cb350 shock bolt snapped - just how screwed am I?

magikphun

Howdy Y'all.

So I began mycb350 project today. First mission? Remove the luggage rack.

Casualty report:

One snapped bolt that held the luggage rack on, and also the top end of the left hand shock unit.

What is the prognosis? How screwed am I!?

Here is an image...

OhCrapSnap.jpg

The luggage rack was bolted to the pin. When removing the rack, that bolt snapped right off.

Tell me this can be fixed....

Anything can be fixed. How is the stud for the shock mounted to the frame? Is it welded on or does it pass through the frame?

I'd think either a new stud could be welded to the frame, or you could possibly grind off the current stud, drill through the frame and put a bolt in place of the stud. Would depend on what the back surface of the frame section looks like - if it's nice and flat, then a bolt right through the frame and shock with a nut on the shock side (like before) and some lock washers should do the trick (and no welding needed).

I did this to studs on the drums of my 1976 Buick Skylark back in the day when removing a flat tire. The nut was seized to the stud and with enough torque (doesn't take much) you can twist the studs and they just break off.

It's hard to tell, but it looks like the stud goes through the bike and is welded into place.

Anyone ever see replacements?

Anyone ever replaced one?

Magikphun.

I know the temptation is to fix this cheap and by yourself, but I'd be taking it to a welder to have the old stud removed and a replacement put in.

yer lucky as fuck that happened when you were taking it apart and not when you were riding it.... rip the other one off and replace them....

Any decent motorcycle fab shop will be able to fix you up. They can drill that out and make a new piece to put in. You will have to shop around your area and find a shop.

Back
Top Bottom