Lupo Di Mare (1976 xs360 build) (Toronto)

Wow, all looking great and clean, especially the engine. I've got to start on my engine and I'm not looking forward to it. Don't mind the mechanics, it's the bloody disgusting state its in that's the problem.

shamus said:
My swinger bushings came in friday after a 2 month wait, so I now have a roller.

Got my headers and SS mufflers in place. Damn, those mufflers are pretty.

The pipe wrap isn't long for this world, but I needed an immediate alternative to my pastel pink headers. A friend had some extra laying around, so i threw it on there. When I get my shop up and running next year, I'll fab up some SS headers to tie into the mufflers.

That is my favorite style of exhaust. I'd leave the wrap and I love those muffs...

redwillissuperman said:
Did you keep the center stand?

The bike was actually missing the centre stand when I got it, which was ok because I was going to remove it regardless.

There is a type of superglue overhere that i think might work, it´s suppose to "be like metall" and since it´s probably from the US you should be abel to get it in Canada. Maybe that´s what JB Weld is?

shamus said:
Also, possibly the strangest way I've ever received a package.

8026964573_ca2d180298_z.jpg

this made me laugh my arse off for some reason. :)

Anyways, i like your build so far! aside from that crack, looks like it was going smoothly. Can I ask what you are doing with the jade? I do a lot of lapidary and jewelry work so that was particularly interesting to me.

mono said:
Anyways, i like your build so far! aside from that crack, looks like it was going smoothly. Can I ask what you are doing with the jade? I do a lot of lapidary and jewelry work so that was particularly interesting to me.

Sorted out the crack, so I have that going for me. You do lapidary work eh? Then maybe you can give me some tips. The plan was to cut the jade into discs and put one disc on each grip. Like an inlay. But I'm having a very difficult time cutting it. Used all kinds of wheels on my dremel including a stone cutting disc, but since it's battery powered I just don't think it has enough gusto to get through it. I unfortunately might ditch the idea if i can't get the discs cut out. Any thoughts?

oh, get it now! yeah, jade is a very hard stone. if you're trying to cut discs similar to your leather ones, it would take a lot of work, especially for an inside cut. i'm thinking that this would work as long as you put a rubber spacer between the inside of the jade discs and the handlebar itself, and made sure it wasn't a tight fit.

The Dremel will work, but isn't going to be easy, and you'll want diamond bits, etc... and you'll need to wet-cut the stone. UGH i feel bad for you because it would take you forever... :-\ PM me if you like and we can figure something out if you'd like me to cut them for you.

**edit - i was looking at the slab of jade again. is there enough space on it to cut out your discs without one of the cracks getting in the way? the stone would definitely split along those cracks, sooner or later -- usually sooner/during cutting.

mono said:
oh, get it now! yeah, jade is a very hard stone. if you're trying to cut discs similar to your leather ones, it would take a lot of work, especially for an inside cut. i'm thinking that this would work as long as you put a rubber spacer between the inside of the jade discs and the handlebar itself, and made sure it wasn't a tight fit.

The Dremel will work, but isn't going to be easy, and you'll want diamond bits, etc... and you'll need to wet-cut the stone. UGH i feel bad for you because it would take you forever... :-\ PM me if you like and we can figure something out if you'd like me to cut them for you.

**edit - i was looking at the slab of jade again. is there enough space on it to cut out your discs without one of the cracks getting in the way? the stone would definitely split along those cracks, sooner or later -- usually sooner/during cutting.

I appreciate the advice and the offer to help man! I think I'm just going to chalk this one up to a failed attempt. Haha. Besides, I'm still going to try and make the leather grips as I think they can hold their own.

What about a diamond hole saw, drill press, water/oil to cool it? Then a smaller holesaw for the inside? well cut the smaller hole first. I think Princess auto has them relatively cheap.

Okay pals, small update. I wanted to to tint my headlamp lens but not so much that it would have an effect on running colour, as I would be pulled over more than I would like. So I figured photography gels would help me achieve this.

Went to open my headlight and I discovered that it was sealed. After looking for some time on the net for unsealed options, I came up short. This is due to sealed lamps being law in most places. I didn't have a heat gun and I'm impatient so I crossed my fingers and threw it in the oven.

8339864448_0824ed53be_z.jpg

Which actually worked really well.

8339863764_bd2fd82a6a_z.jpg

Figured I'd heat test the light, which is probably overly cautious as they are intended for studio lights.

8338806419_8c6fdc82fc_z.jpg

Gel'd and re-sealed, here she is.

8338805971_53c198ce74_z.jpg

So my thread died for a bit, as flickr deleted my account. I've re uploaded most of the pictures to bring it back to life. Lots of work has been done since I last posted, and I'm still on track to have the build done well before spring.

Went up north over the weekend and was able to get my tank primed. It was an interesting situation, as it was in a barn, -10 degrees out, and had nothing sheltering us from the elements other than some vapour barrier. So, put a BBQ in the paint booth and crossed my fingers. It actually cured really nicely. Paint to follow, hopefully this weekend.

8338829023_ea0d24a756_z.jpg

It's good to be back.

8338915137_4efaee4d7e.jpg

Back
Top Bottom