1977 Yamaha XS750 Cafe Rebuild

Moto Noob

I have no clue what I am doing...
After 5 years of saving change in a giant jar... I have finally cashed it all in and bought a 1977 XS 750! The bike kicks and moves, just not well. Over the next few months I plan on stripping the entire bike and giving it more of a cafe look. This is my first bike build so any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated. I have written out a few plans below. Keep in mind that I have absolutely no idea what I am doing.

To Do List:
- new filters
- change spark plugs
- chop all unwanted brackets
- chop and weld on new seat bar
- re-wire bike with hidden battery
- clean carburetor
- new seat pan
- fiberglass cafe seat
- upholster seat
- paint frame
- mount exhaust
- fix automatic start and mount
- change oil
- mount tail light and headlight
- simplified gauge cluster
- wrap exhaust
- paint rims
- new "larger" tires <--- need suggestions
- add bolt on handle bars
- cut and mount front fender
- paint tank, seat, and accessories
- licence plate mount
- replace oil filter bolt
- adjust carbs <--- might have to take to a shop
- re-run throttle cable
- mount throttle

Update: Started completely stripping the bike. The engine has been rebuilt but the wiring is absolutely horrible, I call it Frankenstein wiring. I have a feeling I am going to have to rewire the entire bike. Other than that, frame is in really good condition and it all seems to be coming apart very easy.

On a side note... I cannot decide on handlebars bolted onto the actual forks or a solid cafe style to replace the stock bar.

Two things: First, the 'presto change-o' from jug of coins to motorcycle is a great way to open a thread. Nice work.

Second - does it run?

Nice dedication to saving change to pick up something that you've always wanted.

I myself am also new to this whole scene and have been struggling to decide between clip-ons or clubmans. I'm personally leaning more towards clip-ons since they clean up the front end a bit more and you can better adjust the angle to your liking. The biggest downfalls I see of them are cost and chance of smacking the gas tank.

Rich Ard said:
Two things: First, the 'presto change-o' from jug of coins to motorcycle is a great way to open a thread. Nice work.

Second - does it run?

Yea, it kicks and starts up pretty good. But it has issues when it comes to staying running. After I get it running and drive it around a bit it starts to stall and cut off easier and easier the longer I have it running until it just wont start... almost like it is flooded. I think the problem is the carburetor being gunked up and the engine not having enough compression due to not having a muffler... but those are just guesses.

mrjoshzombie said:
Nice dedication to saving change to pick up something that you've always wanted.

I myself am also new to this whole scene and have been struggling to decide between clip-ons or clubmans. I'm personally leaning more towards clip-ons since they clean up the front end a bit more and you can better adjust the angle to your liking. The biggest downfalls I see of them are cost and chance of smacking the gas tank.

I definitely agree, they make the bike look so much more clean, but I have always wondered if there are safety issues? Like what are the odds of one of those suckers coming loose? But I do agree, I am leaning more towards bolt ons.

I've been weighing for the past two weeks (when I first picked up the bike) how exactly to go about my build. After spending way too much time on these forums lurking, I decided to take the "old timers" advice.

Don't put a penny into anything extra until you have that engine running 100%. If it's having ANY issues, sort those out first, then figure out appearance. Just a suggestion. :)

mrjoshzombie said:
I've been weighing for the past two weeks (when I first picked up the bike) how exactly to go about my build. After spending way too much time on these forums lurking, I decided to take the "old timers" advice.

Don't put a penny into anything extra until you have that engine running 100%. If it's having ANY issues, sort those out first, then figure out appearance. Just a suggestion. :)

Yea, it sucks that I cant ride it for a month or so, but I guess rewiring the thing is top priority. Then I will focus on cleaning the carbs and getting an exhaust. Thanks!

this is looking good so far...what a great launching pad! Listen to Rich too...he knows his stuff, even if he is a little short on words ;)

Zookrocker said:
this is looking good so far...what a great launching pad! Listen to Rich too...he knows his stuff, even if he is a little short on words ;)

thanks man! everybody here seems really cool. It sounds like I found a place to answer all my bike questions! thanks again.

Zookrocker said:

Yep

Seriously though, just take everybody's advice as far as making sure it runs first, and runs well. "Finishing" is just that - and it's a lot harder to do the nuts and bolts stuff after everything is pretty.

Moto Noob said:
thanks man! everybody here seems really cool. It sounds like I found a place to answer all my bike questions! thanks again.

everybody here is really cool....this is far and away the best site of it's kind I've ever seen

Update: I almost have the bike completely stripped, the wiring is horrible so I will probably have to spend a day sorting that mess out. Taking some time to really clean the bike up though. Other bad news is that the carbs are not in the best shape. The float pin is bent a little bit, rail is missing a screw, and they don't look like they are adjusted that well. I am going to clean them and give them a try but will probably end up buying a new set. Carbs suck.

Update: Found out that 2/3 of my fuel pins in my carbs are jammed and snapped off in the holes while cleaning them... sweet mother of God that sucks. So now I had to carry those suckers down to a machine shop and see if there is any chance of drilling them out. If I am lucky, all I will have to do is buy new carb kits... ...So while I wait on that, I decided to clean this mofo... starting with the shocks.

Before and After... holy crap.

Great progress so far my man! Very impressive and I loved the way you opened your post =).

I did a partial restore of a 78 xs750 and I know those carbs can be a bear. I had pins snapped off in mine as well and I tapped and drilled them out myself and did the Pinesol dip on the carbs, got 3 repair kits and bang that thing was solid. These bikes can be a touch top heavy.

I also own an 80/81 Kawa Kz440 that is cafe'd and I can say clip ons are the way to go. Just set them up so that when you turn your bike fully left or right, it is stopping itself and not using your handlebars (or hands!). Most necks on bikes have pre-fabbed "stoppers" that stop if from going too far left or right. Yes there's a more technical term for this but I'm sick and tired and excited for you to be doing this.

Good luck!

Spitfire151 said:
Great progress so far my man! Very impressive and I loved the way you opened your post =).

I did a partial restore of a 78 xs750 and I know those carbs can be a bear. I had pins snapped off in mine as well and I tapped and drilled them out myself and did the Pinesol dip on the carbs, got 3 repair kits and bang that thing was solid. These bikes can be a touch top heavy.

I also own an 80/81 Kawa Kz440 that is cafe'd and I can say clip ons are the way to go. Just set them up so that when you turn your bike fully left or right, it is stopping itself and not using your handlebars (or hands!). Most necks on bikes have pre-fabbed "stoppers" that stop if from going too far left or right. Yes there's a more technical term for this but I'm sick and tired and excited for you to be doing this.

Good luck!

finally found somebody who has had the same carb problems as me! I though I was the only one... yea, I dropped them off at a buddys machine shop yesterday so hopefully he can drill them out. And I actually just ordered the clip ons. I am pumped about this bike, the only thing that has me worried is the electrical... I am going to have to rewire the whole thing. thanks again and hopefully I will put some more pics up this weekend.

Update: Finally got my bolt on handle bars, had to modify the lighting mount so it would all fit but I think they look really good. Put everything on the bar just to see how it fits. They definitely still need adjustment.

Back
Top Bottom