XS650RR Project

XS650RR

Go'n In Deeper ... Come'n Out Harder
Bike started out as a 1976 Yamaha XS650. Here are the mods so far:

** Frame has major mods as in extensive bracing.Frames are very weak and flex badly when pushed hard.

** Rear Sets, foot rests and shift/brake peddles are off of ebay, mounting was done be me.

** Front forks are stock, except for progressive springs and different weight oil. I have made and installed an new lower triple clamp and a front fork brace. This is in order to stiffen up the front end. Steering damper also to be installed

** Front fender is off a Kawasaki EXR250

** Brake rotors are stock dimensions and are made in Japan and purchased through Mikes XS in Florida. They weigh 12lbs lighter than the stock rotors :eek:

** Exhaust is a Jemco system, they are out of Houston Texas. Pipe is nickel coated.

** Wheels are stock spoked, spokes have been replaced with stainless and the rims have been powder coated black.

** Rear swingarm in stock except for the bracing I have done. This is stiffen up and stop the flex of the rear end.

** Tank is a TZ replica, seat is off of ebay and was meant for a Norton Commando, fairing in also a TZ250 upper.

** Engine, when completed will be bored out to a 750cc, with correlo rods, Web cam, extensive head work, lightened and balanced crank and will be brought to life through a set of Keihin 35mm smooth bore carbs.

Will up date as I have more completed.

308097460_65ca85583e_b.jpg

IMG_1129.jpg

These goodies just showed up today 02/16/07 ;D

IMG_1148.jpg

:eek: Cool bike ;D
I want XS650 more and more ;D
Is your frame just blasted? I confuesed with brasing - joints look like usual welding.

maksuttt said:
:eek: Cool bike ;D
I want XS650 more and more ;D
Is your frame just blasted? I confuesed with brasing - joints look like usual welding.

Maksuttt, ya the frame has been media blasted, and a bit of primer here and there. Will be heading to the powder coaters soon.

Tintin said:
Any reason you didn't go for alloy rims?

Tintin .... Man have you checked the weight of the stock Yamaha alloy wheels !!!. It was was all down to weight, the spoked wheels weigh about half of what the alloys weigh. When I build my XS cafe I will go a complete different direction and use some modern day alloy wheels .... ;D

Yeah - I assumed the Yamaha spoked rims were steel with chrome. I didn't mean to suggest alloy mag rims (I prefer spokes) - meant alloy rims for your fancy new spokes.

If you're suggesting the stock Yamaha rims are actually alloy and not steel, I'd be a happy camper!

Which is great - when I was looking for 40 hole rims for my CB550F, there were 36 hole rims all over the place but rarely 40's.

Tintin said:
Yeah - I assumed the Yamaha spoked rims were steel with chrome. I didn't mean to suggest alloy mag rims (I prefer spokes) - meant alloy rims for your fancy new spokes.

If you're suggesting the stock Yamaha rims are actually alloy and not steel, I'd be a happy camper!

Sorry guys got a little confused there. Yamaha's came with both aluminum and steel wheels (for spokes). The Boranni style (raised lip) are aluminum the others are steel.

As for spokes . 36 hole is correct for the standard models. The Heritage Specials had 64 in the 19" front / disc brake and 48 in the 16" rear / drum brake

Hope that helps

64 spokes in the front? That could look kind of neat. Will have to find a pic of those wheels.

BTW - I see the raised lip now in the pics - hard to see with the black powdercoat.

I'm looking at tanks for my xs650 project - what is the upper frame like on the 650? From pics I've seen it's a single top tube from the seat all the way to the head. Looks like it can take a pretty narrow tunnel tank.

Tintin said:
BTW - I see the raised lip now in the pics - hard to see with the black powdercoat.

I'm looking at tanks for my xs650 project - what is the upper frame like on the 650? From pics I've seen it's a single top tube from the seat all the way to the head. Looks like it can take a pretty narrow tunnel tank.

Ya it is a single tube from the seat base to the steering head, that why I mentioned in an earllier post that you style of tanks are pretty much endless.

Tim, if you check my post at SOHC4 re "help from England". I returned an alloy tank to Unity Equipe that may fit your frame. ?
Check the pictures, esp the the way the rear of the tank is- boxed in- . If it looks close, you might e-mail them and make an offer. I'm sure it's going to the dumpster, otherwise. ?

Tim, If my memory serves me a yamaha 750 (not sure which) had a longer tank with the knee indents. It is not a full blown aluminum cafe tank but it is almost a direct swap. I imagine the seat wont fit anymore. I am going to ebay to look now. ::)

sorry to hijack but I found some.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1977-YAMAHA-XS750-GAS-TANK_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35586QQihZ020QQitemZ300076353543QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1977-YAMAHA-XS750-GAS-TANK_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35586QQihZ020QQitemZ300076353543QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-1977-Yamaha-XS750-Maxi-Maroon-Fuel-Tank-Assembly_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35581QQihZ010QQitemZ200074700125QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Back
Top Bottom