www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: What size air compressor?  (Read 900 times)

Offline diesel450

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • "Fast with a past"
What size air compressor?
« on: Aug 11, 2009, 11:35:39 »
Hi,

Looking to buy a compressor to blast and spray paint with primarily. I'm wondering what size I need? I have a small work space and won't be working on much other than bikes so I'm looking for the smallest one that will do the job. I have a porter cable pancake which is great for shooting nails but cannot keep up with continual air use such as blasting and spraying.

Thanks!!

Offline diesel450

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • "Fast with a past"
Re: What size air compressor?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2009, 00:02:00 »
I figured it out with a little research. I can't afford the big boys right now but I got one that will handle the amount of blasting that I need to do. Thanks for the input!

Offline djmaynard

« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2017, 23:31:58 »
Well I’ll bring up this topic again, don’t want to go overboard, but want to use for grinding and wrenching.

Oil or no oil?
Size?
Reasoning?
I have no idea

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Offline Ryan Stecken

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2017, 04:05:15 »
Interested too in this thread!keep it coming!

Offline DesmoDog

« Reply #4 on: Oct 05, 2017, 09:46:47 »
In general... nothing you plug in to 110 volt will be over about 2hp. Claims of 6hp 110 volt compressors are based on power at start up which doesn't last as long as it took you to read this sentence. If you want to run 10scfm at 90psi (blasting???) you need a 230 volt unit. Two stage if you want high pressure. (~125+)

Right now I'm debating getting a 3hp 230 volt single stage, which will probably cost around $700 (new). Bonus is it will be quieter than my "6hp" Craftsman unit which is really about 2hp and can't even dream of keeping up with about 90% of the tools I use with it. In fact that's my main reason for wanting a new one, my current unit is too damn loud to use in the shop I have (my basement)

So basically take all the money you can and buy the biggest one you can find. It will be too small for some things and okey dokey for others, and you'll get by with it.

EDIT: FWIW I've been using the 110v Craftsman for years. I've done minor blasting with it, and painted a couple bikes with it, so it can do most of what I want, but as mentioned it's louder than hell and does NOT do well with cutting tools and air grinders. No 110v unit will. But in a pinch you can get by if you don't mind stopping to let the compressor catch up now and then.
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2017, 09:52:10 by DesmoDog »

Offline SONIC.

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Reminds me of...me No, I'm sure of it. I hate him
« Reply #5 on: Oct 05, 2017, 09:56:30 »
Minimum 5hp for blasting.
Buy a used REAL compressor instead of new one from lowes or home depot.
Quincy, Saylor Beall, Curtis, Ingersol Rand, etc.

Offline SONIC.

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Reminds me of...me No, I'm sure of it. I hate him
« Reply #6 on: Oct 05, 2017, 10:09:08 »
I started out with a 2HP 30 gal and those are good for inflating tires, and maybe busting a nut loose with an impact wrench that's about it.

Next I had a 5 HP Saylor-Beall 80 Gal which is a great compressor. I kept it for whenever I build another home shop. It runs a lot but would keep up with a blast gun or an impact or one guy on a sander.

Eventually I had 2 guys running orbitals, machinery pulling air and a plasma cutter pulling air so my current compressor is a 20HP Quincy with a 120 gal tank. It's even marginal but I can't run much more power at my present shop. I added a 900 gallon tank to the mix which helps a lot.

Ideally for a guy in a garage that actually wants to be able to blast and run air tools, I would get a 5hp 50-80 gallon compressor capable of 15-20 cfm at 175psi.
Saylor Beall, Curtis, Quincy are all made to be run 24 hours a day. Buy a used one and don't look back.
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2017, 10:14:24 by SONIC. »

Offline 1fasgsxr

« Reply #7 on: Oct 05, 2017, 13:12:00 »
Go bigger than you think you can get buy with.  I wish I had went bigger than the one I have.

Offline Sav0r

• ChrisLivengood.net
« Reply #8 on: Oct 05, 2017, 13:51:49 »
Like my father says, “more’s better, too much is just right.”
Sav0r the adventure.

Visit www.chrislivengood.net to get more information on my RD350 dubbed Mia Wallace as well as my other projects and snafus.

Instagram

Offline djmaynard

« Reply #9 on: Oct 05, 2017, 17:08:45 »
So that would mean oil then? As those are supposed to last longer?

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON