Possible Purchase... '77 CB750 K... Opinions?

Ease

83 XJ650RK, 77 TS-250
A buddy of mine is looking at buying a '77 CB750K. And I'm lookin for you guys' opinion on the bike. Here's the Add:

"1977 CB 750K, New Back Tire, Battery, & Paint. Runs Exc. $1000.00 ONO" (Canadian).

I just went out and looked at the bike. It starts first flick (or first Kick) and sounds good when running.

Only problem is that the frame had a little bit of surface rust around, and the chrome is the same. Not worried about re-chroming anything.. theres no chromer around here anyway and he'll probably end up painting the bad stuff black.

77CB750K1.jpg

77CB750K2.jpg

77CB750K3.jpg

77CB750K5.jpg

Thinking about offoring the guy $900.CDN. Whattya think?

What does it idle at? Does the idle stick at any particular RPM? A compression check would be great, and would let you see the plugs. Those 4 into 4 pipes? Make sure exhaust is coming out of all 4.

If you don't like the style of tank (77/78 only ones with that tank style) you're stuck. Earlier model 750 tanks won't fit.

Also a note on the Honda 750 is you CANNOT remove the valve cover with the engine in the frame. So if you ever need to do any serious work on the engine or want to have the valves done etc., you need to pull the engine.

Side covers ain't cheap - figure $40 each side easy. Sprockets/chain another $150 etc. etc. Those gauges are pretty sun-faded which means with the surface rust it has spent a lot of time outside uncovered.

Always a hard question to answer - you gotta love the bike to spend the money, because $900 is just the tip of the iceberg if it's going to look pretty. If it's going to be a rattle-can rat-bike (which is great) then you're looking at tires likely ($300 installed) and not much else to safety it.

Check ALL the electrics - rear running light when bike turned on - probably front signals should light up as well as front-running lights with the headlight (my 1976 550F did, or at least when I fixed that it did). Don't want to get hung up on a safety because the horn doesn't work.

The bike will be a low budget cafe.
Clubmans (or clipons if clubmans don't fit the large tank), remove rear fender, cafe seat (either a fiberglass one made from scratch or a fancy Giuliari if I can source one... and don't have to spend the cash on clip-ons).
Frame will be rattle-canned with rust check paint as best as we can with the motor in (covered in tape and garbage bags)... and the tank will probably be painted black as well.
Sidecovers... Meh, it ain't gonna be pretty.
The bike has a back tire with 116 Miles on it, and there's a new front included with the sale (not installed).
Gauges are up in the air... the bike is in MPH and I live in Canada... so I may need to do something about that to get it registered.

I'll have to check out what you were saying about running lights and such. I'd hate to have a buddy buy a bike that was hacked on.

As long as the bike keeps running well I can't see it being worth any less than $900 even in a couple years...

What else should I be looking for if the bike has been outside for so long like you suggested?

If the orig pipes are there and in good shape, that adds value, but not as much as an earlier set of pipes. Probably $150-$200 for the set in decent shape.

locOleoN said:
Go For it.. Its only a grand...

Only a grand... I'll have a real job someday and I'll agree with you.

*Update*

The bike won't shift - and therefore was not purchased.
My buddy who was gonna buy it is waiting for the PO... or I guess "CO" to fix the problem, then he's taking his friend's father, a small engine mechanic, out to look at the bike - and shoot the guy a lowball offor.
Hope it works out for him, I cant wait to tinker with a Honda.

Atta boy..
Its not that difficult to change the clutch...Even easier on a cb550 as I learned last summer!!.
Id offer him $400.

'not shifting' could be any number of problems, including bent parts inside the transmission, which means taking the engine out of the frame, and taking it pretty much completely apart.

Any bike will shift into neutral with or without a clutch working properly, so beware of overly optimistic post-whores ;)

I rode a CB750F in London that could have been purchased for $500. Started up like a dream on a cold sunday morning after sitting outside in the rain all night. I actually rode it, shifted, etc. etc.

Deals are out there - don't get sucked into the first 'deal' you think you've found.

LOL!!... Aww.. Just buy it man.. Don't listen to Tim...did you see his picture??:
http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=502.0
How can ya trust a guy who wears a bikini???.. LOL!!! ;D....(oh shit.. I think I just opened up a can of worms....LOL!!)

See, the problem is Noel doesn't mind not being able to shift gears, 'cause he never rides more than 5KM from his house.

BAHahahaha!!...Aw camon... thats not fair!!!... from my place to Tims and back has gotta be at least 5.5 kms!!!

Tintin said:
See, the problem is Noel doesn't mind not being able to shift gears, 'cause he never rides more than 5KM from his house.

i hear he only pushes his bike up and down the street - that's why he never has problems with it.

:eek: :eek:

bluemetaldog said:
Tintin said:
i hear he only pushes his bike up and down the street - that's why he never has problems with it.

AW MAN!!... Im being double tagged here...by the 2 other Administrators!!!....talk about kicking a guy in the nuts when he already down!!...LOL!!

locOleoN said:
bluemetaldog said:
Tintin said:

AW MAN!!... Im being double tagged here...by the 2 other Administrators!!!....talk about kicking a guy in the nuts when he already down!!...LOL!!

why are you down noel??? you started this!!

I may be wrong but I would bet that the shift linkage under the left side cover has gotten out of whack. This is very common on these bikes. If that is the problem it is easy to find out and easy to fix.

900$ for a rusty bike that dosen't shift IS too much.

shifting could be as a simple loose nut in the shift mechanism (happened to me) or it could mean splitting the cases. Easy work but time consuming (been there too)

Unless a bike is newer and near certifable I wouldn't pay much more than 1$/cc. Non runners are closer to 0.50$/cc

Deals are out there - my 750F was one of two near complete basket cases I bought for 50$ - or 0.03$/cc. Certified and on the road for under $400!

My friend bought a CB400T instead.
It's a Hawk, so it won't exactly be a cafe bike.
Clipons, solo seat, rearsets... Just more of a street bike with some race trim.

A couple of issues with the brakes as of now.

Anyone have a brake line off of a 82 CB400T Hawk???

Not a Hawk , but lots of others. Usually just a 12 or 13mm bolt holding on banjo fittings. Sometimes a hard tube line down at the caliper. Be sure to use two wrench or you risk kinking the tube.

Of course any line off means the nightmare of bleeding the lines. I find them especially a pain on bikes.

The PO cut the brake line when he swapped out the front end for whatever reason... somehow I guess he figured it was a good idea.

I'll check on the length and fittings and what not.

Also, I have a set of carbs (for the CB400T) and an extra set of side covers (Hawk) if anyone wants to trade up for some forks in good shape that will accept the disc setup... And of course I have the other front end that we won't be using...

Back
Top Bottom