New rider

BrandonO

Drive it like its stolen!
hey guys imgoing to pickup my very first bike ever tommorrow. im super excited and i thought that DTT could help me out with some questions.

first im picking up a 1980 Honda cx 500.

first he says it bogs out past 2500-3000 rpm. idk what that means, he said it'd need a tune up and just some tlc.

second, the seats look aweful.. id really like to do something like this.. but i dont know if most people custom make their seats or if they buy them like this. but i cant find it anywhere..

and thats about all i'd want to do to it for a while. but those stock seats just look ugly

Welcome to the site man! I can't help much with your problems, but you might have more responses in the "member introduction" area.

Welcome.

Hard to know what "bogs out" means. Is the symptom RPM related, or throttle opening related? If it only runs at idle and just above idle but cuts out at more throttle opening it sounds like maybe it may have clogged main jets in the carbs. The main jets are down low in the float bowl, and sometimes bikes that have been sitting around a long time will have the main jets all clogged up with varnish.

GS850Carbs1.jpg

I have tried using stuff like Seafoam to clean up carbs without pulling them off. Like Rocky said to Bulwinkle, "That trick never works." The carbs need to be taken apart and cleaned.

Back
Top Bottom