www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: Down under, an idiot and a 400F  (Read 368610 times)

Offline neevo

• The blog of my custom CB400F build
Down under, an idiot and a 400F
« on: Nov 26, 2011, 06:01:49 »
It all started with a random picture find on google images... Spiderman's to be precise (Bonita Applebum). Never before had I seen such a beautiful bike, classic roots, retro looks with a stunning mix of customisation. Unfortunately this started an infatuation which not only consumed a large part of my life but also my bandwidth at home.

I had no intentions of buying a bike and having a go myself, but i was watching some bikes on eBay (just to see what they went for) and fell in love with a dirt cheap wreck. 9 agonising days later and $411 AUD out of pocket I was the proud owner of this little beauty:

Little did I realise how far away it actually was. I am in Sydney and the bike was in Mildura... a mere 1020 km's away. Oh well, the heart wants what the heart wants, and it was an adventure :). 1020km's of endless straight roads and fields:

Saturday I filled the car with fuel and headed out on the 22hr round trip to pick up my newly acquired bike: a 1976 Honda 400F (Four).

Here she is back at home:

First up was to give it a good clean, crack out a couple of cans of degreaser and the trusty Karcher and hit it hard. It scrubbed up well and cleaned off the caked on crud and crap:

Had a bit of a whoopsie moment rolling the bike back in to the garage (I had undone the real axel bolt) when the rear wheel fell off!!! Oh man these bikes are heavy, struggled to get the wheel back on.

Was planning on running the bike before I stripped it down but still haven't got some carbs yet, that can wait. Time to strip it down, first off came the loom:

Made sure to label all the loom well, as I have no idea where this stull should plug in:

With the bike nice and light... or should I say slightly lighter, I rigged up a way to get the bike off the ground so I could strip the swingarm off:

The plank of wood wasn't really doing the job. so I got some steel reinforcement sticks, covered it in hose and used that instead:

Got into stripping the bike well and truely. Fork bottoms were a bit of a pain:

Made sure all parts were clearly labeled before being stored:

Made a high tech front end holder upper:

The font caliper has a metal tube running into it, this has a thread which has broken off, can anyone advise the best way of getting this out?

On removal of the front sprocket cover I found a few of these worrying items of metal:

I suspect it may be a broken chain link caught up in the gunk, anyone else got any thoughts? Here it is on a chain:

I was going to leave it there, but got the grinder out to start trimming some unwanted tabs. First up the passenger peg mounts, then some of the brackets where the airbox was:

Thats it for day one. More grinding tomorrow.
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2011, 06:35:12 by neevo »

See the condensed version of my full build on my blog!

Offline bikeboy

• a cb900 tragic
Re: Down under, an idiot and a 400F
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2011, 06:08:46 »
Good score neevo. saw that too, but I'd be coming up from Geelong. Not quite as far  ;)

There's a few aussie 400fs on the go at the moment, so have a look around. You're not alone.

cheers
ian

Offline Ryanh

« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2011, 06:30:32 »
Looks good mate I'll be watching this space, Aussie Aussie Aussie oi oi oi haha

Offline neevo

« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2011, 06:40:25 »
Should probably take the time to say I am a Pom down under. So any amazing engineering, bike building work is because I am a Brit.

Anything I bugger up... I will claim to be a true blue Aussie ;)

Offline bikeboy

• a cb900 tragic
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2011, 06:42:04 »
Just a little observation, but as well as a busted shock, there seems to be a bend in that rear sub-frame rail?

ian

Offline neevo

« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2011, 06:52:38 »
Just a little observation, but as well as a busted shock, there seems to be a bend in that rear sub-frame rail?

ian

Yep and yep. I did know about it before I bought it. Shock is easy, was going to buy new ones.

Frame I need some pointers with. There are 2 damaged sections, the one you pointed out, which has tweaked the back end, plus the section where the side stand is. It has taken a hit by a forklift and on pulling it back has crushed the frame and peeled open when pulling it back.

Luckily it's on straight sections for both. I was going to buy some same dimension tube to replace the sections along with tube that fits inside the frame tube, so that I can brace the joint when I weld it.

What do people think?
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2011, 06:54:51 by neevo »

Offline Hoosier Daddy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Earache my eye...
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2011, 07:52:51 »
WELCOME! 400F's are a great little bike, you'll have some fun! Bugger about the forklift damage... I think you did good, but have your work cut out for you so I'm tagging along out of "Morbid Curiosity" ;)
Spend a few hours/ days looking for sources for spares. There be "land pirates" out there who think parts are made of gold... especially those carbies. But research will pay off and help you spend your bike funds wisely.
 You can try to remove the broken threads from the caliper, but you may want to start looking for a replacement... or at a very minimum a rebuild kit.
“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, why don’t you just make sure that you’re just not in fact surrounded by a bunch of assholes, alright?”

JAILBAIT '67 BSA 441 Victor Roadster
STAY CLEAN '67 BSA Spitfire
ROCK-IT '81 CB750C
BOMBER '81 GL1100
OVERKILL '80 GS750
NO CLASS '72 CB450 K5

Offline Ryanh

« Reply #7 on: Nov 26, 2011, 07:57:08 »
Should probably take the time to say I am a Pom down under. So any amazing engineering, bike building work is because I am a Brit.

Anything I bugger up... I will claim to be a true blue Aussie ;)

It doesnt matter me where you originate, your building a bike on Australian soil that has to conform to our strict rules and regulations, for that reason I consider you an Aussie

Offline neevo

« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2011, 07:59:10 »
It doesnt matter me where you originate, your building a bike on Australian soil that has to conform to our strict rules and regulations, for that reason I consider you an Aussie

Fair dinkum!

Offline neevo

« Reply #9 on: Nov 26, 2011, 08:01:20 »
You can try to remove the broken threads from the caliper, but you may want to start looking for a replacement... or at a very minimum a rebuild kit.

So I assume that metal pipe is stock? And I should be able to back it out?

Will give it a go. Worst case I get a replacement.