www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: POLISHING 101  (Read 26004 times)

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
Re: POLISHING 101
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2010, 03:54:53 »
You can download a free how to polish from Caswell Plating.
 As they supply some good stuff it's probably worth a look
http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/buffman.htm
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
I gave my girlfriend an orgasm the other night, but, she spat it back at me
 Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry
 Itís not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you werenít doing it  (Terry Pratchett)
CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Offline midnightcafe

• Flickr Page:
« Reply #11 on: Jun 17, 2011, 19:07:33 »
I just rebuffed all my aluminum parts. A thorough twice-over is all it takes. All the haze and dirt are gone and it all looks good as new!

Offline Cafe Redneck

« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2011, 16:35:13 »
Thanks Midnight and DTTer's!! I just started polishing, I've added this page to my fav's so I can get to it quick for ref. I guess I found my problem, I'm just lazy and don't want to do all the sanding.

Offline aaronf

« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2012, 14:38:56 »
I'm definitely saving the experience shared here for later. Thanks for sharing some beautiful work, too, guys.

Offline swan

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Kickstart, shift on right, drum brakes and spokes
    • 1962 BSA Gold Star barn find restoration
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2012, 20:39:59 »
Good topic! There are no shortcuts to a mirror finish.
I would add the importance of a good light source to ensure you have sanded out the scratches from the previous grit.
1966 Triton cafe, 1962 BSA Gold Star DBD34, and 1966 T120 Triumph Bonneville.
BSA Gold Star barn find restoration
1975 CB400F Cafe Racer build
1966 Triumph Bonnevile restoration

Offline redbiker

• Friend of BillW,trudging the road of Happy Destiny
« Reply #15 on: Aug 24, 2012, 02:34:10 »
Another great polishing product is Simichrome. Thirty years or so ago it was included in the BMW motorcycle tool kit. Here's a description of it.

"      Its unique, finely mixed formula produces a rich, brilliant shine on any uncoated, non-ferrous, metal surface including, brass, gold, silver, aluminum, magnesium, pewter, chrome, sterling, copper and stainless steel.

Used by professionals for years, Simichrome does a beautiful job of removing surface rust from chrome, polishing aluminum until it looks like new, even sprucing up delicate, heirloom family silver. And it wonít
leave scratches or abrasive marks. In as little as 30 seconds, you can watch a small, faded item goes from dull, oxidized metal to a having a perfect mirror finish.

In addition to restoring the original luster, Simichrome also leaves an invisible, protective coating to prevent further tarnishing and help keep the shine much longer. A solid favorite for home, industry, auto, motorcycle and antique users, Simichrome is the fastest, most effective metal polishing and cleaning agent in the industry today.

Removes surface rust from chrome
    Polishes aluminum to a "like new" finish
    Leaves behind an invisible protective coating

Just my  $0.02
redbiker, coming to you from the land of Dazed and Confused
"I'm not afraid of going fast but crashing and burning really sucks"
Florissant, Colorado, 8500ft, the near edge of nowhere and 1/2 way up to the top of the world.

Offline johnu

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #16 on: Aug 01, 2013, 21:40:39 »
Sand, sand, sand, sand, by the way did I mention sand!? Hehehehe! Brother Midnightcafe this is a great thread for helping others with polishing and your parts look very nice!

One of the biggest mistakes I see do it your self polishers make is sanding in different directions. For a show quality finish you want to make sure to sand in one direction, or for a round piece like the hoops on a rim sand around the rim just as it is shaped.

I polish professionally almost daily and the single most important thing in my opinion is patience, when you have a part sanded down enough for a mirror finish you do not even need a wheel, over 90% of the polishing I do is fully sanded and polished by hand.    www.dwmsracing.com

This photo was taken in the shade and this rim was originally a heavy cast finish...

...this rim was originally a machined finish...

...cb550four cylinder head...

Ok some very nice work there for sure.  I really am not simple but please humor me, what does sanding by hand actually mean?  Do you actually just have say a rubber pad with the sanding medium on it?  I am trying to polish the tail section in the pic.

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
« Reply #17 on: Aug 02, 2013, 11:00:52 »
Yep, thats it
just use finer and finer grits until you can polish it
The better the finish the longer it lasts and easier it is to maintain
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
I gave my girlfriend an orgasm the other night, but, she spat it back at me
 Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry
 Itís not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you werenít doing it  (Terry Pratchett)
CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Offline Roc City Cafe

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • I make things.
    • Roc City Cafe Racers
« Reply #18 on: Aug 02, 2013, 11:53:49 »
if you're sanding aluminum bodywork, you palm sand with 120, then rub a layer of layout dye over it, then sand all the layout dye off with 220, then do the same and sand 320, then buff with a hard cotton wheel and brown compound, it's the fastest method I've found yet

Offline johnu

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #19 on: Aug 02, 2013, 12:51:15 »
Ok perfect thanks!