Swingarm for a CB350

Cafe_to_go

Coast to Coast
Is there another swingarm that will fit a CB350 to add a wider tire? I believe right now the biggest one that can go on is a 110 tire, anything bigger and it will rub with the chain.

What sort of rim are you running? The stock size of 110 for my old 550F could be bumped up to 120, but not much more than that even with clearance to the chain and swingarm - at some point the rim needs to be wider too.

Sorry I didn't answer your question - I'm not sure myself, but wanted to see if the rim issue was also being considered. A 120 over a 110 tire isn't worth changing swingarms for in my opinion anyhow.

I'm running 110 on my BMW R75. Are you looking for improved traction or the look of a bigger fatter tire?

Hey.. I know for a fact that you can run 120/90-18 65 Height on the rears for a cb350.
DrJ runs that tire size on his cb350 and it looks awesome. My old bike had 110s in the back and 100's in the front.

Cheers
N

Tintin said:
What sort of rim are you running? The stock size of 110 for my old 550F could be bumped up to 120, but not much more than that even with clearance to the chain and swingarm - at some point the rim needs to be wider too.

Sorry I didn't answer your question - I'm not sure myself, but wanted to see if the rim issue was also being considered. A 120 over a 110 tire isn't worth changing swingarms for in my opinion anyhow.

I'm running 110 on my BMW R75. Are you looking for improved traction or the look of a bigger fatter tire?

Thanks for your reply, I wanted to go up to a 160, however I would need to change the swingarm and rim to accomodate a 160. I was not aware you could go up to a 120 on a stock rim. I would prefer this better then spending more money. I just wanted a big tire for the look, I don't plan on racing.

This what I run on my race bike: Might help you get an idea of what a 120/80 looks like.
Rear wheel 18” x 3” aluminium rim. with 1 gauge oversize stainless steel spokes. Avon 120/80/VB18 tyre.
ea8d6f15.jpg
eb201889.jpg

ea8d6ea4.jpg

ProTeal55 said:
I like the oversized spokes...
Apparently they were needed. The previous owner told me that the power generated by the motor (claimed 42RWHP) and the stresses put on the rear wheel during racing were breaking the stock spokes .
The spokes in the wheel now were ordered from England. If you are interested I could find out where he got them, as I still keep in touch him.

Cheers, Graham

BANDIT said:
This what I run on my race bike: Might help you get an idea of what a 120/80 looks like.
Rear wheel 18” x 3” aluminium rim. with 1 gauge oversize stainless steel spokes. Avon 120/80/VB18 tyre.
ea8d6f15.jpg
eb201889.jpg

ea8d6ea4.jpg

WHAOOO.. Thats sexy!!...
the 120 look really nice on that bike!!..

I actually tried to steal Graham's bike at the bike show, but I couldn't get it started!!!...DAmn Kick Start!!..
This was taken just moments before Graham and the other guys jumped me and gave me a beating..
I still got bruises...
Jan2007BikeShow.jpg

Thanks for your reply, I wanted to go up to a 160, however I would need to change the swingarm and rim to accomodate a 160. I was not aware you could go up to a 120 on a stock rim. I would prefer this better then spending more money. I just wanted a big tire for the look, I don't plan on racing.

Don't forget that just changing to a wider swingarm and rim won't solve the rubbing issue. Think of how the motor is bolted into the frame and where your front sprocket is located in relation to the rear wheel. So unless you can move the sprocket out further, your left foot peg out further, your side case out further, shocks and mounts...see where I'm going with this?

Anybody have any idea if I can fit a 120 on my KZ400. It currently has a 110/90/18, but looks way too skinny...

Gentlemen, please remember that big tires just for big tires sake isn't always the best. Maybe you can shoehorn a 160 in but what would it do to the handling?

valvesprung said:
Anybody have any idea if I can fit a 120 on my KZ400. It currently has a 110/90/18, but looks way too skinny...

Probably.

Check and see how much clearence you have between your tire and your swingarm on each side.
Then try and find out how wide a 120 is compared to the width of your tire (at the farthest point - with air in it).

Or you could always just go to any shop that sells tires and has an old guy working there - he'll be able to tell you ;D.

Ease said:
Probably.

Check and see how much clearence you have between your tire and your swingarm on each side.
Then try and find out how wide a 120 is compared to the width of your tire (at the farthest point - with air in it).
i.e. Get someone like me to do it.

Or you could always just go to any shop that sells tires and has an old guy working there - he'll be able to tell you ;D.

Don't forget the rim width, if it's narrow it will pinch the tire and affect the contour of the tire. I run a 120 on my race bike and my rim is 3" wide.

Back
Top Bottom