76 750F - rear brakes stick

Kuyarico

Coast to Coast
I've checked the MC and it seems to be working properly. I pulled the brake pads last night and noticed that one of the pistons is somewhat seized. Has anyone worked on rear disc brakes on a 75 or 76 supersport? It look like I need to take the whole wheel off to get the rear caliper off. I'm just looking for general advice in doing this. I've never taken the rear wheel off.

Kuyarico said:
I've checked the MC and it seems to be working properly. I pulled the brake pads last night and noticed that one of the pistons is somewhat seized. Has anyone worked on rear disc brakes on a 75 or 76 supersport? It look like I need to take the whole wheel off to get the rear caliper off. I'm just looking for general advice in doing this. I've never taken the rear wheel off.

The caliper should come off without removing the wheel ??. If you have to remove the wheel its an easy job, just make sure you can get the rear end in the air enough so the tire clears the floor, remove the chain (it shoud have a master link), if not just slacken off the chain adjusters and push the wheel forward and you will be able to slide the chain off the sprocket. Loosen the rear axel and pull it out ... just remember where your wheel spacers go. You may need a spare set of hands when putting the wheel back in.

It also sounds like you may need a caliper rebuild kit ..... check the piston for wear or pitting ... and replace the o-rings (seal) if they have not been replaced in some time. Oh ya ... remember to install the masterlink clip in the rifgt direction when you re-install .... make sure the rounded edge of the clip follows the direction the chain is travelling :eek:

Good luck ... and have fun !! :D

Thanks for the advice. I tinkered with it last night and the entire caliper assembly is a large part attaches to the wheel. I was hoping not to have to take the wheel off to refurbish my caliper. Regarding the caliper rebuild kit, I went to buy one for my 550 last year and my parts guy advised me to disassemble and clean the caliper and piston rather than buying the kit. The brakes worked great after that.

As I remember, to remove caliper you need to remove rear wheel shaft partially. You don't need to remove chain - just make it loose and you can take out caliper, then push shaft back. Seals and pistons still can be purchased from Honda dealers. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom