The 1978 Suzuki GS1000 Dunstall Cafe Rides Again!!

ohiocaferacer

Been Around the Block
Finally got my 1978 Suzuki GS1000(Skunk) back on the road!!
photo6.jpg

GS1000_9_23_13.jpg

Re: The Skunk Rides Again!!

I owned one of these, my friends called it the couch cause it's so roomy and comfortable to ride. These are actually bringing good $ in stock form. They can and surprise people how quick they are. It was an amazing bike. Good luck with it, they are a blast to ride...

Re: The Skunk Rides Again!!

Caswell tank liner held a full tank of gas all winter(8 months) with no issues. Had to pull carbs off to install jet kit and found no tank liner contaminants inside the carbs. Great product and will use again for future projects.

Installed a Dynajet kit. The bike is running open velocity stacks with open Kerker 4 into 1 exhaust. Here are the carb settings that are working for me:
Main jet - 142
Pilot jet - 17.5(stock)
Neddle jet - Dynajet needles set on 3rd grove from the top
Air Screw - 1 turn out
Fuel Screw - 1 turn out

The bike starts right up, smooth idle and takes no time to warm up(limited time on choke). Bikes pulls great from closed throttle to full, no stumbles or hesitation. The suspension and brakes upgrades were well worth the work. Front fender will soon be installed. This bike will get alot of use this summer!
image-1-4.jpg

Wow that is a cool looking GS! Are the fairings/cowl/exhaust/rearsets OEM on this bike? Was this a special racing edition or something?

Macbethpoe said:
Wow that is a cool looking GS! Are the fairings/cowl/exhaust/rearsets OEM on this bike? Was this a special racing edition or something?

No......done of that stuff you listed are OEM. All of those parts are original aftermarket parts from 1978. The original owner installed the majority of those parts when this bike was new.
This bike was rescued from a barn after sitting for 20+ years and I tried to maintain the original look of the bike, while updating a the suspension....brakes and tires. The fairing and rearsets are original Dunstall parts. The seat was an aftermarket race seat produced in Japan "Zero" and i've only ever seen one other bike with this seat. The bike also has a Kerker 4 into 1 exhaust and original Yoshimura shocks.

What a killer bike! Just saw this on craigslist, and found this thread in the first page of "Dunstall GS1000" search results on google. Too bad you have to sell it, that is an incredible bike, and your suspension mods make it even more awesome.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/4722573329.html

Bump! Can we all please go back and fix our own pic links, please? Gotta find new hosting, 'cause the Botophucket ransom isn't going away anytime soon - And THEN we've gotta go back through our posts of our own bikes & revise the posted links themselves....

'Cause what a let-down when this bike sounds so awesome!

-S.

Back
Top Bottom