www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: Gasket Scan Library  (Read 16047 times)

Offline Hoosier Daddy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Earache my eye...
Re: Gasket Scan Library
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2013, 08:29:05 »

Hey Hoosier,

I think maybe you found my post over on hondatwins - I post as "CB650" there....
Nope, your post was about a week after I started this! (great minds...) But thanks for the contribution, that link oughtta work just fine. I could go right to your scans. But, I am a member there as well so if a "non-member" to  Hondatwins.net has issues we can work on linking direct. (While I was there I pirated the CB450 set ::) )

would these be the same as a 750k?
Sorry Ncstatecamp, not goin there, Towards the begining I said...
As I said, I know mine will fit 79-82 DOHC CB750 (all) and will list them that way once entered... but as for the original listed 76 CB750F I didn't want to risk including a wrong model or year so I left it as submitted. ;)
...that's why I wanted the OEM parts numbers included. That way you can cross referance them to see for yourself. If this grows to the extent I hope it does, there is no way I could know what all fits what. :)
« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2013, 09:03:00 by Hoosier Daddy »
“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, why don’t you just make sure that you’re just not in fact surrounded by a bunch of assholes, alright?”

JAILBAIT '67 BSA 441 Victor Roadster
STAY CLEAN '67 BSA Spitfire
ROCK-IT '81 CB750C
BOMBER '81 GL1100
OVERKILL '80 GS750
NO CLASS '72 CB450 K5

Offline trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2013, 09:11:27 »
Also, if you would get a thickness of original material w your digital caliper.  That would be helpful

Offline Mr.B

• Everybody likes curves, when we talk about roads.
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2013, 04:34:38 »
Love this, And I think not only gaskets but decals, manuals and anything similar for old bikes should also get digitalized for future use, that way nothing will get lost and never be replaced. But that's a bigger project for the ambitious.

I have new OEM gaskets for the Yamaha XJ 550 (81-83), I'll scan them and make them in a vector format so they are ready for the cutter.
//Broberg
Don't forget, Vikings only @ http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?board=88.0

Offline mikewerx

« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2013, 11:11:03 »
What would be the best way to cut them?  I have a decent sized laser cutter, would that be safe?  And where is the best place to get gasket materials?
'73 CB350F Tracker - in progress
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=45358.msg497390#msg497390
'77 XS750/850 - in progress
'79 Harley Ironhead - in progress

Offline Ncstatecamp

Gasket Scan Library
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2013, 04:49:18 »
Would scanning the object that gets gasketed help? Like could I scan the valve cover for the cb work and just cut that profile?

Offline Scruffy

• West Tennessee
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2013, 00:48:05 »
NC, easiest way to cut your own gaskets... Place the part on the paper/cork, tap it down with a rubber mallet. Part shape will transfer to the gasket material. Cut and hole punch as needed, use an exacto knife and I like to use sharpened cartridge cases as hole punches. I used to use black fountain pen ink as the transfer medium but it has gotten expensive. You can lightly oil coat the part and use it to transfer the shape, but, the gasket may not seal right, many paper gaskets go in dry, so do most cork ones. You want them to swell up after they get installed, not before.

You can rub the part with charcoal for transfer onto light colored gasket stock, but again, it may not let the piece seal up properly.
Professional scooter trash.

Offline mikewerx

« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2013, 12:14:42 »
Good words guys.  So is there a gasket library available? for CB350F's?
'73 CB350F Tracker - in progress
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=45358.msg497390#msg497390
'77 XS750/850 - in progress
'79 Harley Ironhead - in progress

Offline Hoosier Daddy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Earache my eye...
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2013, 12:48:39 »
Good words guys.  So is there a gasket library available? for CB350F's?
Haven't had one submitted for here yet... You could check out www.sohc4.net and see if anyone has down loaded them there...
“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, why don’t you just make sure that you’re just not in fact surrounded by a bunch of assholes, alright?”

JAILBAIT '67 BSA 441 Victor Roadster
STAY CLEAN '67 BSA Spitfire
ROCK-IT '81 CB750C
BOMBER '81 GL1100
OVERKILL '80 GS750
NO CLASS '72 CB450 K5

Offline Ncstatecamp

« Reply #18 on: Feb 18, 2013, 02:38:38 »
NC, easiest way to cut your own gaskets... Place the part on the paper/cork, tap it down with a rubber mallet. Part shape will transfer to the gasket material. Cut and hole punch as needed, use an exacto knife and I like to use sharpened cartridge cases as hole punches. I used to use black fountain pen ink as the transfer medium but it has gotten expensive. You can lightly oil coat the part and use it to transfer the shape, but, the gasket may not seal right, many paper gaskets go in dry, so do most cork ones. You want them to swell up after they get installed, not before.

You can rub the part with charcoal for transfer onto light colored gasket stock, but again, it may not let the piece seal up properly.

I might have to give this a try... thank you very much

Offline Bert Jan

• Holy Modification Batman
    • Outsiders Netherlands
« Reply #19 on: Feb 21, 2013, 19:52:57 »
eh.. dont wanna rain on the parade.... but when you scan, upload, download and print an image on various machines with various software, it's 99% of the time NOT the exact same size. Kinda important with gaskets right?

Therefor, i think its handy to scan them on top of a rasterized piece of paper, like this:

Ofcourse you'll have to WRITE ON THE RASTER PAPER what the scale is. DO WRITE it on, as a post might get deleted, but a picture will stay forever, with its scale.

What do you guys think?
http://outsidersmotorcycles.com
http://www.facebook.com/OutsidersMotorcycles/

Netherlands represent!

Luctor et Emgo - I struggle and give up

'Anything we did for Uncle Scam or Nasa was soldered, period. No crimps allowed.' -Swagger

'Real men lick their hands and bridge the solenoid with their fingers.' -Sonreir.

I do stuff all the time that wasn't meant to be done  ;D Fun, isn't it  ;) - CrazyPJ

You want to lubricate the nipples- Tim