Riding in the upper Northwest

pjams

The wife and I are looking around the country for places to live as we want badly to get out of the midwest because this is where we've always been. The Oregon/Washington area has always been a favorite of ours but I was wanting some input from you guys who live up in that area (or in the north period) and what it's like to own bikes there. I guess I have no idea what it's like to be riding in such a climate and I've always said I'd have to be able to ride at least 60% of the year before I moved anywhere. You guys have much of a problem getting much riding in? What kind of gear do you have to help with colder/rainy climates?

I know folks who ride year round. Rain gear is a must for the winter months, which starts in mid October and ends mid May. You can usually starting picking out a few "nice" days as early as January and late into November, though.

We don't usually get too much snow or ice in my area of Oregon, so that's kinda nice.

Eastern Oregon is all high desert, though. Not much rain, but it does get pretty darn cold.

I'm more of a fair weather rider, myself. Just the usual assortment of leathers, but I do keep a pair of winter gloves for the days when the temps dip below 50 and I still want to ride.

Back
Top Bottom