1972 Yamaha R5

i'm most likely going to drop in the 6 speed

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
[/quote]
Tell me more....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a few more pictures. There's been a couple signs of this bike never being ridden after it was built, the rear disk doesn't even have any scuffs on it! Last night i recruited the girlfriend to polish the frame and it cleaned up really good also

6bff38279b8705584673bc8bc86ac4f3.jpg
0403792679d8074332071a190e63ba57.jpg
fa917a985ddb259f362d8b15e20e4b2a.jpg

I've made quite a bit of progress the past couple days. Stripped carbs of the black paint and got them cleaned up gorgeous by blasting them at low pressure with walnut shells. Wheels went out yesterday to get tires put on them. The biggest pain right now is getting the brakes setup correctly and working, which i'm thinking is the reason why this bike was never put on the road. I machined a floating bracket for the front end and machined the rotor to give me some more clearance on the fork leg. All that needs now is a line made up. The rear is going to be a treat, i need to make the caliper float and make sure i can get it to bleed and hold pressure with the master below the caliper. But on a good note it fired right up tonight! Had great compression and sounds really stout. If all goes as planned with a couple late nights it might make its first trip down the road this weekend. Things are looking good to have it on the road for the Brewtown Rumble and Rockerbox!

I worry about your crank man, I know it fired right up but no way 30 year old crank seals are going last very long. I wouldn't run it without taking that motor apart and replacing them.

It will save you $$$ and possibly your 40yr old motor

If you have the seals and gaskets on hand, you can remove motor, strip and rebuild it in an evening and get it back in the frame in time for final call for race 3. and that included a three hour drive in each direction and some sleep. Point is that they are really simple motors to strip and rebuild and do not have to become a major project.

I've done crank seals on multiple motors before and know they're not a big project. I just wanted to get the brakes figured out first since that has been the biggest problem so far and has required reconfiguring everything. That should all be done this weekend and then onto the seals

It's been awhile since i posted any progress. I finally got the bike all back together after a couple shake down rides and rode it for the first time this weekend. I still need to do some small things, front brake pressure switch for the brake lights, some safety wiring, and redo the sketchy glass fuse block. But the bike runs awesome, and rides nice and tight. Super excited to get it out and show it off!
eec44af0ea12b9ddd8a9453bfbed826e.jpg

Back
Top Bottom