Brodie's XV1100

Re: "Vicious" Ugly Punx XV1100

Managed to get the fork seals changes out but was dragged out of the shed to go to dinner with the missus.

Going to try and get the cam timing check done tomorrow morning.

I need to buy more fork oil and a 17mm key to finish the legs again.

I have not had a chance to work on the bike due to extra work commitments. But I have been doing a bit of reading on my break.

Nanno, do you think an ignitec tic is a worthwhile upgrade. I love the idea of being able to reprogram the ignition and wish I could afford a C5 but they are well out of my budget considering the current value of the Aus $.

I have also been looking at a XV920 tank to replace mine as I like the shape and would like to be able to use the fuel meter function of my acewell.

I have asked one of the fitters at work to make some mounting plates for me so I can mount new pegs around where the swing arm pivot is. I will use the passenger peg mount points for the plates.

The ignitech is pretty awesome, it helped me a lot with my TR1 (not the turbo'ed one), to keep detonation and oil-temps at bay. So yes, definitely worth considering. You may also consider a coil-on-plug conversion (see my blog for details and suitable coils), I currently run Bandit 1250 plugs and they are really, really sweet. Especially as I've been riding a lot more in the rain, wet and cold than I wanted to in the last few weeks.

That being said, if your stock CDI isn't dead, I wouldn't necessarily replace it and go for a decent exhaust and proper roundslide carbs first, as the stock carbs REALLY kill power.

Hope this helps
Greg

Thanks mate, yeah new carbs are first on the list, followed by a 2-1 exhaust including new headers.

I have been eyeing off a pair of TM38 Mikuni, just need to put the dollars away now.

Stock TCI is still working as far as I can tell with these shot carbs. I will have a look at coil on plug as new coils were also on my list.

Thanks for the advice mate.

Hey Brodie, just realized I hadn't actually commented in here to get updates. I a doing a 750 and am wondering what you are doing for air filters? I haven't looked to much yet but we need to replace the airbox on the 750 as it got mangled, wondering if you have any research on what works.

Cheers

Maritime

Hey mate, I was planning on hooking up a mushroom style filter to the frame.

From what I have read the stock airbox works well if you drill a hole under the cover and use a k&n filter. I don't know where you are ment to drill though.

What do you need from the stock air box, I am not using mine.

Edit: I think the early XV750s have a very different airbox to the xv1100

Cool. I need to look, was thinking the k&n if the box is still usable. The guy who caused the cam seize issue drilled the ait box but didnt rejett so i can maybe use the box with a k&n and I just ordered 2 new mains to up the jetting.

Got 126 and 128 hitachi jets which is +2 abd +3 sizes up. PO already had a 124 in because he had after market pipes

Brodie said:
I will have a look at coil on plug as new coils were also on my list.
Thanks for the advice mate.

No big deal, might help (indirectly) with the carbs as well, as you may end up with a lot stronger spark.

Had a look at your blog Nanno, the 9 plate clutch conversion looks interesting. I also had a read on the jetting for your Daily TR1. How do the VM jet sizes compare to the TM?

Maritime, I have read about how painful the Hitachi carbs are to deal with. I have the later Mikuni BST carbs.

I have a friend at work who is making me some mount plates for the "rear sets" I was given. If everything works out I should have pegs mounted just below the swing arm pivot which means I will need a higher and further back seat. My plan was to take the original pan in to have it refoamed and shaped to what I am after. My only concern will be the amount of high density foam to get the seat to where I want it until I build a sub-subframe.

TM and VM jets would compare straight away, but this would mean that a TM38 and a VM38 are jetted exactly equally (same needle, needle-jet, but also slide-cutout and these are all different!)

There's a thread on ViragoTechForum though, where DGA outlines his TM jetting.

Cool. I know the hitachis will br a bit of a pain but I found proper jets abd can shim the needle with washers so hope to het it running well. If budget allows we nay swap out to better nechanical slide carbs and ditch the cv

Thanks Nanno, I will stop by there and have a look.

I have the "midset" plates majority finished. I just need to grind a few places to get a better fitment to the frame. My mate at work has done a nice job on them. Made from 6mm stainless plate, to my crappy design. I went for function over form. Half the right side will be hidden behind the muffler once I get my new exhaust sorted.

I am very excited for the future of this bike. But I think the heads may need to be rebuilt in the near future. There is an oil leak through the front exhaust. I am hoping this will go away as I run the bike a bit longer, but I am also aware the valve seals may be shot from sitting so long.

If the heads do come off I will be replacing the plain bearing for a roller bearing for sure.

Pictures of the plates soon, need sleep first. Has been a long week of night shifts and I am expecting a call out tonight.

If you have to do the heads anyway, have a look at Xv750 heads. They do have smaller valves, but the boost in compression is well worth it...

I will keep that in mind.

For now I am going to dump the oil and replace it, it only has 250km since the last change but the one before that was around 15 years ago. I cannot imagine the manner of crap that may have dislodged.

Hopefully that will give me a better idea about what is going on inside.

a858fc4ad234233ae238772c67e787f6.jpg

Here is the initial mock up of the left side peg.

Seems to work alright, just need to tweak the linkage rod a bit more.

The right side is going to be a bit more difficult as I need to find or make an actuator to fit the stock spindle the stock lever connects to.

Brodie said:
The right side is going to be a bit more difficult as I need to find or make an actuator to fit the stock spindle the stock lever connects to.

when I put forwards on my Honda 4 I had similar prob so I just got another stock brake pedal and cut it then attached the linkage rod to that, its easy cos it fits straight onto the spindle and can be attached at any angle that suits

I have decided to go down that route Spotty. Going to take the pedal into work tonight and cut and shape it there. Then it is only a matter of adding a small tab for the brake switch to work off.

I was looking at the part Cognito had but decided I was better off just making mods to mine. If I don't like the pegs or if I want to revert I will just use a linkage system instead of stock.

The seat has been stripped and I now have the old foam and cover sitting to the side, I will buy some new foam and shape a better seat for myself in a few days. Going away for the weekend so I won't be near the workshop.

My new fuel pump and fuse box arrived. The new pump moves a lot more fuel than the old one did so I am optimistic this is what was causing the lack of power at higher throttle openings. Although the new pump has 8mm fittings instead of the standard 6mm so I will need to make 2 adapters to suit. Just going to use brass barbs with a right angle fitting.

New bar risers have arrived and I have a set of old superbike bars I will clean up to use. Just need to get a fairing sorted and the speedo for the acewell and everything will come together in time.

Bloody weather. We are ment to get 500mm of rain in my area today with high winds, I am stuck at work and I know my shed will flood.

So I fitted 6mm-8mm adaptor barbs to sort out the fuel pump and have put the new bars on. Decided that I will order new ones as the current are just to pitted.

New air filter has been fitted and the tank will be going back on shortly. Just need to purchase the foam for the seat. A friend of mine has just started an upholstery business so I will speak to her about a cover.

Made the rear brake actuator this morning and have bought a heim joint to fit to it. Just need to make the rod and the rear sets will be done.

coming together nicely then

I had planned to take a week off to go up to my mates new place (with a huge shed/workshop) and finally build the Onda4 of my desires (ludicrously big ratty trail bike) but I've just found out that due to people leaving work/new people starting/people going on holidays i'm not likely to see those holidays for at least 2 months and probably 3........I haven't had any time off in 6 years and i'm knackered

mrs spottys mum lives on magnetic island and we haven't heard from her since Debbie hit, just hoping the comms are down temporarily

Back
Top Bottom