Gearing, colour and a couple more questions.

Allaster3

Hello again

Firstly what sprockets is everyone running front and back with the 150cc bore. I don't plan to put the head on as I think the difference with this will be minimal.

I plan to shave my frame shortly and was wondering if anyone knows what paint code the red frame is to touch up on completion.

Long term I'm going to have to mod the frame and powder coat it black to go with the colour scheme I have in mind. The red has no way of going with the other colours I've chosen.

Does anyone know who is good to make a leather tank strap in the UK? Also recover my seat when I've re shaped the rear pod and painted it. I need a classic dark brown tan look to match in with the colours of tank etc.

Has anyone managed to fit a slightly wider rear wheel on.

Has anyone moved the rear mud guard further to the back in stead of simply removing it.

Has anyone removed the front sponge forks for a replacement if so which ones have you used. Mine are worse than s#!+e.

Has anyone's paint started to wrinkle and peel around the fuel filler cap I only noticed mine tonight after a quickie round the block.

Anyway I'm going to head off before you all get sick of my questions lol

Thanks in advance

Allaster

Firstly what sprockets is everyone running front and back with the 150cc bore. I don't plan to put the head on as I think the difference with this will be minimal.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1USvziYIyzfyxfZA1YYpQf9eP4djb0GLWbvWcmME88Gk/edit#gid=218053251

I plan to shave my frame shortly and was wondering if anyone knows what paint code the red frame is to touch up on completion.

VW Mars red is the closest that some Ace owners found

Has anyone removed the front sponge forks for a replacement if so which ones have you used. Mine are worse than s#!+e.

Not removed but stiffened, see spacer details on this page...
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43357.1620

Cheers
Richard

Allaster3 said:
what sprockets is everyone running front and back with the 150cc bore …

My bike has 17/35 and will do 100-110 kph (no uphills or headwinds!)

With hindsight, maybe a tooth or two bigger at the rear would give marginally better acceleration.

Crazy

Hmmm thats what i waa wondering about crazy im tempted with 17/33t.

Tempted with a play this afternoon for a couple of hours which reminded me it starts getting a bit scary at about 60mph (im seriously contemplating a steering damper) and i think the additional torque would be a bit more useful than top end.

Id of never looked at vw mars red. Went through all subarus since the impreza silver is about perfect for a match.

As with preloading springs like that im a bit iffy about it the brave part of me thinks f₪©k it ill try anything twice (once just to make sure) then the engineer in me thinks there must be something else... Anyway im leaning to the former right now lol.

Has anyone fitted a steering damper for road use and if so did it help with the flapping / slapping at speeds around 60-70? Mine feels so close to slapping it off me at those speeds.

Thanks for your help

Allaster

A 33 tooth sprocket is probably too small; it would give a theoretical higher top speed but it would kill acceleration.

A steering damper shouldn't be necessary but it sounds like you have a serious problem. Could you check that that front wheel is running true, not out of round, and balanced? It seems to be a likely cause. Also check that the fork legs are parallel and that the bottom triple clamp bolts have been properly tightened at the factory.

The fork pre-load works well, although some have found it difficult to remove the fork caps!

Crazy

I meant 37t.... Sorry about that lol.

Ive checked all but tyre and forks maybe next on the cards.

Its not getting the caps off im concerned i can get anything in bits its putting it back together after lol

Thanks Allaster

1fa3e498edc860402f2ea939a018ad46.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From an aprillia 125. Would highly recommend running one. I have to run for racing but ride on road with this. One of the best mods to the frame I have made. Bike unofficially does 140 kph and I would not ride it without one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry I havnt had a chance to reply have been ill for for the last week and a bit.

I've checked the head bearings rtf all to be ok so I'm going to pull the wheel and check to see if it's running true or not.

I like how you have added the damper and think I'm going to add one but want to cure the wobble as much as I can first instead of masking the issue.

I'll not get to change the cylinder head now till new year but I'm sure that it'll be straight forward enough.

Thanks for your help and I'll let you know how I get on

Allaster

yes its achristmas cheer to all.. half a day at work then I'll be wobbling like my bike... Hmmmm... Jingle bells

Don't expect to get too much done to the bike as I have 1991 SAAB 9000 Carlsson Turbo that's in need of some TLC. That to be honest is my priority the bike is a winter toy to play with in between to stop me getting in trouble (wifey gets cross at me playing with some things) so I need to fill in my time with something else.

Wanting to show the Carly this year so it has to come first though I'll probably trailer bike and play while there.

I hope santas good to your toys like he is to mine lol

Allaster

Back
Top Bottom