'64 CB77 Project

groundpounder66

Hey all!
Longtime reader, fairly new member.
I recently got ahold of this old '64 CB77. It was practically free, so I thought to myself "why not".
It's been sitting in a garage for about 30 years. Has 6,000 miles on it. All the bolts on the engine and frame seem to be loose. Makes me worried someone went for a restoration, lost interest or found out it wasn't worth it and slapped it back together to get rid of it. Engine is dry, I already know that the cylinders need honing, and the carbs are completely shot. I've prepped the tank for electrolysis rust removal methods.
I've also started on cosmetic work, mostly for the motivation to get all the other stuff done. Paint's been stripped, and I've sprayed self-etching primer on everything.
I'm not really going for a restoration. As a beginner to bike work (auto mechanic by trade) I'm just trying to get her to run. Eventually I'd like to turn this into my touring bike.
Thoughts? Suggestions?

Here's what I've got (and done) so far:

Attachments

• WP_000473.jpg
    WP_000473.jpg
    759.4 KB · Views: 266
  • WP_000480.jpg
    WP_000480.jpg
    651.2 KB · Views: 276
  • WP_000519.jpg
    WP_000519.jpg
    446 KB · Views: 267
  • WP_000554.jpg
    WP_000554.jpg
    680.8 KB · Views: 265
Interesting starting point, I have its Scrambler little brother, a CL72. Become very familiar with www.cmsnl.com, as they have great schematics and a kick ass parts selection.

Good luck with her, very entertaining (in a good way usually) bikes. And deep 6 that CL type knobby in favor of something a bit more friendly to your chassis. CLs were full frame, they can take the shaking a bit better than the stressed member CBs can.

Best hurry, a lot of model specific hard parts are disappearing... but the diagrams and schematics absolutely put the factory pages to shame.

Nice project. I'm always happy when I see one of the 250/305 series bikes back on the road. I have a bunch of unrelated parts that I've picked up of the years that I hope will slowly morph into a 305 Dream motor in a CL72 Scrambler frame.

I have a pair of very good condition original mufflers that are going to go on ebay in the next 10 days. PM me if you want them before they get shipped off somewhere.

I have a front fender, just not the braces for it. Those I can do. I have the exhaust pipes as well and they're in usable shape.
I'll be taking the engine in for work next week or so, that is, if I don't decide I want a challenge and open her up myself.

@rider52 When you open the garage every ten minutes expecting something new to be there? Yeah, I know the feeling... or is that the fridge?

@jsharp are those stock carbs on your CB? I've searched the web for hours looking for some that are decently compatible.

mine are the stock ones. you can mount some mikuni's if you want to have some manifolds made. The stock carbs should be fine for city riding even with a mild tune. The most annoying part is the pathetic collection of replacement parts available.

Back
Top Bottom