roller bearing help

-Max-

Hey guys. So I installed some roller bearings on my CB175 front end, everything seem to go together fine. When I took the bike for ride the other day I noticed some play in the front end when I would hit the front brakes. So I pulled the triple tree top off and made sure that I had everything nice and tight. Went for another ride and still had play in the front end. Any idea what I might be missing here?

are the triple clamps retightened enough? did you tighten the spanner nut on top of the top bearing enough to put enough pressure on the bearings? needle rollers usually won't allow the steering to move as freely, so they might not be clamped enough.

Good advice. Try to lift the front wheel off the ground and grab the bottom of the forks and see if you can move them back and forwards. Or just leave the bike on two wheels hold the front brake on and try to rock the bike back and forwards. Any movement there means the bearings are not down tightly.

It may be that the cones were not fully seated in the frame and are now seating themselves. It's also possible that the nut is down as far as it can go and it's not pressing on the bearings. If so, you'll need a washer under the nut to fill the gap.

if its extremely noticable when going from decel back to accel or vice versa, then its DEFINITELY that the bearing nut (the one in the middle of the tripple tree) is loose. what you have to do is LOOSEN the side bolts first, then tighten that nut down, then retighten everything.

you DID check the stack height of the bearings first and shimmed correctly with the new set, right?

teazers right; if the bolt bottoms out, put a shim in there.

teazer said:
Good advice. Try to lift the front wheel off the ground and grab the bottom of the forks and see if you can move them back and forwards. Or just leave the bike on two wheels hold the front brake on and try to rock the bike back and forwards. Any movement there means the bearings are not down tightly.

It may be that the cones were not fully seated in the frame and are now seating themselves. It's also possible that the nut is down as far as it can go and it's not pressing on the bearings. If so, you'll need a washer under the nut to fill the gap.

Great advice guys, yeah its sounding like I might need to run a washer under the spanner nut, cause I do have that sucker torqued down real tight. Thanks for the advice guys Ill let you know how this turns out.

-Max- said:
Great advice guys, yeah its sounding like I might need to run a washer under the spanner nut, cause I do have that sucker torqued down real tight. Thanks for the advice guys Ill let you know how this turns out.

washer should fix it. i get the feeling you forgot to shim the bearings when you installed and thats why its bottoming out.

Back
Top Bottom