• Left side.jpg
    Left side.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 373
  • Left side Girdraulics.jpg
    Left side Girdraulics.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 396
brt651 said:
Hello Again,
Firstly because I'm fitting a belt drive and secondly this was a modification done by the factory in around 1951 on the 500. I'm fitting a seal and I need a seal holder. The seal holders I have are the genuine style. But, I have a back to back Timken Taper bearings fitted to the left side of the crank. Originally it has a ball bearing outer most ( which controls crank end float) and the other three crankshaft bearings are roller type. I show the area in the photos, along with my drilling guide and seal holder. I'm not going to use this seal holder as I want it to place some pressure against the taper bearing cup and come outwards from the bearing as well. As I have more clearance with the belt drive than I would if I where to use the original chain primary drive. And since I have 2 engine with this set up I'll be getting 2 made.
And for those that notice the orange square outline. This is a marking that is stamped into the cases. To check that they are a matched set. Very hard to see. But this unique marking is in the 2 crank halfs,primary cover ,G2 cover. I don't know what the stamping means. Maybe the bloke that assembles the engine has his own stamp?
Well this is as far as I've got. I''ll get some more pics up as I get more done. Off to lap the pushrods in.
Cheers

brt651

Hi, Working on three Vincent engines in parallel? Impressive! Good work indeed.
I will also install a pair of taper roller bearings in my Black Shadow and will omit the outer circlip as I also have a Bob Newby belt to be fitted. Thought I could use the standard seal holder from VOC Spares. Did you make your own?

Did you put the taper roller bearings in O or X arrangement? Could you advice how you came up with the width of the two distance pieces between the two bearings to get the right side play?
/ Patrik

Some pretty impressive work! Again...I keep looking for the "like" button. ;)

buellingvincent said:
Hi, Working on three Vincent engines in parallel? Impressive! Good work indeed.
I will also install a pair of taper roller bearings in my Black Shadow and will omit the outer circlip as I also have a Bob Newby belt to be fitted. Thought I could use the standard seal holder from VOC Spares. Did you make your own?

Did you put the taper roller bearings in O or X arrangement? Could you advice how you came up with the width of the two distance pieces between the two bearings to get the right side play?
/ Patrik
Hello Patrik,
I used the VOC seal holder and had a tool for drilling and tapping made. Terry prince setup two engines with back to back taper bearings for me. He only lives 60 miles from my place.I believe Terry has fitted them in an X arrangement. Much the same as a Harley Davidson uses on the left side of the crank.
I have just finished lacing up the rear wheel and I bought a twin leading shoe front brake set up from France.
I'm trying to make a decision on what tires to fit. I"m thinking of the Race versions of the Avon AM26's. I know they wont last long, but I don't expect to ride them much.

Attachments

• rear wheel.jpg
    rear wheel.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 356
Hello T-A-F,
Both wheels are quickly detached , having a tommy bar for an axle. Easily removed by hand. The bike has two front side stands and one rear stand enabling the bike to be suspended off the ground when all three are used at once.
The rear wheel on this model has two sprockets of different sizes fitted. The idea was that when you entered the hills you would simply pull over put the bike on its stand,raise the rear third of the back mudguard as its hinged , detach the quick release brake arms,brake rods and remove the tommy axle. Reverse the wheel fit chain and adjust with the finger dial adjusters,brake rods and brake arms and off you go. While that seems easy it's assembling the wheels that is difficult. As the wheel has many parts that need assembling and eventually becomes a standalone part. I'll explain it later when I put it together and supply photos.
Thanks for your comment
Cheers

Hello Andrew,
I'm of a similar view. I'd like to see it finished also. I just ordered a Aluminium tank and with that I have everything now but time. I'm doing the head gasket on my daughters car at the moment. I guess we all have jobs to do outside of what we like doing.
Thank you for your comment
Cheers
Brian

Hello Everyone,
Thank you for dropping by.
I have been busy. I've assembled both wheels hubs etc. Assembled brakes and installed the wheels. I still have a lot to do.
Cut the rear guard to fit. Modify rear stay on front guard to fit around the 4LS brake set up.
The rear wheel and handle bars only went on this week. I've ordered fast action throttles. I"m going to buy Dellorto PHM 38 mm Carbs. The Alloy tank you see isn't the first tank I ordered. It arrived all nicely painted. But unfortunately they wrapped it before the clear was dry. Never mind. Another wall hanging. It didn't fit anyway. So I asked them to send me on unpainted and no brackets fitted tank. This is the tank your looking at.Beautifully made I believe. Especially the painted tank. But then again they only charged me $38 to paint it. And Yes they are Harley Drag bars. Please look around in the photos and I believe you will see more than I have said.
Cheers
Christmas is nearly here.
Brian

Attachments

• nov 4.jpg
    nov 4.jpg
    371.4 KB · Views: 313
  • nov 3.jpg
    nov 3.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 321
  • nov 2.jpg
    nov 2.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 305
  • nov 1.jpg
    nov 1.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 317
And some more

Attachments

• nov 5.jpg
    nov 5.jpg
    334.4 KB · Views: 329
  • nov 6.jpg
    nov 6.jpg
    356.7 KB · Views: 315
  • nov 7.jpg
    nov 7.jpg
    409.9 KB · Views: 324
  • nov 8.jpg
    nov 8.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 314
  • nov 9.jpg
    nov 9.jpg
    379.7 KB · Views: 318
Awe inspiring...wonderful to see this old gem coming back together!

brt651 said:
Hello,
Well I have the Bob Newby belt drive out and measuring for new distance spacers and a new seal holder. I've been in contact with my machinist and he is up to speed. So its all go ahead.
then I need to make a new primary cover. I have seen some out of fiberglass ,but they look a bit ordinary. It needs to be alloy and polished. Anyone have one?
Well that means back to the timing side to finish of the push rods.
Have a great week

Hi again brt651,
Have you fitted the primary cover yet over the Bob Newby belt drive? I just tried on my Black Shadow and failed even though I have machined away the wall between the clutch and the clutch sprocket.
I have posted my project on http://www.accessnorton.com/crankcase-repair-t24312.html
BR / Patrik

I'm sucked into this thread. Officially subscribed and overly excited to see this beauty come to life!

Back
Top Bottom