Building my own two-stroke "Mongrel" - Inspired by CharlieT & TedT

Re: Building my own two-stroke "Mongrel" - Inspired by CharlieT & TedT

540Nova said:
Or a satisfying, fun challenge. All in the mindset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My customers get all the optimism I have during the course of my real job... :) None left for myself ha

BillyGoat4130 said:
Thanks will definitely check them out!
He also has a fuse panel ciruit board called the FB 11 I used one to redo the wiring on my GL after my crash and it made it a lot easier to do. It might be a better solution to your wiring than a full on custom harness.

Could look great on your beast.
Really like the gap between seat and hoop

Woohoo! FINALLY got the seat mounts completed. In hind sight I'd have been better to whack off the entire sub frame and went from scratch by the time I cut everything off of it and did so much other stuff, but atleast it may still be recognizable to some people as the ATC250R Frame in some capacity this way also, ha.

cc0514bc533e8af090c74ece61dc4f94.jpg

I know everyone is probably sick of looking at this thing already, but I sat in the shop yesterday evening for 10 minutes just staring at it. I know its unconventional and a little out of the norm, but man, it makes me tingly ;D

Attachments

• Screenshot_4.jpg
    Screenshot_4.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 254

BillyGoat4130 said:
I know everyone is probably sick of looking at this thing already, but I sat in the shop yesterday evening for 10 minutes just staring at it. I know its unconventional and a little out of the norm, but man, it makes me tingly ;D
Oh no no no, I'm not sick of looking at it at all! Keep the pics rolling in man. Lovin this thing!

Mmm spanies, seen some works of art for RD engines, yours should have serious presence!

Thanks guys. I'm having a lot of fun building this thing so far. The pipe has been on my mind a lot lately since that is getting near the top of the next-to-do list as time moves on. I really, really, really want to run an underslung pipe but I just don't see how it is possible to do, even from a length perspective and not even diameter. I need about 53inches of length without a stinger tube and muffler even. If I snake the thing around the front of the frame and soak up a foot or better underneath the radiator and come back under the frame, that's still better than 3ft to put somewhere...lol.

I'm also trying to decide if I want to go ahead and bite the bullet for tires, as I am going to have to have those to do clearances for the pipe and also would really prefer to have them on when I start trying to lay out my pegs and controls so that everything is at a finalized ride height and stance. Tire wise, I *really* like the micheline pilot powers I have on my SV650, but they're $$$. I don't know if A: I'd ride this bike enough to justify those or B: There really is a significant amount of difference between those and say cheap Shinkos that justify the price difference in them. I don't have too much experience with different tires and compounds on bikes, so I am kind of trying to decide what direction to go on that also.

BillyGoat4130 said:
Thanks guys. I'm having a lot of fun building this thing so far. The pipe has been on my mind a lot lately since that is getting near the top of the next-to-do list as time moves on. I really, really, really want to run an underslung pipe but I just don't see how it is possible to do, even from a length perspective and not even diameter. I need about 53inches of length without a stinger tube and muffler even. If I snake the thing around the front of the frame and soak up a foot or better underneath the radiator and come back under the frame, that's still better than 3ft to put somewhere...lol.

I'm also trying to decide if I want to go ahead and bite the bullet for tires, as I am going to have to have those to do clearances for the pipe and also would really prefer to have them on when I start trying to lay out my pegs and controls so that everything is at a finalized ride height and stance. Tire wise, I *really* like the micheline pilot powers I have on my SV650, but they're $$$. I don't know if A: I'd ride this bike enough to justify those or B: There really is a significant amount of difference between those and say cheap Shinkos that justify the price difference in them. I don't have too much experience with different tires and compounds on bikes, so I am kind of trying to decide what direction to go on that also.

I am looking forward to seeing how you finish this baby.

Are you expecting predictable power delivery and traction from the mongrel... ;)
As it will be more like riding a box of frogs (a compliment not insult) I would think cheaper tyres might be ok!

Alex jb said:
Are you expecting predictable power delivery and traction from the mongrel... ;)
As it will be more like riding a box of frogs (a compliment not insult) I would think cheaper tyres might be ok!

I was almost thinking that was the exact reason I would need a bit better more expensive (ie grippy) tires, although the Shinkos seem to have good reviews all around also.

Mate, sick build, really loving the progress. I have to agree with this comment below though. Have you decided anything with that? It looks like you easily have the skills to pull it off. I see others have suggested trying to create a fake visual line by masking and painting the bottom of the tank so it appears to meet and match the seat. I think thats a cop out, but just imho.

Side note, that expansion chamber is the tits!

johnu said:
Billy I love this build, it's gonna look sweet! However if it were me I would have to trim the bottom protrusion from the tank sides and also lower the rear mounting slightly to drop it down a touch at the back. I think it would look better with your seat that way just mho tho.

JadusMotorcycleParts said:
Mate, sick build, really loving the progress. I have to agree with this comment below though. Have you decided anything with that? It looks like you easily have the skills to pull it off. I see others have suggested trying to create a fake visual line by masking and painting the bottom of the tank so it appears to meet and match the seat. I think thats a cop out, but just imho.

Side note, that expansion chamber is the tits!
Hey there, thanks! As far as the back of the tank, at this junction I haven't really. I've been focusing more on getting it functional so far. I think that's something I may come back and do. I watched a pretty cool video on YouTube of a guy doing a similar mod on a cruiser tank and then leading over the whole thing. Turned out really nice. My tank also is kind of questionable from a rust stand point. Even after all the work (tunnel, cut off original mount and make a new one on the back) I haven't reserved myself to not maybe using a better shape ascot tank eventually also. Basically my main focus and plan of attack right now is to get the thing rideable and functional, even if it looks mad max. I've built other bikes in the past and for me personally if I can't get the thing to a point where It can put wind in my face I get awfully demotivated working on and tossing money and time into something. If it's ugly but runs and rides, then I got a motivator to keep tweaking and working on it :)

I've not ever been great at really making things look good though either, my friends give me a lot of shit for having beat up machines but they usually run and ride good, just my style I guess. I do agree that a fill in there would make a big difference.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

redwillissuperman said:
You sure 53-inches is correct?

198 degrees (with Power valve wide open)
x

= 336,600

336,600 / 6500 = 51.78

And note that "Lt" in the second diagram is the "Tuned Length" which is the point in which the wave reflects back, but is not to the complete end of the convergence cone. But, Lt also is measured from the face of the piston, so between the length in the exhaust port and flange, you could probably shave off about 3 inches, which would get you close to evening back out to the end of the convergence cone. But still no stinger tube or muffler.

In the 3rd screenshot is from the old 2 Stroke Pipe Wizard program I used initially for the pipe I already built, but I had it set for 7500rpm and thus the pipe is a little bit shorter. You'll work out 1306mm tuned length to be about 51.5inches. I wish that program worked with windows 10, it'd make my life a lot easier but I have now done all the math with a calculator (and a friend, ha!)

Attachments

• Screenshot_5.jpg
    Screenshot_5.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 279
  • Screenshot_6.jpg
    Screenshot_6.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 840
  • Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    455.7 KB · Views: 293
  • Screenshot_6.jpg
    Screenshot_6.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 903
  • 17359323_10155759392674237_8568189798522875627_o.jpg
    17359323_10155759392674237_8568189798522875627_o.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 272

BillyGoat4130 said:
I've not ever been great at really making things look good though either, my friends give me a lot of shit for having beat up machines but they usually run and ride good, just my style I guess.

Thats a style in of itself man! Totally understand with the motivation and having something functional. Really helps a lot :)

That may be an over simplification since the soundwave speed is a function of the exhaust temperature. You may just want to double check here:

http://3cyl.com/mraxl/manuals/chamberdesign/2003exhaust.pdf

redwillissuperman said:
That may be an over simplification since the soundwave speed is a function of the exhaust temperature. You may just want to double check here:

http://3cyl.com/mraxl/manuals/chamberdesign/2003exhaust.pdf

Never saw that book before, will take a look. I based my new dimensions and parameters on Gordon Jenning's old book. While old, Its still a great resource and his formula while not nearly as complex as something like Blairs has produced a good number of pipes. The 1700 figure for sound wave speed is based on gas - obviously different speeds for different fuels. Will definitely take a look at this though!

Back
Top Bottom