning out my 360 tank using the vinegar and screw method. It's a terrible mess and a pain in the ass but it works. I had flaking Kreem with a layer of rust underneath and it took 3 rounds of fresh vinegar and rinsing with water to get it all out. I did my final rinse with isopropyl alcohol to avoid flash rusting and it looks pretty good. I can still see a few spots where the Kreem is still attached and I'm hoping it doesn't come off and clog my petcock and filters.

I may try coating with oil but I'm not sure if I need to now that it's completely dry and rust free (at the moment). The oil surely won't be a long term solution once you add gas to the tank. Does anyone else have any other CHEAP solutions beside keeping the tank full?

mrodub said:
I just spent the last week of my life cleaning out my 360 tank using the vinegar and screw method. It's a terrible mess and a pain in the ass but it works. I had flaking Kreem with a layer of rust underneath and it took 3 rounds of fresh vinegar and rinsing with water to get it all out. I did my final rinse with isopropyl alcohol to avoid flash rusting and it looks pretty good. I can still see a few spots where the Kreem is still attached and I'm hoping it doesn't come off and clog my petcock and filters.

just picked a grabber tool up like this at lowes came in a combo pack with a telescoping maget pickup tool for $3. thought it would work nice to pick up the last few rocks in the tank when rinsing it out. you might be able to use it to rip the old liner off though.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/24-Flexible-Spring-4-Claw-Pick-Up-Tool-/00/s/NTYzWDc1MA==/$(KGrHqJ,!kwE8NsBn!,mBPLl6lsp8Q~~60_35.JPG

have to copy and paste the link idk why it isnt working

ok so after a few days of vinegar and rocks and a lot of shaking i think the tank looks pretty good

e9tbud.jpg

the tanks seams to be flash rusting almost instantly after flushing out with baking soda and lots of water. i poured about 4 cups of oil in the tank to give a nice heavy coat to prevent further rust. ill most likely be doing the por-15 tank liner possibly over the winter while im home for break.

You dont need no liner. that thing looks great. If she aint leaking...Dont fix it. I filled mine w gravel, tossed it in the clothes dryer (NO HEAT) for an hour. Been running it for 3 years. Right now, Mine looks about like your before pic minus the loose crap. threw the crap ass inline filters in the trash after first year. Nothing but the screens on the tap the past 2 years. Hasnt clogged at all.

good to hear trek, how do you replace the filters on the petcock? mines kinda gummed up and id like to atleast get it out to clean it but i dont want to break it. i have the inline filters but id rather not use them to keep the lines simpler.

The original stock petcock has the screen on the reserve tube. it was torn so I got a new petcock from ebay. it has a nice nylon screen on the reserve tube. Also, just like the stock one. it has the brass screen inside the cleanout bowl on the bottom of the petcock.

I pulled one of the little magnets out of an old hard drive. snapped it in half and placed it in the petcock bowl. To help catch particles. It works great. I remember I cleaned it off once since I placed it in there. Probably due for another cleaning now...whatever.

The new petcock was like $25 and its nice. I was pleasantly surprised. I half expected it to be chromed plastic. Its not.

Some guys place a second screen on the primary tube inside the tank. You should be able to get a small piece of brass fine filter screen at any hardware store. I havent done this yet.

Next on my to do list is to work on the brakes they both stick some and I do not want a lockup on the first test ride ( well... Ever actually!) I also need/want to check and clean the oil slinger/filter but have had some trouble finding the proper way to do it and heard if done wrong you can break it or have leaking issues.

Any help with the oil slinger would be appreciated

I have thought about putting the magnets in the carb bowls, but got to thinking the pins in the floats are steel. so they may stick to that and cause issues.

kagraves said:
Next on my to do list is to work on the brakes they both stick some and I do not want a lockup on the first test ride ( well... Ever actually!) I also need/want to check and clean the oil slinger/filter but have had some trouble finding the proper way to do it and heard if done wrong you can break it or have leaking issues.

Any help with the oil slinger would be appreciated

Yes. I believe my bike spent alot of its life on gravel roads cause it was packed, kinda like dry concrete mix, mixed w oil. taking the cover off is no big deal. you can do it on the bike. Just get a nice craftsman impact screw driver. ring pliers and if you want to remove the cup from the shaft you need one of those spanner socket things. When I did mine I was pissed off and impatient. I made a spanner from a socket w the cut off saw and grinder. It sucked but it worked. The store bought spanners are cheap enough and look nice. You could get it pretty darn clean without actually removing the cup from the shaft though. If you just take your time. and get inventive making little picks and scrapers from stuff you have laying around the shop. And a good flashlight.

Heres the post I made about it...just scroll down about halfway or so.

http://www.hondabrat.com/search?updated-max=2012-07-14T08:26:00-07:00&max-results=7

I dont know that this one is THE correct fit...Other guys here would know what size you need.

http://www.amazon.com/automotive/dp/B004N6XY6O

trek97 said:
I dont know that this one is THE correct fit...Other guys here would know what size you need.

http://www.amazon.com/automotive/dp/B004N6XY6O

I did a quick "search" . PM sonreir he can tell you what size.
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=44342.msg484179#msg484179

Back
Top Bottom