Out in a field Build ... XS 500 The Sock Monkey ( Finished pics ,video, )

Re: Out in a field Build ....

Well been saving $$ for some parts so just been messing around with some small stuff. been thinkin on how i would mount the speedo onto the front. going to use the stock speedo only . think im going to mount it under the top tree with a plate just need to tap the top clamp hole all the way tho. then make some small spacers and run a longer bolt to mount it. may need some rubber inbetween to kill some of the vibs . so this is where im at ( prototype )......
speedo1.jpg
speedo.jpg

Did lil more work on the speedo set up and the plate made ( prototype 2 ) . got it mounted where i want it and just need to make it out of lil stiff gauge and put some rubber mounting. what i did was threaded the top two holes underside of the tree then ran short allthreat with a nut as a stop point. ended up working out good ....
almost.jpg
most.jpg

how it looks from the cockpit ...
almost2.jpg

Nice, man. I just did one the other day too. What gauge did you use?

The parts i used was stuff i had laying around the shop. the main hanger on the tree is from a trip/speedoset up off my XC bike and the small braket is i believe 10 gauge. but needs cleaning up and this ones just a prototype. as it sits the speedo will shake it self apart. so now that i know it will work and is placed right ill make one that is all one piece and out of a more stiffer gauge.

Nice approach. I wanted mine to sit inside the mount. For that I need to make the brace lower. I think I might bend some stock up. How would you cut your thicker gauge, snips, or do you have a band saw etc?

Band saw would be the way to go ! and i dont have one yet lol so i used a cutoff wheel and a grinder. i have a customer that has helped me with somethings like the tuning forks and gusets on a dyno torch cutting table . and now that i have a working set up ill take it to him and have him cut me a nice clean one piece plate out of something lil thicker. might talk him into making a few more and see if anyone on DTT for XSs . ill let everyone know !

How well is the speedo cable going to clear the center of the headlight?

I just throw on my stock speedo cable and looks like no problems. im still looking for ears and a good light and bucket but should be good to go. only thing i see is the cable need shortend because i put clip-ons on and droped the forks about 1 1/2 . think if im carefull i might be able to cut mine down to where i need it.
cable.jpg

Stop over at a friends house over the weekend and picked up a front and back masters. there in working order just need a good cleaning and some paint . which is good , just one more thing off my list of needs. these are off a early gsxr and only thing is needed is redo my mounting point for the rear and make a lil hanger off my clip-ons for the front . going today over to a friends to make my new mount for the speedo and taalk about a few other things that i need to make.....
frontstop.jpg
master.jpg

Got the final plate done today , mounted rubber gromlets. started to work on the rear master also need to figure how to mount it so dont get any binding ....
5765.jpg
6656.jpg
234.jpg

Been messing around with the front fender and want to have more of a racing feel for it. so after brain storming a lil i trimmed off a lil from the front and the back...
989.jpg

after that was looking at the speedo and just didnt like it sticking up there by itself. wanted a small cowl or something.so what i did was take the back part of the fender that i cut off and cleaned it up and make some brackets for it. then mounted it for a small cowl . then shaped it to match the headlight curve. not finished with it but what i was looking for lil more racing feel...
43434.jpg

564.jpg

Great idea with the fender/cowl! Can't say I've seen that before. Fender definitely looks better trimmed down. did you lower it too?

thanks ! yep lower it about 1/2 inch or so , so it would hug the tire lil more . still messing with the cowl to get it just right.was thinking of mounting it to the headlight bucket but didnt like how that looked so just mounted it to the speedo mount i made. just one of those things that work out perfect !

Back
Top Bottom