CL175 sporty-resto

Well, I pulled the tank off to prep for paint. Might as well since this is going to be down for a while. Also did some polishing, and ordered some new clutch plates as these are pretty worn out. Nothing too crazy. Still putting off cracking the engine open to replace the gasket, even though I really shouldn't put it off any more.

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk

Also, at this point if I can't find the kick starter guts when the side cover is ready to go back on, ill just leave it an empty shaft. Its not like the bike isn't light enough to push start easily if the battery is dead (or the starter takes a dump)

I regularly delete the entire kick start assembly from any bike with electric start. Just as the manufacturers have now done.

DohcBikes said:
I regularly delete the entire kick start assembly from any bike with electric start. Just as the manufacturers have now done.

I dunno, I kinda like having it. Especially on a little bike like this.

Annnnnnnd, I feel like an idiot. Upon closer inspection, the kickstart is all there, its just missing the return spring... That'll teach me to just assume by a glance!

On a little bike? Does that make a difference on the need for a kicker? Hmm. Well, not in my book I guess. Smaller bikes are really easy to push start, and inline 4's are really easy to kickstart.

Glad you found your parts.

time for a small update.

Nothing too new, just painting and polishing still

IMAG0383_zpsxhvcwnw1.jpg

I polished the knob on my dipstick... heh heh...

IMAG0384_zpsft4bllzx.jpg

Shiny!

IMAG0385_zpsyspdnnpo.jpg

Thats the old oil seal in there, it was also taped up, so no worries about paint getting in there

Tank is primered, and the knee pads have arrived. Just waiting on sanding and a relatively warm day to knock out the tank.

The engine is finally out as well. I was thinking about taking the whole bike down and repainting the frame as a metallic blue, but I think I'll hold off on that for now. Maybe something for further down the road

Fortunately those little motors are easy to work on. If you don't have a service manual, grab one. There are downloads on line but I find old school printed copies easy to work with and to read.

Well, went to clear coat the tank today. Like an idiot I painted it the wrong shade of silver... Sigh...

Top end is off, and I know why the gasket is leaking. The previous owner did not clean the gasket mating surface area all the way. Seriously, there's still whole chunks of gasket on there. The brand new gasket is SOAKED in oil. Im glad its so obvious what the problem is.

However, I did the one thing I was trying desperately not to do. While holding the master link for the timing chain in my left hand, I started to loop some welding wire through the chain so it wouldn't fall into the engine. Well, the left side of the chain started to fall, and I went to catch it... with my left hand. So, now the chain AND the master link are down in the engine... DOH!

I'm off to grab a long magnet and see if I can go fishing. Wish me luck!

Successfully fished out what I needed!

While others were out prepping for the festivities of new years eve, I was home painting and polishing.

First up, restoring the badges:

IMAG0405_zpsgdn9racg.jpg

I cant find the other side cover badge :( Also, im not sure how that ripple got there, but im not going to worry about it.

Second up, the tappet covers:

IMAG0406_zpsocnbtkiu.jpg

Ones polished, the other is not. Super crappy picture of the polishing job, it looks better in real life. Oh, and thats the reflection of the trees, not smudges.

I also painted the cylinders, and head, but i didnt get any before and after pics.

Back
Top Bottom